BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
xenons on auto position question

I keep the switch on auto but i notice the lights go on during the day and its bright outside, is this normal? I check the idrive on the lighting settings i didnt find anything.. Is this a sensor error . I believe the lights go on as it gets dark lets say by 4pm it gets dark.help me out thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
tatsu666
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

mine does that too...some times even on a bright day. the sensor and idrive have its piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
The lights go on randomly and shuts off randomly i noticed today when i made trip to store it was noon the lights were on.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
ricardoyak
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d SE Mineral Silver

My C class did the same. I found it particularly happened on bright winter days when the sun is low in the sky. I think it works out when lights are needed by comparing the light intensity inside and outside the car and the external sensor gets fooled when the sun is low.

Anyone with a better theory?

The good news is that it never got it wrong when it was dark!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

It is entirely normal. I had a Mercedes too previously and the manual specifically mentioned this, but I don't think the BMW one does.

As mentioned in certain lighting conditions the sensors conclude that the lights should be on and this can be in bright sunshine and especially when it is low in the sky in winter months.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

According to the manual:

"A blue sky with the sun low on the horizon can cause the lights to be switched on."

It does on mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

The problem is when they don't go off again IMO. I haven't experienced it with BMW but auto headlights on my last VW came on in tunnels and then took an age to go off again despite driving in broad daylight. Assume poor algorithms were to blame. Not had a problem with the X3 though and always have lights on auto

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
According to the manual:

"A blue sky with the sun low on the horizon can cause the lights to be switched on."

It does on mine.
Mine too, and I'd prefer it go along a little early instead of staying off way too long like so many folks in this area who seem to think the lights are solely for them to use in seeing the road -- not!! Much happier to have the lights on earlier to ensure other drivers and pedestrians can see us easily.
      12-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The problem is when they don't go off again IMO. I haven't experienced it with BMW but auto headlights on my last VW came on in tunnels and then took an age to go off again despite driving in broad daylight. Assume poor algorithms were to blame. Not had a problem with the X3 though and always have lights on auto
I would imagine is a safer than sorry approach. Nothing bad happens when you have the lights on...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
I would imagine is a safer than sorry approach. Nothing bad happens when you have the lights on...
The only issue is the shortened life of the Xenon HID lamps themselves (out-of-warranty replacement cost US$ 212.43 EACH). The lifetime of the HID lamps is measured in on-time hours as well as number of "start-cycles". Constantly switching them on and off shortens their life.

Our X3 is always garaged. If I have the auto mode selected and start the car in the garage the lights go on. There is no need for the headlights to be on to back out of the garage into sunlight. Then the lights go off. When I return to the (well-lit) garage, the headlights again go on for a few seconds and then go off when I stop the engine (again there is absolutely no need for that to occur).

I never use the auto mode and just switch the lights on when I think it's appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The only issue is the shortened life of the Xenon HID lamps themselves (out-of-warranty replacement cost US$ 212.43 EACH). The lifetime of the HID lamps is measured in on-time hours as well as number of "start-cycles". Constantly switching them on and off shortens their life.

Our X3 is always garaged. If I have the auto mode selected and start the car in the garage the lights go on. There is no need for the headlights to be on to back out of the garage into sunlight. Then the lights go off. When I return to the (well-lit) garage, the headlights again go on for a few seconds and then go off when I stop the engine (again there is absolutely no need for that to occur).

I never use the auto mode and just switch the lights on when I think it's appropriate.
Well said. I will too switch to manual mode now.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #12
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Does the same apply to the corona rings and foglights?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Does the same apply to the corona rings and foglights?
The corona rings are illuminated by a single high-intensity, air cooled and heat sunk LED at the bottom. Those have a typical life of 10,000 or more hours and turning them on and of makes no significant difference. It's just the total on-time and temperature that matters. An hour on when it's 40 deg. C outside shortens the life more than an hour on when it's 0 deg. C.

The fog lights are conventional tungsten-halogen-quartz bulbs. The they have a typical life of 900 to 1500 hours of constant burning. Cycling them does reduce the lifetime, since the initial on current rush is high and stresses the filament. The most important thing you can do with the halogen lamps is, once you turn them on, LEAVE them on for at least 2 or 3 minutes. They have a metal evaporation and re-disposition cycle that depends on the quartz envelope reaching full operating temperature. If the lamp is turned OFF too soon (less than a few minutes, some of the filament metal deposits on the inside of the envelope and never returns to the filament.

Also, the deposited metal coating gradually reduces the light output. Often you can identify old halogen bulbs that have been cycled a lot by the "mirror" coating on the inside of the quartz envelope.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Hmmm, not always true. Irate drivers flashing me after being "blinded by xenon" (I think they were just jealous )

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #15
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:

Yeah I thought about that too but I have never been willing to switch from auto to manual because of the convenience of auto.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #16
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
I like the auto position on the headlights so i guess its normal. The e90 xenons werent that sensitive seens like a safety feature
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #17
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
I always have auto light on my passat. The only problem is they come on once you go above 100mph to let everyone know you are speeding

Not that I would do that.

Do they do they same in the X3?
Appreciate 0