BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
stefertje
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive30D, Mini Cooper

Tire wear on insides of front tires 20”

Hi Guys,

Just changed my staggered 20” summer tires for my 19” winter tires.
I was aware that my rear tires were totally worn and the fronts have a bit more wear on the insides but now after removing the wheels I was shocked on the way they are worn.
The thread is evenly worn over the whole tyre but the insides are worn down with a 45 degree angle, even so far that there is none of the thread left and even a small bit you can see canvas and steel.
I do wheel alignment more than once a year so I’m convinced it not that (also seen reports 100% ok)
I have read somewhere that a person has a similar issue a that was because if you are cornering quite hard with a heavy car like the X3 especially with M-sport package suspension en 20” tires the insides wear quick due to the fact you are driving sporty with a heavy car and during corners the wheels tend to be not straight under the car.

Running on Pirelli p-zero’s staggered set. 275/35r20 rear and 245/40r20 front. BMW * certified run flat tires.

I’m not a big fan of pirelli tires to be fair but I’m a big fan of Michelins.
Unfortanelly these size tires with bmw approval * on them are not available.

Do you guys have any experience with the uneven wear?

Do you also have experience with fitting non certified BMW tires on a staggered X3 20” setup? Any problems with transfer case?

Hope to see your reactions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 08:05 AM   #2
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had a blow out pretty much in the exact same area of my driver side front tire. Same exact tire as you. Switched to Conti DWS 06+ and didn't look back.
20" staggered setup, exact same as you.

Can't say if it's coincidence or not however... bought the car with the tires on it so unsure how long they lasted prior.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 02:51 PM   #3
stefertje
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwat View Post
I had a blow out pretty much in the exact same area of my driver side front tire. Same exact tire as you. Switched to Conti DWS 06+ and didn't look back.
20" staggered setup, exact same as you.

Can't say if it's coincidence or not however... bought the car with the tires on it so unsure how long they lasted prior.
If I see it correctly the DWS conti’s are
1. All season tires
2 non run flat
3. Non approved BMW star tires

Correct?

Asking because I’m looking for maybe mounting another brand of tires but I think I should stick to the BMW approved tires due to the staggered setup with Xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #4
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

If your tires are wearing on the inside, it is not from hard cornering. Hard cornering will wear the outside edges of the tire. Your car has too much negative camber for the type of driving you do or your toe is off. Just because a car is aligned to specs doesn't mean it is aligned for your driving purposes.
Appreciate 3
      11-12-2022, 01:35 PM   #5
stefertje
Enlisted Member
Rep

Camber is not changeable on the F25 on the front. I drive 99% of the time highway with some high speed runs in germany so don't think i can consider my driving different from where the car is designed for.

I will go back again to the alignment center and do this for the third time this year.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 09:13 AM   #6
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
If your tires are wearing on the inside, it is not from hard cornering. Hard cornering will wear the outside edges of the tire. Your car has too much negative camber for the type of driving you do or your toe is off. Just because a car is aligned to specs doesn't mean it is aligned for your driving purposes.
My guess is the Toe is not correctly set.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 06:52 AM   #7
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefertje View Post
If I see it correctly the DWS conti’s are
1. All season tires
2 non run flat
3. Non approved BMW star tires

Correct?

Asking because I’m looking for maybe mounting another brand of tires but I think I should stick to the BMW approved tires due to the staggered setup with Xdrive.
1) Correct
2) Correct
3) Don't know

As long as you replace all 4 at once you should be fine, tons of people run these tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 11:25 PM   #8
the_saintusa
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Agree, this is a toe issue, not camber.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 03:04 PM   #9
stefertje
Enlisted Member
Rep

Small update from this side: Check alignment, was all perfectly fine. Showed the tires, he asked if i could walk with him and showed me at least 3 X3/X5 20 inch runflat sets with exactly the same issue.. nothing we can do about it.. He can change the alignment so it will be less but it then says it's out of BMW spec.

I just go for new tires and will check regularly.

Regarding non approved tires and non runflats:
These cars are adjusted for running on runflats. Mounting non runflats on them will definitely increase the ride comfort but also the characteristics of the car itselfs. It's not designed for this. Drove once with the wrong (non-runflat) tires, turned around and got runflats.

Regarding non-apporved tires: Even michelin expert i've spoken to says: in a staggered setup be wise and stick to the approved pirelli's... Michelin don't have apporved tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 05:42 PM   #10
green_ember
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i xDrive M-Sport

BMW "spec" for alignment is often not friendly to tires if you do mainly routine driving. I'm almost all highway and I get mine aligned "out of spec" for the sake of my tire budget. My local dealer is good about doing it for me
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 10:49 PM   #11
stefertje
Enlisted Member
Rep

Indeed that’s correct… I’ve tried different setup but this doesn’t feel as sharp as the correct settings.. bmw doesn’t use race spec for an x3 I may hope.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 12:17 PM   #12
Spoolin335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N55 335i

Had the same issue twice on the front passenger side. Inner wear only. Switched to Bridgestone RFT and had it realigned. So far so good after 15k miles. Even wear so far.
Appreciate 0