BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-12-2022, 10:10 PM   #1
jredell
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

2011 X3 2.8i issues (need help)

OK, so my daughter's x3 is having some issues and now it's my problem after some other "friends" tried to fix it. Basically it wouldn't start so here's what they did:
1. Replaced battery
2. Replaced low pressure fuel pump

This is where it got turned over to me. After digging in a bit, I figured it might be the fuel pump control module so I got another one. The factory module was covered in some nasty goo someone spilled on the backseat. Anyway, so now I have a new battery (now dead), a new fuel pump, and a new (ebay) fuel pump control module.

I am new to BMWs, but have read enough to think that I need e-sys to code the new fuel pump control module? I have an enet cable, and am downloading e-sys now. I made a feeble attempt this weekend to connect to the car, but the ignition will not stay on long enough to do anything. Battery voltage was about 12.5 when I started, but is now about 12.2v. I'm coming to this forum hoping someone can point me in the right direction to get this thing running again and out of my driveway.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 11:45 AM   #2
deyrag
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 2.8i

Does it crank and not fire or not crank over at all?

if not crank at all, possibly bad starter. Just went through this and originally thought bad battery but ended up being bad starter that somehow also killed the battery
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #3
jredell
Rep

With a good charge on the battery it'll crank, just no start. I need to figure out this whole E-Sys program el pronto. Is there such a thing as an easy button for a diagnostic and module programmer?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 06:34 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Maybe some of these docs will help?

E-SYS User_Manual_V_3_33_0.pdf

E-Sys - Flashing ECU Guide v.1.0.1.pdf

E-Sys - Tutorial.pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 09:22 PM   #5
jredell
Rep

[QUOTE=pungo;29438991]Maybe some of these docs will help?

Attachment 3007303

Attachment 3007305

Thanks, I'll start doing some studying. I've installed a version of esys I found, but it didn't come with a launcher and I can't get it to connect right now. Seems there's so many options out there, it's tough to narrow it down to one that is complete and works. I don't need to do much, just read dtc and program a fuel pump module. The rest of the car can stay as is, although I know me and will likely go into the weeds on this modifying what I can.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:57 PM   #6
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
[QUOTE=jredell;29439634]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Maybe some of these docs will help?

Attachment 3007303

Attachment 3007305

Thanks, I'll start doing some studying. I've installed a version of esys I found, but it didn't come with a launcher and I can't get it to connect right now. Seems there's so many options out there, it's tough to narrow it down to one that is complete and works. I don't need to do much, just read dtc and program a fuel pump module. The rest of the car can stay as is, although I know me and will likely go into the weeds on this modifying what I can.
Try Bimmer Utility….all in one solution with great support
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 01:45 AM   #7
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredell View Post
With a good charge on the battery it'll crank, just no start. I need to figure out this whole E-Sys program el pronto. Is there such a thing as an easy button for a diagnostic and module programmer?
I have seen this problem before and I hate to have to say this but it could be a spun bearing. With a well-charged battery does it crank lazy? Place the transmission release lever to neutral and try to turn the motor by hand with a 1/2 ratchet. You should be able to with some small effort. If you can't, then there is a problem down there in the crank somewhere and that is beyond electrical issues.

I'm hoping this is not it but I also need to share my experience. Good luck buddy.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:40 AM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

There is so much more info you could provide. What, if any, symptoms did the car have when it was still running? Was it perfect then suddenly one day it would not start? Was there any check engine light? What made the friends suspect the fuel supply? If they were just guessing after a new battery did not work, then you seem to be following them down the guessing path. First thing to do is see if it has any stored codes with a code reader for BMWs, not a generic OBD code reader. Cheapest option is probably Bimmerlink, which you download to your phone for about $35, then you need a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into your OBDII port. Charge the battery and read the codes.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:47 AM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Also, did the friends install the correct new battery and did they register it to the car? I'm guessing not or you would already have a program to read codes because registering requires that. But why was a new battery the first thing they tried? If it was a fuel issue, the battery should have spun the engine just fine. If it was not turning over fast, then I would not suspect a fuel problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 06:53 AM   #10
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Also, did the friends install the correct new battery and did they register it to the car? I'm guessing not or you would already have a program to read codes because registering requires that. But why was a new battery the first thing they tried? If it was a fuel issue, the battery should have spun the engine just fine. If it was not turning over fast, then I would not suspect a fuel problem.
His X does not crank. If the problem was the battery and a new battery was installed but unregistered, it will still crank up the car normally. Registering the battery just resets the car's charging profile. It doesn't do anything for the cranking characteristics of the battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 06:58 AM   #11
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

If you have a new battery all charged up and ready to go and the car cranks like the battery was depleted, then there is drag somewhere. It is not fuel. When there is a fuel or spark problem, the car will crank normally but not turn on. It could also be EGS triggered or out of time but you should see that with a scan tool.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 10:40 AM   #12
jredell
Rep

Apologies for the delay in responding to this, I had to shelf this project while I completed some work on the house that needed done before winter.

Unfortunately I can't get much information out of the kid regarding what's been done to the car and what the sequence of events leading up to the part replacement. I believe they suspected the battery was the culprit due to it being dead after sitting for awhile. The fuel pump was changed because someone thought it was starving for fuel. I suspected ekps after seeing that the factory module was covered in soda or something, but I think I'm going to put the original one back in and see what happens.

With a good charge the car will turn over pretty decently, but honestly I have nothing to base that on as I haven't been around the car when it was running. This whole thing is a bit of a mystery/challenge to figure out what is the real problem and how to fix it rather than just throw parts at it. After chatting with the kid a bit, I don't think the battery was actually bad, but am going to have it tested to make sure before I put it back in.

I do have ISTA up and running now, and there were a mountain of codes thrown. I did attempt to work through the ekps module replacement, but couldn't get to the actual programming of the module.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #13
paranoidandroid
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i (F25)

Your EKPS likely shorted out if someone dumped soda all over it. I'd check fuses and perhaps cleaning the module using electronic cleaner, but worst case you can just get a used EKPS off ebay. I don't recall the EKPS needing to be programmed. It should just be plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 09:05 PM   #14
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
Did you put the original EPKS back in?

BMW Fault Codes - the 481B04

Fault Code Description
This fault is detected if the control current (Phase A) is less than 0.1 A.
The nominal dimension of the fuel delivery rate and the nominal speed of the EKPS electronic fuel pump control module must be greater than 0.
Fault Code Conditions
General Conditions Supply voltage of terminal 30 between 9 and 18 volts.
Terminal Condition Terminal 15
on
Terminal Condition Terminal 30
on
Driving Conditions The diagnosis mode must not be active in the vehicle.
Fault Time Condition
The fault debouncing takes place within 4 s.
Service Plan
Possible fault causes:
Wiring harnessEKPS electronic fuel pump control module

Perform troubleshooting according to procedure.
Fault Impact

Warnings
Warning Lights Check Control message (216): Electric fuel pump! Drive with care.
Control Center Messages
Service Notes
This fault code entry causes the deactivation of the electric fuel pump until the next time the ignition is switched OFF and ON again, when the "Speed missing" fault is entered as well.
© 2023 - BMWFaultCodes
Appreciate 0