BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
PGB
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Tire pressure issues in the cold ?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
On my last two trips to the local ski fields I had had the tyre pressure monitor warn of low pressure after sitting in the cold all day. Anyone else seeing this on a regular basis ? I have to reset the TPM each time. Going to be annoying if this happens every time.

The lowest temp was -2F (-19C). The other time it was about -17F (-8C).

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

You might want to put air in your tires! If you remember that as temperature drops so does tire pressure. Leave the car out in the cold for two hours and then read the tire pressures. You can estimate that for every 10F tire pressure will change by 1lb. I'm guessing you're a few pounds under pressure which will make the car tricky to handle, give you poor braking, and wear the tires faster.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
on both my X3 and my 2008 328xi which also had TPMS, pressure would drop as the temperature drops - sometime in november or december I would have to add air to all 4 tires. Get a real tire gage, inflate as needs in the fall/winter, deflate as needed in the spring (or atleast check it to be sure it doesn't get too high PSI).

I have heard from others with non BMW's w/ TPMS that you need to put some air in over the winter.

Inflate to what the sticker inside the drivers door said, can't recall the PSI off hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

This is physics. A gas (air) contracts as it cools. Its not a fault or unique to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Read the following thread:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...t=TPMS+setting
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGB View Post
On my last two trips to the local ski fields I had had the tyre pressure monitor warn of low pressure after sitting in the cold all day. Anyone else seeing this on a regular basis ? I have to reset the TPM each time. Going to be annoying if this happens every time.

The lowest temp was -2F (-19C). The other time it was about -17F (-8C).

Cheers,
First car? Or first time leaving San Diego?

Seriously, you have to monitor tire pressure in changing temperatures. This even includes spring, as you don't want overinflated tires due to warming.

Ever check a suitcase on an airplane and have a sealed plastic container inside that had some air in it? Notice the difference when you arrived? Two things will change the pressure of the air - temperature and altitude. When either changes significantly from when the tires were inflated, you need to check them and adjust accordingly.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
MAKE
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
As everyone who has contributed to this thread has stated and the X3 owner's manual clearly states: You must adjust your tire pressure(s) for changes in temperature.

Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never,Never,Never, Never, Never, Never, Never,Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, reset your X3's TPMS system without first confirming that the tire pressure(s) are correct for the current ambient temperature and atmospheric pressure. *

*The tire pressure police will get you if you don't abide by this edict, you will forever be banned from driving anything but a Tata Nano, and your children will never amount to much.

The TPMS is there to tell you that your tire pressure(s) are incorrect. Resetting the system at the incorrect pressure(s) is simply ignoring an important safety warning.

Then again: Please forget all of the above, It's about time we let Natural Selection take its due course.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Do they teach physics in school these days?

I'm blown away by a lack of knowledge of one of the fundamental laws of physics that got drummed into me at the age of 12. I find it hard to comprehend that someone would NOT check tire pressures at least 4 times/year. I check mine every week just to be sure. Is this what they mean by the Nanny State?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
MAKE
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 20i

How sad and frustrating for those of us on this forum that appreciate our cars; that some after buying this car with safety technology to warn of the clear dangers of the low pressure situation, these people disregard the warnings and then show frustration towards the cars safety tech for their stupid ignorance
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Re:- Then again: Please forget all of the above, It's about time we let Natural Selection take its due course.

Whilst visiting New Zealand a couple of years ago, we asked a coach driver why New Zealand mountain roads had very few crash barriers to prevent cars going over the edge.
The answer was that it made the roads safer for everyone else by 'encouraging' natural selection of the drunk/drugged and incompetant drivers. ;>

Sorry if thats not Politically Correct
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I bear no animosity to the OP, and for all I know he is young and inexperienced, and has thus far lacked a proper teacher in such matters. But I will say that it is quite a shame not to know to check tire pressures routinely, even without temperature swings. If my TPMS had to tell me when adjustment was overdue, I would be ashamed of myself.

This winter is a particular doosey, with the fluctuating (but thankfully warmish) temps.

Bottom line is, we all know about the principal rule of physics - shrinkage!! It happens to air too.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Nitrogen?

Isn't the nitrogen supposed to reduce the fluctuating pressure? At least a little bit?

I must say, even if they did put nitrogen in the tires at the factory (I have my doubts), I've since mixed it with air.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
See this thread regarding the differences in temperature vs. tire pressure when filling with pure N2.

X3's come filled with special Spartanburg, SC gas mix. X3 tires should only be re-filled within a 15 mile radius of Spartanburg, SC. (Sorry all you overseas owners!).

It actually consists of a complex BMW blend made up of the following component gasses:
they remove the water vapor?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I had to add air for the 2nd time this winter. winter had been mild hear (sorry to our frozen counterparts in Europe, all the cold air seems to be in your direction this winter) anyway Saturday night was prob the coldest night of the year here, X3 sat outside for a few hours while I went out to dinner, and TPMS went nuts when i drove home.

it reset this morning as it warmed up - but i added a little air anyway using a handheld air pressure gage to get it close to what the sticker inside the door says 32psi front 35 psi rear - i'm sure it was rear right that set it off, it was the lowest of the four tires.

anyway none of this surprises me, its a fact of life w/ TPMS actually everyone should check tire inflation a few times a winter whether they have TPMS or not - its best for the tires to have proper inflation.

my compaint is when TPMS goes off for tires being a little light, it turns off sport mode - makes sense for a real flat, annoying for tires slightly low due to cold temps.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Low is low, desn't matter why.
      02-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
one thing about BMW, they make the TPMS alert so annoying and take over so much of idrive that you really need to get to an air pump quick - both for sanity and proper tire wear

I agree low is low, but i wish there was more info like a PSI reading. cold weather will make it drop just below the threshold that alerts you - maybe down to 25 psi or so where as if you have a nail or screw puncture, you will drop to 10 PSI in a hurry although it may take overnight to go flat... or longer sometimes the screw will hold as a plug at a lower PSI.... and if you really damage a tire like blowing out a sidewall - you will be at 0 almost instantly.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #17
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
one thing about BMW, they make the TPMS alert so annoying and take over so much of idrive that you really need to get to an air pump quick - both for sanity and proper tire wear

I agree low is low, but i wish there was more info like a PSI reading. cold weather will make it drop just below the threshold that alerts you - maybe down to 25 psi or so where as if you have a nail or screw puncture, you will drop to 10 PSI in a hurry although it may take overnight to go flat... or longer sometimes the screw will hold as a plug at a lower PSI.... and if you really damage a tire like blowing out a sidewall - you will be at 0 almost instantly.
Yeah its a little frustrating that it doesn't give you actual pressure readings. Cost saving measure I'm sure. But much much cheaper Fords and GM's will give you this data.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:29 AM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I dunno, I think it's more about how dramatic the impact of a 25 psi tire is on handling and safety of a vehicle and very little about damaging a tire or a wheel. Particularly important in a vehicle that under normal conditions one can drive quite aggressively. I agree the alerts really do make themselves known. I think it's probably a good thing on balance, though. Separately from the alerts, I'd love to have tire pressure readings, too. I've read that those are wildly inaccurate in some implementations and that may be why they haven't included them. Not sure about that.