BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
BerkeleyX3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 2.8i

Talking 2011 BMW X3 2.8i on order

Ordered my X3 on the 9th of January 2011. Status on BMW website says that the vehicle is at the preparation center. I'm hoping it will arrive here in around 2 weeks from now!

Here are some specs:
Exterior: Alpine White
Interior: Black Nevada Leather

Convenience Package
Sport Activity Package
Technology Package
Premium Package
Heated front seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Premium hi-fi system
Satellite radio

Ordered from BMW of Fremont in the Bay Area.

I've learnt quite a few things from reading the postings on here:
1. The dealer must have replaced a vehicle on their production slot with mine... because this is really fast!
2. I shouldn't worry too much if the specs shown on BMW's site is different from what I ordered (as the dealer changed the configuration on a production slotted for them)
3. BMW's website will skip steps 2 (awaiting transport) and 3 (en route) for vehicles manufactured in S.C.

Keep up the good work guys... we have some great people providing us information that BMW should have in the first place!

Just 1 question, does anyone have a 2.8 with Xenon lights? Does it also come with the LED taillights? Would be quite sad if mine didn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeleyX3 View Post
Ordered my X3 on the 9th of January 2011. Status on BMW website says that the vehicle is at the preparation center. I'm hoping it will arrive here in around 2 weeks from now!

Here are some specs:
Exterior: Alpine White
Interior: Black Nevada Leather

Convenience Package
Sport Activity Package
Technology Package
Premium Package
Heated front seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Premium hi-fi system
Satellite radio

Ordered from BMW of Fremont in the Bay Area.

1. The dealer must have replaced a vehicle on their production slot with mine... because this is really fast!
2. I shouldn't worry too much if the specs shown on BMW's site is different from what I ordered (as the dealer changed the configuration on a production slotted for them)
3. BMW's website will skip steps 2 (awaiting transport) and 3 (en route) for vehicles manufactured in S.C.

Keep up the good work guys... we have some great people providing us information that BMW should have in the first place!

Just 1 question, does anyone have a 2.8 with Xenon lights? Does it also come with the LED taillights? Would be quite sad if mine didn't.
Wow, this makes me really hate my dealership. I ordered my X3 35i on Dec 6th and it's still listed as "on order" on BMWUSA. My CA is full of excuses. Maybe I should cancel my order and go through another dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
BerkeleyX3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
Wow, this makes me really hate my dealership. I ordered my X3 35i on Dec 6th and it's still listed as "on order" on BMWUSA. My CA is full of excuses. Maybe I should cancel my order and go through another dealership.
That blows. I realized that my dealer is part of a larger chain called Autonation. They might have a lot more production slots than a smaller dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
That blows. I realized that my dealer is part of a larger chain called Autonation. They might have a lot more production slots than a smaller dealership.
I'm fairly certain that my CA didn't submit my order when he said he did. I'm going to speak with his GSM today.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

It depends a lot on where you"re ordering from. The cars were available first outside the US (apparently BMW taking advantage of exchange rate) and only recently in the US. Outside the US you tack on the shipping time that US customers are accustomed to for cars coming in from Europe. As the X3 just moved to SC, this seems to be messing folks up quite a lot re expectations. I had to wait for US production (as did many) while folks outside we already driving their US-built X3's. Frustrating. Bottom line to me is that you can't really do too much but order and wait. The wait has always been worth it for me (if inconvenient).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
kdl
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue X3 28i

Quote:
Ordered my X3 on the 9th of January 2011. Status on BMW website says that the vehicle is at the preparation center.

You point #1 and #3 are true. But #2 is questionable. According to my CA, as long as order status changed to 150 (or even before that), you cannot change specs. BMWUSA site, spec has a bit lag time, it didn't show correct color I ordered on 11/9 until a few weeks later. Others say that you can change spec at least one week before production begins.

Better verify with your CA, chances are what you see on the BMW site is what you will get. You can ask your CA to show you from his screen shot of the particular prod# or vin#, it's full specs.

After all, it's way beyond quick. My guess is that at the time of your ordering on 1/9, the actual X3 already passed body shop and paint shop, the last step is for assembly. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
BerkeleyX3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdl View Post
You point #1 and #3 are true. But #2 is questionable. According to my CA, as long as order status changed to 150 (or even before that), you cannot change specs. BMWUSA site, spec has a bit lag time, it didn't show correct color I ordered on 11/9 until a few weeks later. Others say that you can change spec at least one week before production begins.

