BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #23
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehive View Post
So to summarise - do all F25 x3's have automatic collision avoidance?
No. City Collision Mitigation is included as part of the Driving Assistance Plus Package, but is not standard on all F25 X3 vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #24
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
I haven't done much reading on the matter, but Fifth Gear did a comparison test once and pointed out only certain manufacturers have automated braking that can bring the vehicle to a complete stop / avoid collision, while some manufacturers (such as Benz) only slows down the car enough to make the crash less severe.

Where does BMW fall?
BMW City Collision Mitigation which is part of the Driving Assistance Plus Package makes the crash less severe without driver intervention. When the ACC Stop & Go option is added to Driving Assistance Plus the crash mitigation is even more effective, but still may not stop the vehicle without driver intervention.

Insurance Institute of Highway Safety reports in a low speed 12 mph test the system reduced the impact speed by 8 mph and in a 25 mph test impact speed was reduced by 7 mph. The slowing by this collision mitigation system and collision warning may afford the driver additional time to brake prior to impact, which may help the driver to avoid the collision entirely.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh.../x3-4-door-suv [Click "With Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation only" in side bar to see details]

Optional Driving Assistance Plus with ACC Stop & Go offers even more collision protection according to the IIHS tests but again may not stop the vehicle completely. In the IIHS 12 mph test the ACC system reduced the impact speed by 11 mph and in the 25 mph test reduced impact speed by 24 mph.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh.../x3-4-door-suv [Click "Front crash prevention" in side bar to see details]

Last edited by MichiganMike; 04-04-2017 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #25
chage
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Funny how I haven't visited this forum for a bit and I came back to it to find my old post at the top with your reply.

Sorry to hear about this. I don't know that it would actually come to a complete stop with the frontal collision avoidance because as it started braking, I put my foot on the brake to push it down so I'm not sure exactly where it stopped and where my braking started - if you know what I mean!

But, does your wife recall the red car light go on on the dash and the HUD (if you have)? It should have went on, then blinked as you got closer and it should have beeped very fast to alert you. If she doesn't recall any of this happening - and you are certain the the function is on, then it might be a reason to check for a defect. I mean, did anything happen at all or did the X3 just continue to go into the rear of the other car with no alerts and no braking? It should have done something to at least alert her.
No, my wife said she did not get the red light warning/alert prior to collision, i wasn't in the car so I can't really tell what was going on. But she did mentioned that she did not notice the car in front made a sudden stop and did not put her foot on brake pedal until the collision. But I am sure I have seen several times red light alert when i drove the car, but not all the time i felt like it is too close to the front vehicle, so i am not sure under what specific condition that it will actually trigger the alert.

"The Driving Assistant Plus feature (only available with Steptronic transmission) includes not only approach control warning and Lane Departure Warning, but also Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function. This provides assistance when driving on motorways in both critical and stable traffic situations.

This option is only available in conjunction with the Navigation system Business or Professional.

The approach control warning responds in stages. Depending on whether a vehicle ahead brakes suddenly or a stationary object is detected, the reaction ranges from a visual signal to active braking and even a complete standstill. Should the car begin to change lanes unintentionally, the Lane Departure Warning quickly provides a warning by means of vibrations in the steering wheel."

To me, the above clause sounds like it will make a complete stop. Not sure it is my pre-assumption that make me felt this way, that I believe the sales person in BMW did told me the assistance plus package will make a full stop for frontal collision avoidance.

Honestly I think BMW dealership isn't doing a good job in giving the right information to BMW owners. We have found at least one instance that what they told us during the briefing when we pick up the car is inaccurate.

having to put the car to repair shop in less than 1 year of ownership sucks, hopefully everything will come back as new after the repair, and my wife will continue to enjoy her BMW.

Also, will this mark a record in the vehicle history of having a collision and drives downs it resale value in future?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #26
chage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
While the ACC (Automatic Cruise Control) option will indeed bring the car to a complete stop under "normal" circumstances, the Anti Collision feature will "Help preventing the severity of a collision by alerting the driver and lessen the impact by priming and/or applying the brakes." Quoted from 2017 "build your own" page for an X4.

