BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-15-2023, 07:34 AM   #1
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

adaptive drive mode

My F25 is my first bimmer. Many features came as surprise to me.
After two years, I found that my bimmer has adaptive drive mode.
So, the computer saved all driving parameters when I drove it and perform in the next round. Wow!

This is how I found it:
I hit the driver control switch on the center console (ECO PRO > COMFORT >SPORT). iDrive screen shows 'Chassis & Drivetrain'.
Upon my research online: Non Adaptive cars don't have the chassis option.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 09:13 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Are you confusing the ability to individualize a drive mode with conflating individualizing & adaptive as being the same? The ability to make different selections in regard to CHASSIS, DRIVETRAIN, or CHASSIS & DRIVETRAIN…is different than adaptive.

The option to individualize one or more of the driving experience modes…allows you to select a permanent parameter for that mode. For instance, if you can individual SPORT mode by selecting the CHASSIS only (which means only the steering & suspension)…the drivetrain will remain in the default setting which is usually comfort mode. If you select DRIVETRAIN only (which means engine & transmission)…then eng/tranny mapping will be SPORT but chassis setting will be the default COMFORT mode.

If you have and ADAPTIVE mode, then the chassis & drivetrain settings will adapt automatically (on the fly) to various inputs from speed/steering/road surface/etc as you drive.

Adaptive Mode

If ADAPTIVE driving mode has been activated via the driving experience switch, the Dynamic Stability Control unit processes the navigation data to analyses the route and influences the driving program to be activated if necessary. If the vehicle is approaching a sharp bend at high speed, for example, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) activates Sport mode without any action on the part of the driver. The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in this information and activates the corresponding chassis components for Sport mode.

Conversely, an automatic change in driving program from Sport to Comfort is also possible. If the vehicle exits a twisting section of road through which it has been driven at speed and then drives at constant speed on a straight section, this results in automatic change over to the Comfort driving program. This means that the optimum driving mode with respect to comfort (Comfort) and driving dynamics (Sport) is automatically set without manual operation of the driving experience switch depending on the driving style and probable route. Route guidance need not be activated for this.

Overview

The "ADAPTIVE" mode is used for the first time in the BMW 7 Series. It is designed to achieve a balanced driving mode where the setup is automatically adapted to both the driving situation and the driving style.

In this mode, the parameters of the Electronic Damper Control (VDP), the Electric Active Roll Stabilization (EARS), Electronic Power Steering (EPS) and the automatic transmission, for example, are switched between "COMFORT", "SPORT" and "ECO PRO" settings depending on the driving situation. However, when "ADAPTIVE" mode is active, no changes that restrict comfort (seat heating, A/C settings, etc.) are made in the event of switching to "ECO PRO" mode.

"ADAPTIVE" reacts to the current driving style. The affected control units can change their parameters on the basis of the detected driving style.

With the navigation system, the mode makes use of the available map data and optimizes "ADAPTIVE" Mode by predictive functions such as early reaction to bends, junctions and road type.

The displays on the instrument cluster and Central Information Display (CID) remain in normal" mode and do not continuously change between "COMFORT" and "SPORT" modes. This is to prevent the driver from being distracted or lose comfort by changes in the displays. "ADAPTIVE" mode changes the modes in the background so that the driver does not notice the changes directly.

The following influences on the driving style are taken into account, among others:
• Longitudinal dynamics
• Current speed
• Pedal sensor position
• Cruise control (sensor data from ACC radar sensor)
• Sport shift gate for automatic transmission
• Turn indicator
• Steering wheel movements
• Navigation data

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
tom2021220.00