BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Skingle@tx.rr.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28

Question Air Bag Sensor

My wife broke her tail bone and has to use a special pillow to sit on. When she uses the cushion on the front passenger seat there is not enough pressure transferred to the sensor so the "Passenger Air Bag Off" warning light comes on. I've tried putting something solid under the pillow - no good. My BMW tech tells me that there is no way to over ride the sensor to activate the passenger air bag.
Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skingle@tx.rr.com View Post
My wife broke her tail bone and has to use a special pillow to sit on. When she uses the cushion on the front passenger seat there is not enough pressure transferred to the sensor so the "Passenger Air Bag Off" warning light comes on. I've tried putting something solid under the pillow - no good. My BMW tech tells me that there is no way to over ride the sensor to activate the passenger air bag.
Any thoughts?
Make her ride in the back seat until she's healed up! hehe
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Crash Test
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

I don't believe there is any way to override the seat sensor and force the airbag on.

Remember that the airbag supplements the seat belt in the event of a crash, so make sure she wears her seat belt and keeps it snug around her hips. Drive safely and be extra vigilant and she'll be fine.

Sitting in the back seat is only slightly safer than the front seat with the airbag off, so I wouldn't bother.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Skingle@tx.rr.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28

Thanks for the thoughts. We're trying some alternate cushions. She had a chuckle at the idea of riding in the back seat for 8 hours (we love driving vacations!)
Appreciate 0