BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
ksneubec
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3xdrive35i

Firewall/Wiring Access

Hi Folks,

Looking to place my order for an X3 tomorrow! Long story short, I am a firefighter and I need to install radios and lights into the new vehicle. I've only gotten a cursory look at the engine compartment, but it looks a bit like my M3 which makes me nervous. It took me a couple hours to remove all the plastic housing in order to get to the computer unit on the M3, which is up against the firewall and has a hole through it that ends up behind the glove box. Not enjoyable work.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get through the firewall? The other option is to get through the body back in the rear of the vehicle, where the battery is. The wires for the emergency lights are small, but I need to get three fairly large antenna wires through the body somewhere too, and that will likely be more of a challenge.

PS- I did do a search and didn't find anything to relevant on this, but feel free to chastize me and point out previous posts regarding this subject if I missed them. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Tough one! I don't think anyone on this forum has tried any "serious" accessory equipment installations yet.

Just FYI: The X3 does have major wiring harnesses that terminate behind the (2) fuse panels. The smaller panel is located directly behind (if you're facing it) glove box, and the other (larger) panel is in the right-rear fender below the fuel filler area. For high-current line attachment, the battery is pretty accessible as is the "jumper cable" terminal in the engine compartment. Getting access to a spot for running major cables through the firewall may be a problem since almost every square inch of the passenger side of the firewall is covered with "something".

Please report back if you find any easy access and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

I hard wired my V1 from the fusebox in the rear and an add-a-circuit, burying wires in the trim along the way to the front of the car. There is also a fusebox you can access through the glovebox but I couldn't see very much in there. Good Luck.

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
ksneubec
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3xdrive35i

Thanks for replying, I'll take whatever advice I can get. I ordered the X3 on Saturday, so hopefully a month or so down the road I'll start to play with it and come up with something. Wish me luck
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

I wired my V1 from the switched power up in the overhead light console. I don't think there is enough usable amperage up there for your needs.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Humbug
Enlisted Member
Guernsey
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 xDrive 20d Auto

I use my X3 as a taxi. I fitted my taxi radio using a mag mount antenna to the rear of the roof, bringing it into the car through one of the rubber bungs at the top of the opening of the rear hatch. Then threaded it through the car under the trim panels. The guy who fitted my taxi meter found it easier to run a 12v + feed from the battery rather than trying to get through the firewall.

I can post some pics if that would be any help, just ask.
Appreciate 0