BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Jaguar F-Pace Debut

3.0V6 Supercharged at 340ps. no turbo lag!!!

Front double wishbone instead of the cheap soft struts we have.

Large amount for aluminum alloy being used.

This thing or the Mercedes GLC is gonna replace my X3 next year, the X3 facelift is just too few changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
3.0V6 Supercharged at 340ps. no turbo lag!!!

Front double wishbone instead of the cheap soft struts we have.

Large amount for aluminum alloy being used.

This thing or the Mercedes GLC is gonna replace my X3 next year, the X3 facelift is just too few changes.
While understanding your frustration, exon, I would respectfully suggest at least waiting until the the G01's debut (which must be coming out Fall 2016) and reading their specs and marketing data, and test driving one of them first. Again I share I have no financial affiliation with BMW in the least, but from everything I have researched, this is turning into a 'no-holds barred' match between Audi, Mercedes, and BMW for this coveted genre.

If you do purchase one of those, perhaps I'll have to drive up to NJ in my new X3 - 40i with 360 SAE HP, a Cd of 0.32, and minus 100 kg with a markedly improved interior and meet you folks at Island Drag.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Some eye watering prices for the larger engines. Starting at £50k for the 3.0d
It would be nice to support a UK manufacturer, but I've got to think about my own budget

http://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/f-pace/index.html
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123
It would be nice to support a UK manufacturer, but I've got to think about my own budget

Assuming you are from the U.S., You might want to check out the American site. The diesel starts at 40K (dollars). Price does rocket when you add a lot of options but it seems that the F-Pace is a little more premium (from what I've seen online). Kind of between an X3 and the X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 12:44 AM   #5
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

According to Automotive News Europe, there should also be a 340bhp petrol version - at least for the US - which is a lot less expensive han the 380bhp version.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:54 AM   #6
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post

What do you mean by "UK manufacturer" ?

Jaguar is an Indian car, TATA to be specific. So we are talking here about a Tata F Pace .....

However, the cars will be produced in Solihull.

Last edited by Portimao318; 09-15-2015 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 02:42 AM   #7
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

They just meant a UK based manufacturer.

It will be interesting to see the next X3, especially as this vehicle category is hotting up. There are definitely area's where BMW need to up their game in terms of interior, it seems they are going backwards in this area.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 03:15 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
What do you mean by "UK manufacturer" ?

Jaguar is an Indian car, TATA to be specific. So we are talking here about a Tata F Pace .....

However, the cars will be produced in Solihull.
Let us get a few facts straight. My family originate in Coventry and..........

Jaguar Cars is a brand of cars made by Jaguar Land Rover. This is a British car builder, owned by the Indian builder Tata Motors since the beginning of 2008.[3] It was established in 1922 by William Lyons. It was renamed Jaguar in 1935. Jaguar is owned by the Indian automobile manufacturer Tata Motors Ltd. Jaguar is known for its luxury saloons and sports cars.

Jaguar was a private company until it became part of the British Motor Corporation in 1966. The new company was called British Motor Holdings. In 1968 that company joined with Leyland Motors to became British Leyland. In 1975 British Leyland was nationalised. In 1984 Jaguar was made private again by Margaret Thatcher. Ford bought Jaguar in 1989. In 1999 it was made part of Ford's "Premier Automotive Group" along with Aston Martin, Land Rover, Volvo and Lincoln. In 2008, Ford sold Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motors. Jaguar is now a brand of the merged company called Jaguar Land Rover (JLR).

The company was originally in Blackpool, but moved to Coventry. Today Jaguar cars are made at the JLR factory in Castle Bromwich in Birmingham.

Jaguar owns the Daimler brand (not Daimler-Benz). Jaguar bought the British Daimler Company in 1960. Daimler became a brand for some of Jaguar's saloon cars, but is not used now.

As of 2014, JLR sells four different Jaguar car ranges: XJ, XF, XK and the F-Type.

Jaguar is NOT an Indian car!

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Cars

JAGUAR LAND ROVER LIMITED
REGISTERED OFFICE: ABBEY ROAD, WHITLEY, COVENTRY, CV3 4LF.
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND NO: 1672070

Jaguar Land Rover is the UK’s largest automotive manufacturing business, built around two iconic British car brands: Land Rover, the world’s leading manufacturer of premium all-wheel drive vehicles and Jaguar, one of the world’s premier luxury sports saloon and sports car marques.