The effect described in earlier posts where people say "car did 95% and I did 5% of the braking" is exactly what it feels like when you wake up and brake. The brakes feel much more powerful because they are primed. Even a moderate brake pedal pressure will feel like a 100% brake application. I doubt you will find a Volvo-like statement from BMW along the lines that the car will stop if you don't. BMW lawyers may be smarter than Volvo lawyers.
I do see this quote from:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...stant.html#t=l

"The Driving Assistant Plus feature (only available with Steptronic transmission) includes not only approach control warning and Lane Departure Warning, but also Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function. This provides assistance when driving on motorways in both critical and stable traffic situations.

This option is only available in conjunction with the Navigation system Business or Professional.

The approach control warning responds in stages. Depending on whether a vehicle ahead brakes suddenly or a stationary object is detected, the reaction ranges from a visual signal to active braking and even a complete standstill. Should the car begin to change lanes unintentionally, the Lane Departure Warning quickly provides a warning by means of vibrations in the steering wheel."

Isnt that says that it will make complete stop? need a lawyer here
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #27
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chage View Post
I do see this quote from:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...stant.html#t=l

Isnt that says that it will make complete stop? need a lawyer here
The Driving Assistant Plus feature is designed to provide assistance to the driver, not to operate autonomously. If you look at the relevant sections of the X3 Owner's Manual, you will find numerous qualifications and warnings that place the ultimate responsibility on the driver to avoid collisions and control the vehicle. In my 2016 X3 Owner's Manual the description of the Front-End Collision Warning system begins on page 110 and includes the following statements, tips and warnings:

"The automatic braking intervention is done with limited force and duration."

"The system does not serve as a substitute for the driver's personal judgment of the traffic situation.
Be aware of the traffic situation and the vehicle's surroundings at all times, otherwise accidents are still possible despite all warnings."

"The displays and warnings of the system do not relieve the driver of the responsibility to adapt his or her driving speed and style to the traffic conditions."

"Due to system limitations, warnings may be not issued at all, or may be issued late or improperly. Therefore, always be alert and ready to intervene; otherwise, there is the risk of an accident."

"The driver must intervene actively when there is an acute warning. If necessary, the driver is assisted by a minor automatic braking intervention in a possible risk of collision."

"The system's detection potential is limited.
Thus a warning might not be issued or be issued late.
E. g. the following situations may not be detected:
▷ Slow moving vehicles when you approach them at high speed.
▷ Vehicles that suddenly swerve in front of you, or sharply decelerating vehicles.
▷ Vehicles with an unusual rear appearance.
▷ Two-wheeled vehicles ahead of you."

Last edited by MichiganMike; 04-05-2017 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #28
chage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
The Driving Assistant Plus feature is designed to provide assistance to the driver, not to operate autonomously. If you look at the relevant sections of the X3 Owner's Manual, you will find numerous qualifications and warnings that place the ultimate responsibility on the driver to avoid collisions and control the vehicle. In my 2016 X3 Owner's Manual the description of the Front-End Collision Warning system begins on page 110 and includes the following statements, tips and warnings:

"The automatic braking intervention is done with limited force and duration."

"The system does not serve as a substitute for the driver's personal judgment of the traffic situation.
Be aware of the traffic situation and the vehicle's surroundings at all times, otherwise accidents are still possible despite all warnings."

"The displays and warnings of the system do not relieve the driver of the responsibility to adapt his or her driving speed and style to the traffic conditions."

"Due to system limitations, warnings may be not issued at all, or may be issued late or improperly. Therefore, always be alert and ready to intervene; otherwise, there is the risk of an accident."

"The driver must intervene actively when there is an acute warning. If necessary, the driver is assisted by a minor automatic braking intervention in a possible risk of collision."

