BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
DuckMuck
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

BMW X3 trunk tray options

Hello,

Has anybody done a detailed study on the benefits of the trunk tray choices for the 2011 BMW X3? Which one did you end up getting? I am seeing the Multifunction Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat with Collapsible Box (PN: 51 47 2 164 768) for ~$95US

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...productId=3235

and also the Luggage Compartment Tray (PN: 51 47 2 164 767) for ~$275US

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...productId=3272

...why the big difference? It seems the multifunction mat has a collapsible box and a bumper protector and it is also much cheaper...any thoughts or ideas to share? Thanks...

Last edited by DuckMuck; 02-16-2011 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Added URL's
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

I have the first one ( Multifunction Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat with Collapsible Box (PN: 51 47 2 164 768) for ~$95US) which came as part of a $695 "Owner Protection Package" (b S t) but happy with the item. The threshold protector is not as thick as it looks in the photo but would probably work OK.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I got the 2nd one, mainly if something spills in the trunk the liquid won't likely overflow onto the carpeted areas etc.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

I picked the first one. It does have a lip on all sides that's deep enough (36mm) to contain most small spills and debris. The folding box works well and really stays in place (it has a molded concave pattern that fits the convex bumps on the cargo tray). It takes all of 6 seconds to change from a flat sheet into the "box". I'd rate the whole cargo tray a 4.5 on a scale of 5. the only minor "down-side" is that the design covers half of the right side "cubby-hole" that otherwise was the perfect place to hold a half-gallon milk bottle on the way home from the grocery store.

If you're not in a big hurry, you might want to wait a month or two for WeatherTech to produce their design for the F25. Their "cargo liner" for the pre-2011 X3 was an excellent device, and probably a better fit then the BMW part.

Here's what it looks like with the "box" flattened and then folded in place.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus7; 02-19-2011 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I picked the first one. It does have a lip on all sides that's deep enough (36mm) to contain most small spills and debris. The folding box works well and really stays in place (it has a molded concave pattern that fits the convex bumps on the cargo tray). It takes all of 6 seconds to change from a flat sheet into the "box". I'd rate the whole cargo tray a 4.5 on a scale of 5. the only minor "down-side" is that the design covers half of the right side "cubby-hole" that otherwise was the perfect place to hold a half-gallon milk bottle on the way home from the grocery store.

If you're not in a big hurry, you might want to wait a month or two for WeatherTech to produce their design for the F25. Their "cargo liner" for the pre-2011 X3 was an excellent device, and probably a better fit then the BMW part.

Here's what it looks like with the "box" flattened and then folded in place.
could you please send me those pics in high resolution to my email?
its my username at hotmail.com
thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
could you please send me those pics in high resolution to my email?
its my username at hotmail.com
thanks a lot!
You got it! Pics on the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

I ordered this combo also, stupid that it covers part of the storage area at the side

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
DuckMuck
Registered
Canada
Rep

Lotus7,

Thanks for the great pix! I really like that collapsible box in the center...I think it is convenient for putting groceries...what is the quality of that sill protector that rolls out? I don't see it in the picture...when it is not being used, does it roll back in? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMuck View Post
Lotus7,

Thanks for the great pix! I really like that collapsible box in the center...I think it is convenient for putting groceries...what is the quality of that sill protector that rolls out? I don't see it in the picture...when it is not being used, does it roll back in? Thanks!
It's a sheet of "rubbery-plastic mystery material" about 80% of the width of the mat. It's fastened to the bottom surface of the mat permanently at one end (near the back) and with "velcro" at the other so it can be folded down and then out over the bumper. It does not "roll" it just lays flat (upside down) under the main mat when not in use.

It's pretty thin (I'd guess about 15/1000 inch) so does not offer much impact protection. It should protect from getting scratches if you drag a suitcase of other large object over the bumper. You have to lift the mat up quite a bit to get access to the front "velcro" bits to release the "protector". It's not something that I expect to use very much, if ever. Of course, once you load a heavy object on the main mat, there's no way to lift the mat to place the protector sheet back under it. I guess that you could then roll or fold it up to get it out of the way of the closing hatch door.