Jaguar Land Rover has today reaffirmed its long-term commitment to the West Midlands, with confirmation of a £600m investment in the region to support product creation and advanced vehicle manufacturing. The largest single investment has been made at the company's Castle Bromwich plant, where over £400m has been spent in new and upgraded facilities to support the introduction of the all-new Jaguar XF.

Last edited by Peter_R; 09-15-2015 at 03:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 05:54 AM   #9
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Somebody is pissed because Jaguar is no longer British owned, but Indian...
It's therefore an Indian car that is produced in Britain. I didn't say anything about the quality of the product Jaguar. Might be just as terrible as before. I just would never want to drive a Tata, even when produced in the UK (which, of course is a good thing for employment in UK).

But hey, Volvo is no longer Swedish, it's Chinese (which is just as bad).

Last edited by Portimao318; 09-15-2015 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post

Somebody is pissed because Jaguar is no longer British owned, but Indian...
It's therefore an Indian car that is produced in Britain. I didn't say anything about the quality of the product Jaguar. Might be just as terrible as before. I just would never want to drive a Tata, even when produced in the UK (which, of course is a good thing for employment in UK).

But hey, Volvo is no longer Swedish, it's Chinese (which is just as bad).
Nobody is pissed, I do not care who owns it. It is an Indian owned company only because Ford who owned it previously sold it to the highest bidder (Tata) who had the cash at the time. Discussion on ownership over.

All the top design and top engineering people come from the Coventry area (Midlands) and were and still are working in head office and the design office and were in the setup when it was Ford. The reason it is built in West Bromwich just down the road, is because all the expertise is still there.

Psssst. I would never purchase a Jaguar or a Volvo. Not ever. I posted as I did because I knew all the facts and the MD of Jaguar used to live across the road from us many years ago. As a family we watched from a few miles away in 1957 when the big fire at the Jaguar factory stopped production at the time.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/ja.../query/Jaguars
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post

In the US the price looks more than reasonable, 340hp supercharged V6 starts just at 43K-ish. Jaguar is definitely playing the price card. But I have never driven any of their cars before, not sure if it is any good...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #12
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
While understanding your frustration, exon, I would respectfully suggest at least waiting until the the G01's debut (which must be coming out Fall 2016) and reading their specs and marketing data, and test driving one of them first. Again I share I have no financial affiliation with BMW in the least, but from everything I have researched, this is turning into a 'no-holds barred' match between Audi, Mercedes, and BMW for this coveted genre.

If you do purchase one of those, perhaps I'll have to drive up to NJ in my new X3 - 40i with 360 SAE HP, a Cd of 0.32, and minus 100 kg with a markedly improved interior and meet you folks at Island Drag.
Thanks for the comments Max. I am not frustrated, actually X3 is the best all-around car car I have owned so far. I have had more expensive cars before, so that is definitely a high praise for my X3.

It is just....as a car guy, when the upgrade bug bites, I want something better. The X3 is not perfect and I am not sure if I agree with the direction where BMW is going now.

BTW, we just had the LCI on X3, so I guess G01 probably won't hit the dealer in another 2-3 years. Given the build quality of BMW's US plant, I wouldn't want first model year, so G01 is more for the car after my next.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

I like the design/proportions of the F Pace, and with the remarkable come back of Jaguar during the past 5-10 years, the all-aluminium architecture AND the fact that most F1 cars are being developed in the Midlands, there is a fair chance that it will outperform X3/X4 (incl. G01) and Macan re. handling performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #14
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
Thanks for the comments Max. I am not frustrated, actually X3 is the best all-around car car I have owned so far. I have had more expensive cars before, so that is definitely a high praise for my X3.

It is just....as a car guy, when the upgrade bug bites, I want something better. The X3 is not perfect and I am not sure if I agree with the direction where BMW is going now.

BTW, we just had the LCI on X3, so I guess G01 probably won't hit the dealer in another 2-3 years. Given the build quality of BMW's US plant, I wouldn't want first model year, so G01 is more for the car after my next.
I understand. But I will be very surprised if the G01 isn't released next Fall. We bought our 2012 X3 35i in early Nov 2011, so to have a 2017 released in Fall 2016 seems very reasonable. I don't think BMW will rest on its laurels with the strong competition in this important market.

