BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Kalopop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3

M-sport final decsion

I am trying to make a final decsion to change to m sport or not. I am quite convinced to get it buy try your best to convince me otherwise.

In another post, many of you said that the same color body skirt (Im assuming this bottom of the door) is painted the same color. I dont see any skirt though in pics, just looks like the took it off.

I rly dont want a white one although many of you agreed that is the only good color for m sport in marmite's post. I am thinking about carbon black. Does it really look that bad?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalopop View Post
In another post, many of you said that the same color body skirt (Im assuming this bottom of the door) is painted the same color. I dont see any skirt though in pics, just looks like the took it off.
Hi Kalopop,

yes, on the SE the area below the both doors from wheel arch to wheel arch is matt black, on the M Sport it is colour matched to the rest of the body (along with the wheel arch rims)

I have putting off a phone call to my dealer for some days now, I want to change the colour of my order anyway, but am finding it very hard to commit to M Sport - but feel I'd be losing out if I didn't - and have come the conclusion that probably that it will look better in the flesh than it does on the configurator and in the few photographs we've seen. I actually think the Space Grey and Vermillion Red ones look fine.

White seems to work - but white in UK is not for me.

I think Black will work - but I too am thinking of going for Carbon Black, I posted some pictures (from configurator) of my probable spec. - which was M Sport Carbon Black with aluminum trim on windows and roof rails.

I find it a very hard decision though.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Kalopop
Enlisted Member
Rep

You probably saw this link: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468646

I dont see the body skirt making it look taller/skinnier, maybe it will stand out more in reality. Well, I cant really tell if i like it form the picture but hopefully bmw wont make m sport that looks worse offf.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Kalopop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Btw, what interior color/trim do you have in mind for the carbon?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Yep had seen those pics. - I think that is Carbon Black and looks good I think.
I will be going with stock M Sport rims though (18" 368's) - I can't justify the cost of upgrading rims.

Interior - whatever colour exterior, the interior was always going to be black - and I don't like wood finishes on any car, so with brushed aluminuim.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

sorry can't help you with convincing you not to get. I just placed an order about 15mins ago for my x3 35i with the m sports package
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

M Sport makes all latest generation looking much more agressive, as a BMW should look like!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
Kalopop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by note46 View Post
sorry can't help you with convincing you not to get. I just placed an order about 15mins ago for my x3 35i with the m sports package
What color combination/trim did you get?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #9
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

You actually have two decisions to make. An appearance one and a value one. In terms of value, the M is competitive as the build in extras will be better reflected at trade in than bolt on. on appearance, like others to me it only works in white. The black pictures & mock ups to me make the car look less balanced and in some colours almost kit car rather than prestige. Reluctantly, as I wanted an M except for the sport suspension, I have gone for the SE. I find myself asking why there is so little positive M news out there? What appears at the next few motorshows will be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #10
mcmasman
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW X3 2.0D msport

Guys, there is no doubt in my mind that M-sport is a must for me (even after the questionable pictures from the Chicago Auto Show).

I believe BMW always make a good looking exterior for m-sport, I don't see why X3 would be an exception. I just think the basic model had a lot more exposure so far compares to the m-sport. It will take sometime to get used to the color matching wheel arches, which apparently requires a bigger alloy in order to look balance.

I'm going for the 20" M 310 alloy for summer, and 19" M 369 for winter. I'm afraid 18" on m-sport might be too small (Marmite: are you not concerned? Please do share you thoughts)

A car in this price range should look premium, and complete inside and out. I occasionally see some X5s with 18" alloy, it just look dis-proportioned.

As for the color I have been back and forth between carbon black and space gray. Carbon black looks classy (when it is clean), space gray feels a little more sporty and durable against dirt. I also believe space gray make a nice contrast with the tinted windows and brings out the m-sport design better.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:30 AM   #11
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasman View Post
I occasionally see some X5s with 18" alloy, it just look dis-proportioned.
Agree

For me 18/19" wheels are the best proportion fit for the SE and 19"s for the M Sport (20+ can look too big / pimp my ride)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #12
mcmasman
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Agree

For me 18/19" wheels are the best proportion fit for the SE and 19"s for the M Sport (20+ can look too big / pimp my ride)
It could be... it will be interesting to see. My girlfriend insists to have 20" for summer - she has this philosophy that summer set must be bigger than winter set, and 18" is too small summer or winter. I'm happy to comply.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

19" minimum, now that's a standard . . .
      02-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

Quote:
What color combination/trim did you get?
Titanium silver exterior with chestnut interior and brushed aluminum trim
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

No one uses chains in the winter? Owners manual recommends not using chains on 19" wheels. I would guess 20" is way out of the question.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Only Californians driving to Tahoe . . .

