BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Flashy09
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 35i

New buyer about to order - a few questions!

I am all set to order my 35i. I am a little undecided on a few things though!

I think I will go with the White. Does black with aluminium look ok? I don't really like the X3 wood much. I assume the only other color would be beige ...oyster too light?

Is Blue Water Metallic like a baby blue or does it look more like a silvery blue or grayish blue? Is Oyster the best interior or can does it look ok in black?

BMW Apps - is this worth it? What is the video playback?

Power liftgate - how heavy is the tailgate to close? I have managed all these years without and am thinking to not go for it, but if the tailgate is especially heavy maybe I should

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I was going to get oyster with white exterior. Oyster has a 2 tone interior (bottom of doors is black) which I think looks great. I'm not sure how well oyster goes with aluminum though. I picked wave wood (darkest wood).

The 2012 35i with sports package comes with the black headliner. You may want to keep that in mind if you're getting that package when choosing color combos.
      09-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
welkerbrads
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 white X3

I have the alpine white with the Oyster and the dark waveline interior looks good. I also liked the dark reddish brown also. It's what you like.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
First 35i I ordered did not have the power tailgate and it was fine to close but the rear of the vehicle gets dirty and in rain or snow would be messy to close with your hand. When I ordered my second X3, I added the power tailgate and now that I have it I think it was one of the best "add on" features that I didn't have the first time. I use it a lot more than I ever thought I would and it is so convenient. I think it is well worth the $500.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashy09 View Post
I am all set to order my 35i. I am a little undecided on a few things though!

I think I will go with the White. Does black with aluminium look ok? I don't really like the X3 wood much. I assume the only other color would be beige ...oyster too light?
Aluminum and black are always a good combo, I'm not so sure about aluminum and oyster though.

I would like to ask if you saw the wood trim for the X3 in person or if it was online. Online photos really don't do the wood trims justice, especially fineline wave, (the darker one) online pictures make it look like they skinned a black and orange zebra.

Quote:
Power liftgate - how heavy is the tailgate to close? I have managed all these years without and am thinking to not go for it, but if the tailgate is especially heavy maybe I should
The tailgate isn't heavy at all and I close it with one hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Gotta get power tailgate. It looks cool opening and closing on it's own.
The future is here today!
      09-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
i have power tailgate - of all the features on my X3 i could take or leave it - i almost split out the convenience package so i got everything but and saved a few hundred dollars, but i decided to just get the package. its ok - i do like the fact the height it opens too is adjustable - in my garage on the top setting it came within a half inch of the door - being able to adjust the height fixes that problem - i don't want garage door marks in my liftgate.

In the end, i ordered my X3 pretty loaded besides Msport and HUD seemed to make more sense to just get it
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:14 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Get the power tailgate if you think it's cool or if you'll find it useful when the car's dirty and you don't want to touch it with your hands. Don't get it because it's too heavy to close without. It simply isn't.

It's also one more thing that could go wrong and in my case, I think it would only be a matter of time before my wife opened it and it hit something!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #9
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Agree with Power liftgate, it'll come handy in some situation.
Me I can't choose options, everything is pre-packaged by the dealer, if I want power liftgate I have to go with the Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I find power hatches/gates to be too damn slow and finicky. I avoid them unless they have some other benefit that outweighs the downsides.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
Jenaviv
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

I am in my early 40s. I have an iphone, not so much interested in having facebook/twitter access in my car. I did get the 6nr apps options simply for what may come in the future.

As far as the Blue Water Metallic -- It is like a very light metallic blue/green. You don't see it very often. A BMW salesman once told me years ago that they didn't stock it because it was the kiss of death. They couldn't sell it. It reminds me of a Buick my mom had when i was a kid. It just doesn't seem like a BMW color.

White is nice. I know many people like it with black, but in my opinion Beige is the only way to go with white. It's rich looking. Oyster doesn't have the same warmth as the beige with any exterior combo. I have Mineral Silver with Beige and I love it. Sports package too.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've never been worried about closing the tailgate and getting my hands dirty. There's two inserts on the inside of the tailgate, just curl your hand 90 degrees and pull downwards. I agree that the power tailgate would come in handy if it was heavier but it's quite manageable in the X3 if you want to save a couple hundred and spend it on something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 01:17 AM   #13
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

It's not my hands I'm worried when closing a dirty hatch or trunk, it's finger smears on the car.