As I did with the other competitive analysis in the Master Acceleration thread [ http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149189 ], I added what I could find on the F-Pace S Type (with the largest engine) to the chart and am attaching here. According to the dimensions on the Jaguar USA website, here are the numbers (except the Cd I estimated to be in line with the others, and the Surface Area was calculated using the same equation used for all the others). It is last place in Front and Rear Headroom, second to last in the cargo capacity and fuel tank (and therefore it was empirically given last place for the range as it has the largest engine - that data is N/A yet). I could not find information on its fuel economy nor on the front and rear legroom so a Sum calculation could not be run. After running it in the simulation it is currently 1 in performance in this group (at least based on the Mnfrs' 0-60 mph times). As I do not have any other data with which to compare, I do not feel comfortable indicating 1/4 mile times or speeds.

It is an attractive model and no doubt the power in the S Type (380 HP) will be intriguing to folks, especially if the handling, dependability, etc., are in line, so it will be interesting to see opinions after test drives and sitting inside the cabin.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
It is an attractive model and no doubt the power in the S Type (380 HP) will be intriguing to folks, especially if the handling, dependability, etc., are in line, so it will be interesting to see opinions after test drives and sitting inside the cabin.
Yup, the driving feel/experience will be the key deciding factor. The all-out performance of even the current X3 35i, is more than enough for me. I have reached 110mph on a steep hill where a Honda can barely keep 70mph... The 35i is a little monster when floored.

I would expect the 340hp F-pace will have similar performance as the current 300hp 35i, given how conservative BMW rates their engines and the slightly larger size of the Jaguar.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #16
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

That's the same engine as the V6 found in the XF, its a nice engine but a gas guzzler.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #17
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Ah..forget the puny 340hp. How about the new Ford Bronco!

"The new 2016 Ford Bronco comes with a few engine types. The first is a 5.0 liter V-8 Coyote engine which pumps out fuel at 420 hp. Just amazing. The other one is a 4.9 liter V-6 engine. It’s OK, we won’t rebel about it. The last, but not the least, it’s an 330 hp engine. "
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #18
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Ah..forget the puny 340hp. How about the new Ford Bronco!

"The new 2016 Ford Bronco comes with a few engine types. The first is a 5.0 liter V-8 Coyote engine which pumps out fuel at 420 hp. Just amazing. The other one is a 4.9 liter V-6 engine. It’s OK, we won’t rebel about it. The last, but not the least, it’s an 330 hp engine. "
One can see how Mnfrs are having to react to their respective markets. Although 420 HP in that vehicle couldn't hold a candle to the performance category of SAV/SUV (whatever the proper terminology is now) we desire, it seems there might be a segment of that Utility category which could use that extra HP.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #19
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

One small correction to your reference Peter, the designer is a Scott man Ian Callum with his wonderful work going back to the DB7 and all! big fan of his work and so his brother in charge of Ford design. the F type is simply the best looking car around, a car that you simply can admire from any angle.
I hope the recovery of Jag continue, as well as hope fully Alfa's coming back, this is all good news for us it will push BMW to drop the Marketing guys calling the shots and taking over the company gradually and give it back to engineers, and with strong competition and choices for us it can only get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Nobody is pissed, I do not care who owns it. It is an Indian owned company only because Ford who owned it previously sold it to the highest bidder (Tata) who had the cash at the time. Discussion on ownership over.

All the top design and top engineering people come from the Coventry area (Midlands) and were and still are working in head office and the design office and were in the setup when it was Ford. The reason it is built in West Bromwich just down the road, is because all the expertise is still there.

Psssst. I would never purchase a Jaguar or a Volvo. Not ever. I posted as I did because I knew all the facts and the MD of Jaguar used to live across the road from us many years ago. As a family we watched from a few miles away in 1957 when the big fire at the Jaguar factory stopped production at the time.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/ja.../query/Jaguars
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 04:03 AM   #20
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

From this thread...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...del--Ford.html

"We are not planning to move in together. I live and work in Essex and he lives and works in the Midlands."

Also we have......

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...e-2019-j-pace/

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/jaguar/f-pace/

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...ars-own-words/
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #21
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

This is mine....

It is shame that you can only spec. the S spec when you want the Supercharged 3 litre engine though.

I prefer the interior options on the other models, however, only with 4cyl engines then.

But think it is a cracking looking car.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #22
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Also, the UK price seems very excessive if you want the 3 litre, there is a £13,000 premium over the 2 litre?!
Starts at £51,000!! That is $80,000 kids! Plus lots of options can be added too.
Appreciate 0