BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #23
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwoods View Post
I agree with clivem2, I like auto-start-stop, don't understand the obsession with disabling it.
ditto
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #24
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
OP knows that Think he's happy to have start/stop on but just wants the ability to over-ride when he knows it's a very short pause. On the original F25 this was possible with gentle braking but now it seems start/stop always kicks in (once the engine is warmed up etc)

There are plenty of ways to re-start - twitch the steering wheel, tap the accelerator, move the gear shift to sport etc but I think he's trying to avoid the stop in the first place but not all the time.

Correct Rich4 ?

Absolutely! I was getting a bit frustrated being told ASS could be turned off
I quite liked and accepted it on the previous car when it was possible to make a last minute decision if you wanted the engine left running as the car ahead was about to move off. I still wonder if it’s possible to alter the almost instantaneous switching off, as soon as the car stops, and reverting back to how it was pre LCI?

ASS is not there for the benefit of the driver, but purely for the OEM who can claim a lower CO² rating and hopefully gain a competitive advantage against other brands (I have not seen anywhere that ASS is an EU requirement). At the same time, it helps generate both their and dealer profits by replacing worn out starters and other affected components (they actually stated in the past that ASS can reduce lifespan of starter motor).

The car owner may save at most £15-20 a year in fuel costs (in intensive city driving) but it will cost around £700 for replacing the starter when it fails. In the ‘old days’ we knew it was not worth switching off the engine unless you were going to be stationary for around one minute or so as the extra surge of fuel at start-up negates the benefits; also, it takes about 5 miles driving to replace the battery charge, lost in starting the motor. So, extra strain on battery charge/recharge and necessity for brake regeneration incorporated in design (extra cost of feature paid by me) just to keep battery topped up as it uses power for unnecessarily starting the engine and also using daytime driving lights! Anyway, rant over.

Overall, after two weeks, I am more than happy with the car and the incredible difference the variable sports steering has made to driveability and general road feel – I just love it.

PS: Have people noticed the indicated fuel consumption with engine idling—99.9mpg goes a long way towards making up for keeping the engine running at traffic lights!

Last edited by Rich4; 04-26-2015 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #25
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
My 2009 e90 with stop/start needed a new starter motor at about 19k

I have never used s/s in my X1 and that has done nearly 50k

My commute has a 20 mile motorway stint which leads up an off ramp to a set of traffic lights .. I really don't think the benefit of s/s outweighs the effect of an engine suddenly stopping after a long high speed run

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:32 AM   #26
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
My 2009 e90 with stop/start needed a new starter motor at about 19k
Just what I was saying earlier

One of the annoying things is that in the US, the ASS feature is coded to remember the last used setting, so you can decide if you want it enabled or disabled and it'll stay that way until you change it. In the UK, and I guess the rest of Europe too, it's always active when you start the car.

I've coded it to remove this behaviour but it really shouldn't be necessary
      04-27-2015, 04:06 AM   #27
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post
PS: Have people noticed the indicated fuel consumption with engine idling—99.9mpg goes a long way towards making up for keeping the engine running at traffic lights!
'Indicated' mpg may be reading 99.9 (i.e. off), but if you venture into the trip computer you'll see your average mpg dropping all the time you're stationary - you are of course actually doing zero mpg.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #28
robwoods
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d Gran Tourer Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
'Indicated' mpg may be reading 99.9 (i.e. off), but if you venture into the trip computer you'll see your average mpg dropping all the time you're stationary - you are of course actually doing zero mpg.
My X3 F25 (pre-LCI) is 4 years old (45,000 miles) next week and I've always left the ASS feature enabled. I've had no issues with the starter motor, or any other mechanical items. I'm also not claiming that I have benefited very much from improved fuel economy either.

For me, it's the silence at junctions that I appreciate, and the feeling that I may be reducing the air pollution a bit in the area around me.

When I test drove the X4 (Xdrive 2.0d Auto, delivery a week on Monday!) I noticed that the new 2.0d engine was smoother and quicker to act during ASS. I'll be leaving ASS enabled on my X4 too

PS, are we using the acronym ASS with a hint of irony?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #29
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwoods View Post
PS, are we using the acronym ASS with a hint of irony?
Well spotted—I like it!
As you say, the new system is ever so smooth both on switch off and switch on; it's a big improvement on before, except for that one feature (for my use).
      05-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #30
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
you are of course actually doing zero mpg.
^^ THIS

Common sense prevails. Well done Kermit, Mate.