On my 3ers, my MINI, and my GTI, I've never really liked the holes they have instead of handles. All four of those were nearly impossible to close while holding a grocery bag in each hand. Don't necessarily need motorized--a decent handle to grab and less downforce required would be good enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaviv View Post
As far as the Blue Water Metallic -- It is like a very light metallic blue/green. You don't see it very often. A BMW salesman once told me years ago that they didn't stock it because it was the kiss of death. They couldn't sell it. It reminds me of a Buick my mom had when i was a kid. It just doesn't seem like a BMW color.
I agree that blue water metallic isn't for everyone. The fact that the OP is asking about it should be enough to convince her/him it isn't for them. White is safer. Personally I've wanted this color for a long time, but it hasn't been an option on any car that I've purchased until now. I have it, and I love it.

If you're purchasing your car with resale in mind, it probably isn't the color for you. I bought the car for me and nobody else. Every day I look at it and love it. I normally keep my cars long enough where the new buyer is more concerned about the condition of the car than the color.

I like all of the X3 exterior colors. If I was buying a used car, I would be happy with any of the colors. I'm glad that not everyone likes the same colors and styes or every car on the road would look the same. I like the fact that I have yet to see another one like mine on the road unlike my previous silver Ford Explorer that I saw everywhere.

If you have the 2011 X3 brochure, you can see a picture on page 47. This color is accurate.

Last edited by mibmwx3; 09-25-2011 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Just posting again to get off the number 666
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
I agree that blue water metallic isn't for everyone. The fact that the OP is asking about it should be enough to convince her/him it isn't for them. White is safer. Personally I've wanted this color for a long time, but it hasn't been an option on any car that I've purchased until now. I have it, and I love it.

If you're purchasing your car with resale in mind, it probably isn't the color for you. I bought the car for me and nobody else. Every day I look at it and love it. I normally keep my cars long enough where the new buyer is more concerned about the condition of the car than the color.
I would agree with these comments about the bluewater. We have it on our 30d and love it but appreciate its not in everyone's taste. Because of our sub-tropical climate, we wanted a light exterior colour but didn't want plain boring white or a silver. This - almost by default - leaves the bluewater which together with the X-line chrome trimming looks - IMO - quietly elegant. However I agree that if you want a colour that people will notice, bluewater is probably not your colour. As this is a car we will be keeping for a while (I hope), resale is not a big issue.

We also have the oyster interior which is provided you are confident you can keep it clean - is by far the best looking X3 interior and will go with virtually any exterior colour. We have the dark fineline wood trim and the constrast with the oyster is stunning. The all over biege interior is plain awful (translation - what were they thinking?).

Hope this helps.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
Flashy09
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am getting so tempted by the Oyster! Does it have any kind of contrast stitching? Would white on white be too "frosty?" or look good? Do jeans transfer if dry or only if wet? Does woolite damage the leather (I saw someone post that they used woolite and water to clean the seats)?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashy09 View Post
I am getting so tempted by the Oyster! Does it have any kind of contrast stitching? Would white on white be too "frosty?" or look good? Do jeans transfer if dry or only if wet? Does woolite damage the leather (I saw someone post that they used woolite and water to clean the seats)?
The sports seats in Oyster have contrasting stitches. Oyster is one of the few 2 tone colors as well. Great color.

As for woolite.. I'd use a cleaner specifically made for leather to be on the safe side. It may be fine but I wouldn't risk it.

I've never been able to get confirmation if the X3 leather is treated or untreated.
      09-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #19
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

men dont use power liftgates jajaja
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #20
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If you have power lift gates, is it still possible to manually close it? or grab it to stop it from going up when you realize it will hit the garage door without damaging the motor?
      09-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #21
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
If you have power lift gates, is it still possible to manually close it? or grab it to stop it from going up when you realize it will hit the garage door without damaging the motor?
Yes, you can manually close it. As for stopping it while going up....haven't tried that. I'd fear it would damage the motor. The I-drive has settings you can change for how far you would like it open.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #22
Flashy09
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am so dumb I didn't realize the 35i premium package comes with power liftgate. I priced out so many 28i's before deciding to take the plunge I didn't fully take in the difference in packages. So I do get the power liftgate after all! Keyless entry too!
Appreciate 0