BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-03-2023, 06:01 PM   #1
brad6163@aol.cm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 x28i

Adaptive Headlight Malfunction

After getting this message, I took my X3 into a dealership and they told me that I needed to replace both Xenon bulbs for $1,000.00. I took my X3 home and replaced both bulbs myself. Passenger side works perfectly, but the drivers side does not work and the error message is still on.

What should I try next?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 05:31 AM   #2
drewlucas4
Rep
Drives: x3 f25

Hi Brad,

Do you know what the actual error message is?

I had the same problem about 6 months ago with the error message "adaptive headlight failure, right dipped beam failure".

Ended up being the ballast module on the underneath of the headlight unit. It's a bit tricky to replace but myself and a friend managed to do it for pretty much the cost of the new control unit.
Drew
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:59 AM   #3
brad6163@aol.cm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 x28i

Adaptive Headlight Malfunction

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The exact error message is "Adaptive Headlight Malfunction". There is a headlight symbol with an bidirectional arrow above it and an exclamation point to the right. I hope that it is not some time of headlight motor. Is there an easy way to check the ballast?

Although I replaced the driver's side bulb, but it does not come on at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 07:12 AM   #4
drewlucas4
Rep
Drives: x3 f25

I'm by no means an expert but you could swap the one from the working headlight and vicesersa to see if either work on the other headlight? That would either confirm or eliminate that as a cause.

The main problem with getting to the ballast which is on the underneath of the unit. You can get to it from from the top but the 3 hexscrews are underneath so it is tricky.

The other option is to go in through the wheel arch. There's videos on youtube that show you how to get to it. I guess it depends on how hands on you are? I'm not very but thought how hard can it be? Turns out it was ok.

Not sure how much a replacement unit would be over there but here they are around £100.

Drew
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 11:04 AM   #5
mike_MAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

I've had this happen to me before. One side didn't turn on. In my situation, it was the side that didn't have a headlight cap that failed. I suspected the ballast had water damage and was ready to replace. I tried switching bulbs around to see if that was the problem and ruled it out. After a while, somehow it worked again... and I bought a cap for the headlight.
I don't know if there's an easy way check if a ballast is good or not, but as suggested, you could switch them around and see if that's the issue.
It's a single connection so swapping would be easy. Hardest part is getting them off.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 11:31 AM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad6163@aol.cm View Post
Is there an easy way to check the ballast?
The best way to check the ballast is with a known good bulb since they work off several 1000 volts so it's pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Use a DVM to check if the ballast is at least getting power. It's best to swap left and right ballasts and or other components to isolate the problem.
Appreciate 0