BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
doc.crawford
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 2.0D

Sunroof

Hi guys,

I know there has been a previous thread on this issue with the sunroof, but I am looking for some advice on how to deal with my situation.

I brought my X3 into the dealer the first time with the "clicking" noise happening constantly over every bump. They told me they realigned it and it was fixed. It was not.

Brought it in the second time and they said they realigned it and also put some felt tape over a drain pipe which was causing the noise. Made the noise quieter, but still there.

I then brought it in the third time and they had the car for 3 days. Called BMW and they told them to remove it, check tension on everything and realign once again. This was 2 weeks ago and now the clicking noise is only when I go over large bumps, but is louder than before.

I have mentioned what I have read before on what could be the issue and they don't seem to pay much attention. Just looking for some advice on how to approach the situation as I am getting quite annoyed by now as you could imagine.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
I had a similar issue. It took them 6 tries to fix the problem.
      06-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
jknj
Rep
Drives: 12 x3 in Deep Sea Blue

It took them 1 1/2 weeks and one long loaner, but they fixed mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

I had the same issue. You probably want to check that your issue is the same as mine but, if it is, it is easy to correct.
Mine was caused by the plastic rain channel rubbing against the window glass. The rain channel is the bit of plastic that runs from the passenger side of the sunroof to the driver's side. It runs across the junction of the static sunroof glass and the moving part of the sunroof glass.
The back part of this rain channel touches the glass and, when you go over a bump, it makes a clicking noise.

To prove this is the problem, gently ease the rear of the rain channel down with your fingers and place something soft in there (e.g. a small piece of cloth) to keep the rain channel from touching the glass.

If this is the problem, go and see your dealer. They can put bits of felt in there to keep the plastic away form the glass.
If this isn't the problem, I'm a bit stumped I'm afraid
Cheers
P
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
apply felt tape around the plastic center piece divider all side where the glass would come in contact. that should stop the noise, it work for me done by the dealer
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Crash Test
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

I had this issue only in cold (i.e. < 5C) temperatures. After multiple attempts to repair the dealer replaced the entire sunroof cassette and all is well.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
doc.crawford
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
apply felt tape around the plastic center piece divider all side where the glass would come in contact. that should stop the noise, it work for me done by the dealer
I have felt around where you are talking about and it seems they have already done this. It does seem to happen worse when it is colder out. I guess I may have to just take it in again to see if they can figure it out. Any other suggestions would be helpful, Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
electricjet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & F25

Garage List
Exclamation

greetings ... had the same issue ... known issue ... the ordered a repair kit and the pesky noise is gone

attached the parts the used at no charge
Attached Images

08-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
doc.crawford
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjet View Post
greetings ... had the same issue ... known issue ... the ordered a repair kit and the pesky noise is gone

attached the parts the used at no charge

Thank you for that. This week is the 6th time I have had mine in for the same issue and they still have not fixed it. Hopefully this will correct the issue. Thanks again for the service slip picture.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
electricjet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & F25

Garage List
doc ... if you need a wave file of the sound mind made let me know ..