BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-24-2022, 10:18 PM   #1
paranoidandroid
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i (F25)

Help: 2011 X3 x28i - Can't shift out of park

Hi all,

First off, happy holidays!

I've got a 2011 x3 x28i i've bought recently. The previous owner drove it around for months with a bad misfire and a MIL light on the entire time. It ran badly. This has now been fixed. The engine runs beautifully now.

Suddenly, the car won't get out of park. Brake switch and unlock button seem to be operational (ie message pops up if I try to change to drive or reverse without pressing on the brake or using the unlock button.) The car starts up just fine. I also only shift when the doors are closed and seat belt is buckled. The battery was replaced in October and tests fine too.

I've run the EGS diagnostic test and reset all seem to be fine in ISTA. ISTA shows a permanent fault code logged to the EGS (U1164 Message Monitoring Engine Control Check Sum error). There are no other fault codes other than this.

A friend suggested doing a hard reset by touching the positive and negative cable but does that really work?

Has anyone seen this before? Would this have to do with the prior owner driving the car on a bad misfire? Is my transmission or the EGS shot somehow?

I'm in Houston - does anyone know of a reputable BMW transmission shop?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 09:40 PM   #2
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
Did you go through the test procedure for the permanent fault?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 02:09 AM   #3
paranoidandroid
Rep

Unfortunately i can't...the procedure is to perform the the drive cycle to resolve the fault. I don't even know if the fault code is why the car can't get out of park.

Touching the positive and negative cables didn't work either. Next step is to pull up the center console and see if there are any broken wires.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 07:57 AM   #4
paranoidandroid
Rep

Mechanic figured it out. The ISN somehow disappeared from the EGS so he had to reprogram it. It might have been when i had the battery disconnected for several weeks.
Appreciate 0