BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
Jim761
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5dmsport f48 X3 E83 ix3

new way to steal cars

Hi everyone have you noticed the new way crooks can steal you expensive bride and joy.They don't need your keys and do not break in to your house to steal the keys now,as they use a gadget to override your car security system they just wave a box infront of your house to receive the signal from your keys and relay to another box next to your car and they are of in seconds cars gone. So if anyone is worried about this happening to them just put your keys in a tin or wrap in tinfoil as this stops the signal from key to car until you are ready use the car hope this helps .
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Unfortunately this is nothing new and has been going on for years. This has come to prominence since the thieves were caught on CCTV and it was posted online.

See....BBC Birmingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...ay-crime-theft
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 01:48 AM   #3
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Yes, this has been going on for some time now. I believe it only effects cars that have keyless entry.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
Jim761
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5dmsport f48 X3 E83 ix3

Yes your right it has been going on for a long time, just watched the video this morning and it is a bit like your credit cards its up to you to take steps to protect the cards as I do in one of those metal wallets.I also have a remote key less entry and I just got into the habit of putting my keys in tin when not in use, in the end if the thief want to take the car they will alway find new ways to do so but if you take little steps yourself maybe they will move on quicker from you house.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim761 View Post
Yes your right it has been going on for a long time, just watched the video this morning and it is a bit like your credit cards its up to you to take steps to protect the cards as I do in one of those metal wallets.I also have a remote key less entry and I just got into the habit of putting my keys in tin when not in use, in the end if the thief want to take the car they will alway find new ways to do so but if you take little steps yourself maybe they will move on quicker from you house.
Is the credit card holder for stopping unauthorised contactless payments? If so I’m pretty sure that was just a myth dispelled by the fact that anyone taking payment needs an approved traders bank account and no criminal would either be able or want to setup such an account.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 06:55 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
Is the credit card holder for stopping unauthorised contactless payments? If so I’m pretty sure that was just a myth dispelled by the fact that anyone taking payment needs an approved traders bank account and no criminal would either be able or want to setup such an account.
Not a myth! There was a programme on BBC 1 called RIP OFF Britain several months ago (Angela Ripon, Gloria Hunniford and Julia Somerville) where a guy just brushed past one the ladies purse's and he cloned her card and then paid for an item. It was a demonstration on how to do it without her seeing it and feeling it being done. No approved traders bank required.
Appreciate 0