"The system's detection potential is limited.
Thus a warning might not be issued or be issued late.
E. g. the following situations may not be detected:
▷ Slow moving vehicles when you approach them at high speed.
▷ Vehicles that suddenly swerve in front of you, or sharply decelerating vehicles.
▷ Vehicles with an unusual rear appearance.
▷ Two-wheeled vehicles ahead of you."
thanks for looking up the manual. I did not check the manual, mostly just did online reading while i pick and choose the packages. WIth so many limitation clauses in the manual, I have to say my wife's incident must have fall into one of these. Too bad, i am too confident on BMW's automobile technology.

nonetheless, i am still looking forward for fully autonomous car that is coming very soon. i am a believer in self driving, tech can definitely avoid most human caused collision.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #29
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Do you know what her current speed was approx.? I have found at low speeds, it doesn't work (unless ACC is on). It definitely works at 20mph+ but unsure below that

Quote:
Originally Posted by chage View Post
Hi Guys,
I have a 2017 BMW X3 with driver assistance plus package assuming that the frontal collision will do a complete stop in case of any collision detected. However.. today my wife got into an accident by rear ended a car infront that came to complete stop due to some random guy make a u-turn on a no-u-turn light. Our X3 bumper got some scratches, but at closer look we realized the fender also bend by few mils, plus the fog light is damaged,. The repair shop told us the cost will be 4K to replace and repair...

i was actually pretty surprise that the auto stop did not work. I have drove using auto cruise with go and stop and it did stop completely when needed. I really disappointed that BMW did not work on this incident.

anyone has any idea if this is normal or some malfunction of the anti collision system?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #30
chage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Do you know what her current speed was approx.? I have found at low speeds, it doesn't work (unless ACC is on). It definitely works at 20mph+ but unsure below that
i don't know the speed but most likely still at low speed as she was just starting to make a right turn from a stop light.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #31
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Hey folks - my Driver Assistance Plus - Front-End Collision Warning went off this weekend and I happened to have my dashcam on, so I posted a video of it in case anyone was interested. Not sure if it helps anyone get a better idea of how it works. I tried to describe it in the description of the video.

Excuse the music.. but you can still hear the chirping by the system. The braking has already started to happen by the time the chirping is going on. The red car icon is also flashing on your dash/HUD as well.

If I wasn't approaching the car at that high of a speed, then the red car icon would have just gone on solid and then only blink and chirp if the car thought I was going to collide or if it thought it was imminent.

Of course when I look at the video, it seems a lot slower and further away than in real life. Haha! I have my warning system set at High, meaning early detection.

All I will say is that this happened because I was distracted by that silver SUV that I pass on the right before this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZfKf4z6nLM
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #32
Dr.Gary
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3

front end collision

My experience was different. I was perpendicular parking to a curb when I shifting the car. Suddenly it jumped the curb and hit a flagstone wall. The warning lights and sounds started but the car failed to stop. A BMW engineer said the car was functioning normally after a full test.
This makes me feel unsafe for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I just wanted to post this here because there was a question about this a few months back in case anyone was wondering... If you have the Driver Assistance Plus package that includes Frontal Collision Warning, the are WILL apply the brakes if it feels that a collision is imminent.

Despite the description that says that there is brake intervention, I wasn't sure if that was only if you had the Active Cruise Control option (which I did not have). I've always only seen the red car icon on my HUD and dash and the beeping.

Well, someone in front of me stopped short and sure enough, the red car icon went on and the fast beeping immediately turned into a long beep. By the time I had pressed the brakes, the brake pedal was already on it's way to be pushed down somewhat and I was stopping. Thankfully no impact.

I don't know if I would have hit the car if the brakes were not automatically applied but one thing is for sure - it started to apply them before I reacted. I guess that is the point and for that I can say is well worth the cost.

So anyone who is still curious about this (because BMW doesn't do a great job of describing what comes with the Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus packages), the answer is yes - the brakes will automatically intervene once it feels there is going to be a collision.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #33
Dr.Gary
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3

collision avoidance

Is there a critical speed that the car has to be going before this works? My car rolled into a wall without stopping.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #34
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Gary View Post
Is there a critical speed that the car has to be going before this works? My car rolled into a wall without stopping.
Actually, I meant to respond to this sooner to tell you that the braking intervention only occurs at higher speeds. I think over 20mph or 40mph or more. It will not stop you from rolling you car into something else. It's intended for if the distance between the car in front of you and your car decreases at a quick rate and it feels a collision is imminent. I don't think it would work with a wall and it definitely won't work at slower speeds.

Also, it's not proven that it will stop you to a halt. It starts the breaking process for you so by the time you hit the breaks, it's already started.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 04:02 AM   #35
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehive View Post
So to summarise - do all F25 x3's have automatic collision avoidance?
NO!

Appreciate 0