BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2023, 07:36 AM   #1
c2012x3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3

2012 X3 Timing Chain

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and BMW ownership: I purchased a 2012 X3 xDrive28i with 79.500 miles last week from a nearby used car dealer. I thoroughly went over the car before purchasing it: everything seemed OK, and it test drove great. I got the car home, and unfortunately while starting it up for the 2nd time since owning it, a check engine light came on and it was surging at idle: p052b - cold start cam timing. I researched the code a bit, and was hoping it was just a faulty cam sensor or VANOS solenoid. I brought the car back to the dealer for repair: I am in NY so lemon law warranty covers major components of the engine for 60 days/3,000 miles.

I talked to the dealer again yesterday: they told me the car is having its timing chain replaced, and should be ready at the end of the week. This car has an N52 I-6 engine, which as far as I'm aware doesn't normally have timing chain issues (those are normally in the N20 from what I understand). Any idea what would cause premature timing chain wear/stretching on an N52, and has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps the previous owner used the wrong oil for years? I'm starting to wonder if the problem was actually VANOS gear bolt shear. I asked for a receipt for the work done so I'll guess I'll find out more when I get the car back, at which point I'll probably get the oil pan checked for chain guide or VANOS bolt debris at an independent shop. Does anyone know if a borescope can be used through the oil drainplug for this, or is it necessary to pull the pan? I didn't realize a driveshaft actually goes through the pan, so that looks difficult/expensive to remove.

Next time I will bring my OBD code reader with me to check for pending codes before I buy a used car...

Thanks!

Last edited by c2012x3; 01-04-2023 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 01:15 PM   #2
Ivan67
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, F25 X3, e90 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Based on the info you give, surging idle is mostly linked to vacuum leaks.
If the dealer is fixing it under warranty, I wouldn’t worry too much. I haven’t heard of timing chain problems with the N52 either. However, any engine that has a tensioner powered by engine oil pressure could have failures if there is an obstruction. The timing chain guides being of softer material would normally fail before the chain “gets stretched”. Some chain tensioners like the one on my S14 (which has a spring that weakens over time) are the root cause of the chain jumping on the gears.
Good luck with your X3.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 09:05 AM   #3
paranoidandroid
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i (F25)

2011 X3 x28i here with 129K mi. Mine had that same code. New plugs and coils and cleaning the vanos fixed it. I did all three at the same time so not sure which resolved the issue. If you are on original coils and plugs, I'd start with changing the plugs and cleaning the vanos first. If the old plugs look bad, i'd change the coils too.

Can the dealer run a smoke test to check for vac leaks?
Appreciate 0