Forgot to add, "a drive that I miss."

Last edited by Nahoa; 02-21-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #17
Kalopop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It could be... it will be interesting to see. My girlfriend insists to have 20" for summer - she has this philosophy that summer set must be bigger than winter set, and 18" is too small summer or winter. I'm happy to comply.
You complied to the extra 5g's for the 20''? I want to that so badly it looks hella awesome but so expensive....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #18
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I believe BMW always make a good looking exterior for m-sport, I don't see why X3 would be an exception. I just think the basic model had a lot more exposure so far compares to the m-sport. It will take sometime to get used to the color matching wheel arches, which apparently requires a bigger alloy in order to look balance.
That's quite some faith, personally I didn't like the look of the old X3, M Sport or not. Nor, do I like the styling of all other BMW models - and since I've never seen the F25 M Sport in the flesh, I am concerned somewhat.

That being said, I think the std. F25 looks very good, and although I and others have queried whether the M Sport actually makes it look better or not, it's still going to be a great car.

Quote:
I'm going for the 20" M 310 alloy for summer, and 19" M 369 for winter. I'm afraid 18" on m-sport might be too small (Marmite: are you not concerned? Please do share you thoughts)
I am worried, but only because of all ye' folks!
I can see what people mean about the 18" on the Titanium silver photos looking too small. But in the few other pictures there are of M Sport's, e.g. the Vermillion Red pics in this thread, I think look ok - actually those and the Chicago pics. may be only ones I can find with 18".

I have a few concerns about 19" - 1) cost - an extra £845. I have a lot of options on the car already. 2) Ride comfort - looks vs comfort. 19" RFT - will I notice vs 18"...

Quote:
As for the color I have been back and forth between carbon black and space gray. Carbon black looks classy (when it is clean), space gray feels a little more sporty and durable against dirt. I also believe space gray make a nice contrast with the tinted windows and brings out the m-sport design better.
My E91 is grey (Artic Grey they called it I think), I actually prefer it's colour to Space Grey, in some lights it has an interesting green undertone, very subtle.
It looks great when clean - ok when not, but shows the dirt pretty easily.

Looking around at colours on the road, I've commented before that black 4x4's that are dirty actually look quite good (as dirty cars go!) - for a 4x4 a bit of dirt on the lower body looks alright IMO. Show's you've been having a bit of fun! - even if that 'fun' is actually only the result of driving through some muddy puddles!
All very subjective, but I have a feeling that a dirty black car, looks like a black car that's dirty - whereas a dirty grey car looks nondescript - where does the dirt stop and the colour start. My dirty grey car looks like that sometimes
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #19
mcmasman
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Quote:
You complied to the extra 5g's for the 20''? I want to that so badly it looks hella awesome but so expensive....
For me it is a difference of 2k CDN between 19" and 20".

I managed to get the dealer to fit the 19" M 369 as my winter set without extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #20
mcmasman
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Marmite: Thanks for all your feedback. It makes my color choice that much more difficult! sigh....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
My E91 is grey (Artic Grey they called it I think), I actually prefer it's colour to Space Grey, in some lights it has an interesting green undertone, very subtle.
It looks great when clean - ok when not, but shows the dirt pretty easily.

Looking around at colours on the road, I've commented before that black 4x4's that are dirty actually look quite good (as dirty cars go!) - for a 4x4 a bit of dirt on the lower body looks alright IMO. Show's you've been having a bit of fun! - even if that 'fun' is actually only the result of driving through some muddy puddles!
All very subjective, but I have a feeling that a dirty black car, looks like a black car that's dirty - whereas a dirty grey car looks nondescript - where does the dirt stop and the colour start. My dirty grey car looks like that sometimes
You have a complex and colourful mind marmite!

I'm very interested to see what you end up with....

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #22
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You have a complex and colourful mind marmite!
haha - ironic then, that grey and black are my choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I'm very interested to see what you end up with....

me too!

Last edited by marmite; 02-21-2011 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0