Better verify with your CA, chances are what you see on the BMW site is what you will get. You can ask your CA to show you from his screen shot of the particular prod# or vin#, it's full specs.

After all, it's way beyond quick. My guess is that at the time of your ordering on 1/9, the actual X3 already passed body shop and paint shop, the last step is for assembly. Good luck.
Yep you're right. I was worried. But the dealership did give me a copy of the order before I left the dealership on the 9th and it shows the right production number and the right specs. They made me initial on all the specs on this sheet. So I think I am ok.

On the 9th, the status of the vehicle was "112-scheduled for daily production pack". So it looks like they changed the configuration right before production.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
kdl
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue X3 28i

Quote:
Yep you're right. I was worried. But the dealership did give me a copy of the order before I left the dealership on the 9th and it shows the right production number and the right specs. They made me initial on all the specs on this sheet. So I think I am ok.

On the 9th, the status of the vehicle was "112-scheduled for daily production pack". So it looks like they changed the configuration right before production.
Just a bit too fast. You can call 800# to listen the current status. Opt#2, then prod#
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
BerkeleyX3
United_States
Rep

Will definitely post updates as I get more information.

Here's an image of the order sheet that the dealer gave me... with some bits omitted of course!

Anyone else get this with their order?
Attached Images

Last edited by BerkeleyX3; 01-17-2011 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

Yes, I got this when I ordered my car... and I have a 2.8i with Xenons, and yes the "angels" are LED
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
BerkeleyX3
United_States
Rep

Just called the 1 -800 number about the vehicle status and it said that the "vehicle was released to a carrier for transportation to the port of release" or something like that.

Woho!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #12
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Wow don't get it either. Ordered mine on 11/26 and it's still on order on the website. This blows. Congrats bro.
      01-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
ScottX3
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Has your X3 arrived? Mine has been at the Prep Center since Jan 9.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Hoping to order mine today, I was told that 28i would be a month faster than a 35i. Still getting the 35i

Excited to join the "on order" club! Anyone else picking theirs up at the PDC? That is my current plan.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
JamesBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

We are picking up at PDC on Feb 25th

28i Space Gray with Black Nevada
Premium Pkg
Convenience Pkg
Cold Weather Pkg
Roof Rails

Ordered on 12-23. It would have been ready for pickup at the PDC on 2-21, but pushed to the 25th so we could drive home over the weekend.

Paying $400 over invoice
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
BerkeleyX3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottX3 View Post
Not yet. Apparently it's on the train being shipped to Oxnard. Hopefully in 2 weeks, if there are no delays at Oxnard.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #17
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Smile Ordered 1/29

Ordered for PDC delivery 5/2, they are looking at an April build date. Sales might be soft, Build dates within 4 weeks were available. This will be my 4 th X3, all the others were Munich delivery's. White 3.5, Prem, Cold, Performance, Nav, Rails, Shades, Upgraded Sound. Basically the same as my previous X3's.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #18
BerkeleyX3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottX3 View Post
Got your car yet? I'm still waiting on mine unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #19
halohead52
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 TS w/Mojave

Garage List
2011 F25 28i  [0.00]
2006 E46 330 CiC  [0.00]
Hello all--I'm new to this forum and to forums in general. Never done this before. Neat to be in a space with other BMW lovers. I ordered my X3 on January 28th, told it would be 6-8 weeks. I got an order form that looks like the one in this thread. When I first signed into the production website, it showed the wrong color--black--which I now suspect was just a default placeholder. This morning the color of the picture of the car changed to what I ordered--Titanium silver, so something must have happened! I've never ordered a vehicle before, just took what was on the lot, so this is all a mystery and I appreciate all the information on the production process. My current car is a 2005 325Ci, which I love, but I will be trading it in for the new X3. Nice to "meet" all of you!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #20
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Welcome to forum halohead

You cant beat made to order - selecting from the forecourt (lot) just doesnt cut it

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Welcome to forum halohead

You cant beat made to order - selecting from the forecourt (lot) just doesnt cut it
+1 for made to order. Just a shame it takes so long sometimes!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #22
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
+1 for made to order. Just a shame it takes so long sometimes!
Hope these high winds were having dont delay your delivery

All our booked 20' containers for next week have been delayed until further notice due to high winds at the docks (Im sure the backlog will get cleared quickly)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0