BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Markf955
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 XDrive 2.0d

Upgrade from business to professional navigation

I have a 2011 X3 XDrive 2.0d with M sport pack and business navigation. I would like to upgrade to professional navigation mainly for the larger screen and hard drive for music. I have seen posts where this has been done so I contacted by dealer and they said it could possibly be done but with caveats. The main one is that any software update on the car cannot be done as the coding is done for a complete car and changing nav systems would negate the ability to update other components.

My questions are:

1. Can the vehicle be software updated if I can get the professional navigation installed?
2. If not, can the 8.8" screen be used with business navigation and is there any coding required to make he screen display properly.
3. If I buy a used instrument cluster to display the nav information in the display area between the dials as in the professional nav, will this work with the business nav? If there are restrictions on used clusters, can a new cluster be used with the larger display area between the dials?

I want to be able to take he car for service regularly and not have to worry that I can't get the latest software upgrades due to any replacement items.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

I can't answer your questions directly. But why do you want to do this?
I've got the Professional Nav in my X3 and I've never used the internal storage. Just use a cheap USB drive. 8Gb USB drives are only £5 in uk.
The cost of upgrading just to get the slightly larger screen I would have thought would be cost prohibitive + come resale time you'll never get the money back.
Use the money to get a decent smart phone with a good Nav application.
OR use the money to trade your X3 in for one with Pro Nav installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Markf955
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 XDrive 2.0d

Hi,

I'm okay with the current functionality, just would like the wider screen. It would be a cheap upgrade screen only if it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

http://www.dynavin.com/products/bmw.php

Nothing for the F25 yet but worth keeping an eye on it maybe.
Appreciate 0