BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 N52

BMW Customer Service Help!!!

I have attempted to eliminate the rattling noise from my 2012 BMW X3. Unfortunately, after 5 visits over the course of 3 years - I still have the noise.
The BMW dealership has a done a good job of applying tape all around the hood of the vehicle but the roof still creaks and rattles.

My last visit, the BMW Service Manager told me to contact BMW Canada Customer service. That was a totally useless call. BMW Canada Customer service basically told me to contact the dealership and talk to the Service manager. I don't understand the escalation process within BMW Canada but it really sucks basically there is no one there to help. ( I guess my goal is to replace the entire roof cassette per the Service Manager but he says he does not have the approval required he tells me that BMW Canada has to approve...??)

If anyone has any advice and experience, please let me know.

I like the car but unfortunately the rattling and creaking noise just drives me crazy. Basically no one denies there is a problem but noone wants to take action on this. Is BMW service really this bad???
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

A common fix for the roof rattle is to apply felt tape where the pane meets in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
A common fix for the roof rattle is to apply felt tape where the pane meets in the middle.
I did try that but BMW replaced it with their special BMW tape. I think there is more going with the assembly of my roof. Honestly BMW should just replace the entire roof cassette. Its really not fair to the buyer to get a car with a roof that rattles and creaks. Applying tape and reapplying tape did not fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...=809566&page=4

there is fix and its not felt tape!

you can find them at staples, home depot or any office supplies store

Last edited by nyalpine90; 01-21-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmkman View Post
I did try that but BMW replaced it with their special BMW tape. I think there is more going with the assembly of my roof. Honestly BMW should just replace the entire roof cassette. Its really not fair to the buyer to get a car with a roof that rattles and creaks. Applying tape and reapplying tape did not fix the issue.
If BMW already tried the tape, like you said, its probably something else. Usually rattles are only cover for the 1st year, at this point, I think BMW is still attempting to fix the rattle out of courtesy. If it turns out to be an expensive item such as take apart the pano roof, I am not sure they will approve it. This is one of the reason, I do not like pano roof, they tend to rattle.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
Ziba
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Bmkman I had the same problem with my pano roof. It lasted 2.5 years. I got so sick of it that I went to the dealer and told them that I won't take the car back unless it's quiet. After they got approval from bmw Canada they replaced cassette with the new one. It took them 5 weeks before I got the car back but it's fixed. Problem was the rivets that hold the cassette to the car body. They were generating those creaks. No tape or rubber bumpers would help you to fix that. I hope that will help you to decide what to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Not helpful to the OP's cause, but I really wished too that the F25 came with a conventional sunroof as opposed to panoramic roof.

BMW, I hope you're listening.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziba View Post
Bmkman I had the same problem with my pano roof. It lasted 2.5 years. I got so sick of it that I went to the dealer and told them that I won't take the car back unless it's quiet. After they got approval from bmw Canada they replaced cassette with the new one. It took them 5 weeks before I got the car back but it's fixed. Problem was the rivets that hold the cassette to the car body. They were generating those creaks. No tape or rubber bumpers would help you to fix that. I hope that will help you to decide what to do.
Thanks for sharing I think this reply was helpful. Just brought my car in today. Lets see how BMW customer service is going to respond to my complaint. They basically told me my dealership has to fix the problem but they track complaints at BMW customer service and bring them to BMW Canada Management.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
Ziba
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I hope they will get it fixed for you so you can enjoy the car. Post later how it went.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 11:44 PM   #10
Upstate_X3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3  [0.00]
I had the same problem on my 2013 X3. In my case the roof was silent until the temperature dropped below 40F, then any bump I hit made the roof creak loudly. One day my daughter kept asking if it was going to break. It took me 2 years and at least 6 visits back to the service center to fix it. My advise be persistent, you're the customer and you've invested a great deal in the vehicle!

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i Vermillion Red Metallic/Leather Nevada Mojave, Retired with 49,750 miles
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

I just picked up the car Thursday. At his request, I took a quick test drive with the Service Manager. Good start no rattling...even when a drove over some small bumps along the road.

I had the car for 3 days now and the weather was cold somewhere between -10 and -25 C. I did not park the car in the garage. I drove the car each day. Multiple trips each day. No issues with the roof. The longest trip was 35kms one way and 40kms back. Silent.

I think the problem is fixed...because there was no way my car roof before the fix would have been silent. I even opened and closed my sun roof at the lights. I think the person in the car next to me thought I was crazy. I smiled.

I will post more details on the fix after I continue to test the car. But this is definitely how the roof should sound or not sound. No noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:00 AM   #12
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

So what did they do to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #13
Ziba
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Congrats Bmkman. Have fun with your silent car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #14
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Here is the fix they applied:

Adjusted Rear roof Glass Panel and Retorqued Glass Panel mounting bolts.

I am pretty sure another XBimmer had this problem...and this service action was performed on his car. This begs the question why it took so long to get this service action on my car. According to my service manager, he said this was a new "PUMA" information and they worked with BMW to fix my problem.

Anyway, I hope this post helps anyone with similar problems - be persistent and work with the service manager. Maybe, I shouldn't have waited 3 service attempts to contact the service manager.

In polite but interesting words, I was told by service advisor and the service manager I was being picky/fussy and BMW is not going to be as quiet as the other luxury brand cars I purchased.

Ok in fairness to them the creaking/rattling noise was probably a 3-4 on a scale of 10 - meaning not loud but noticeable and present in 95% of my driving conditions. You could probably drown out the roof noise with the radio or an open window. I could see how some people might just totally ignore the noise if the car was leased because the car would be returned back to BMW leasing at the end of the term. I purchased my vehicle. In my opinion, it needed to be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #15
Roadmaster
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Re. creaks and rattles

Hi there

I am having same problem with my 2013 BMW X3.
I live 1/2 hr north of Toronto.
Which dealer did you get your car fixed the creaking noise from the Pano roof.
Thanks
Appreciate 0