BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

BMW Apps and Android

I have a 2011 X3 with 6NR (BMW apps). I have an iPhone, but unless they wow me with their new phone next week, I want to move to an Android device. I feel the iPhone has gotten stale. In any case I worry the switch will make the BMW apps useless. I use MOG, Pandora and Stitcher very frequently and it is one of my favorite aspects of my car.
I hear rumors that a BMW connected app for Android is imminent. But I don't know what that means. Does it mean that I can use Apps with and Android phone? If not, is there a solution that would allow me to get an Android phone and use my beloved apps? I don't want to get another iPhone, but I might have to. Help! Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

I was in same boat as you! I switched to an HTC Evo 4G Android phone and I solved my problem by buying an older used 64GB iTouch and putting that in the bmw cradle; had to use a little imagination to make sure it fits in correctly and a skull candy cover made it easy. I loaded up all my music, apps on the iTouch. I enabled wifi hotspot on my cell phone so the iTouch connects to it via wifi and can access the internet for the BMW apps (pandora etc) to work correctly. I was happy with this solution for a year and half.

Now I switched to an even better Android phone (HTC One) and a different carrier without the mobile hotspot service (costs too much). I use the iTouch now just for storing my entire iTunes music library; the iTouch wireless syncs from iTunes when I pull into the garage. I use the HTC one in bluetooth media mode to stream music from it and its apps direct to the BMW and its just as good! I have the HTC one on a car dock and since they have a really nice car mode when I dock it I use it for my navigation, music, apps and phone. Since its a newer android all the contacts sync perfectly to the car if I want to use the handsfree phone functions.

Given how quickly car cabin electronics get obsolete, I am even more convinced to not get Mfr navi and other widgets and use an easily upgradeable device like a smartphone or tablet for those services. I hear some car companies are actually taking the same approach and will start using Android or iOS tablet devices directly in the car with a docking mechanism to provide cabin media and navi services. Makes a lot of sense to me as cabin electronics do not seem to be a core competency of car manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
I have a 2011 X3 with 6NR (BMW apps). I have an iPhone, but unless they wow me with their new phone next week, I want to move to an Android device. I feel the iPhone has gotten stale. In any case I worry the switch will make the BMW apps useless. I use MOG, Pandora and Stitcher very frequently and it is one of my favorite aspects of my car.
I hear rumors that a BMW connected app for Android is imminent. But I don't know what that means. Does it mean that I can use Apps with and Android phone? If not, is there a solution that would allow me to get an Android phone and use my beloved apps? I don't want to get another iPhone, but I might have to. Help! Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

O well. I guess I'm getting another iPhone...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

I've had iPhones and android (galaxy S3) phones and at this day and age, I really don't think one is any better than the other. The are both great phones and you can't go wrong with either. But I think that smart phones are getting mature enough now that you aren't going to see big innovations and features every year like we did in the beginning. From here on out it is just going to be minor improvements.
      09-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
wilbertalbert
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: its bmw

I have an android phone and it works best for me. All its apps and features work great. I do not want any other phone than this. I enjoy all its apps as all are easy to use and user friendly.
Appreciate 0