On the other hand, the "box" is pretty neat and looks like it will come in handy. It's made of the same material as the mat and if it's loaded with anything, really tends to stay in place, even during hard cornering. It would be nice if BMW offered additional "boxes" as an accessory for the accessory.

Last edited by Lotus7; 02-20-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMuck View Post
...what is the quality of that sill protector that rolls out? I don't see it in the picture...when it is not being used, does it roll back in? Thanks!
Quality not great in my opinion, cant see me ever using it to be honest

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Looking for something to keep the dogs' nails from digging in to the bumper when they jump out. So far, I've just been draping a dog blanket over it. Do you think the sill protector offers any advantage over that?
      02-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Looking for something to keep the dogs' nails from digging in to the bumper when they jump out. So far, I've just been draping a dog blanket over it. Do you think the sill protector offers any advantage over that?
No - it's way too light weight.. If the dogs weigh anything over 4 lbs, they will probably destroy the plastic sheet the first time they jump on it. I keep a heavy wool army blanket in the tray under the cargo floor for anything "serious".
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Good to know. They're not so huge, but definitely over 4 lbs! Will continue to use the dog blankets instead of blowing money on the sill protector.
      02-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
DuckMuck
Registered
Canada
Rep

Thanks everybody for your inputs! I decidede to go with the multi-function tray...I like the price, and also the storage basket...although the tray doesn't look as heavy-duty as the other one offered, I think it is more than sufficient for my needs (luggage and groceries)...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Quote:

Anybody heard anything about if/when the WeatherTech cargo tray for the X3 is coming out? It's been a couple months since Lotus posted this but, I still don't see anything on their website. Is there a link to items coming soon from them?

Also anybody who has the 2nd tray listed above
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3272
any feedback on how you like it would be great. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

When I spoke with MacNeil Automotive (Weathertech) in early Feb., they said the X3 mats and cargo liner were a "few months" away. The floor mats are now available, but the cargo liner is still MIA.

I couldn't wait, so purchased the BMW liner. I'm generally happy with it, except it covers the "hold-down" rings in the floor. Otherwise, it's great for most uses and is easy to clean and fits perfectly. I'm even beginning to like the "hypnotic" bump pattern.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I thought that was a Manta ray . . .
      05-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #18
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I spoke with MacNeil Automotive (Weathertech) in early Feb., they said the X3 mats and cargo liner were a "few months" away. The floor mats are now available, but the cargo liner is still MIA.

I couldn't wait, so purchased the BMW liner. I'm generally happy with it, except it covers the "hold-down" rings in the floor. Otherwise, it's great for most uses and is easy to clean and fits perfectly. I'm even beginning to like the "hypnotic" bump pattern.
Thanks Lotus! Hey does that box snap anywhere on those bumps on the BMW liner or just in the middle? It would be perfect if I could snap the box into one corner. It's looking like I might be getting this one also if the Weathertech one doesn't come out soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, anybody know if the X3 will ever come with a cover like this one they have for the X5?

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...&ProductId=824
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #20
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Never.
      05-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #21
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well hopefully I can come up with something to protect the sides and back of the backseats. My last SUV cargo area got totally shredded on the sides from hauling stuff all the time. The bottom was fine because of a cargo tray, but the sides and back of the seats are all torn and scratched up over the years. At least there is carpet up the sides a little ways to somewhat protect certain areas.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #22
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabian View Post
Thanks Lotus! Hey does that box snap anywhere on those bumps on the BMW liner or just in the middle? It would be perfect if I could snap the box into one corner. It's looking like I might be getting this one also if the Weathertech one doesn't come out soon.
It will essentially "lock" in place anywhere on the whole surface on a 35mm grid pattern (you can move the box in increments of 35mm in X and Y). I usually keep mine in the left front corner. Although the "bumps" are not very high, they are very effective in locking the box in place. The more weight you put in the folding box, the better it stays in place. The "box" has an inside base area of 34 cm X 35.5 cm. and has (2) hand slots for lifting. It also unfolds to become a flat sheet.
Appreciate 0