BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-09-2023, 08:47 AM   #1
thetyrant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 30d

F25 propshaft/driveshaft bearing and guibo replacment

Ok ive been chasing a vibration from what feels like rear/middle of car (2011 88k miles 30d F25 i picked up at end of 2022), its basically when cruising along between 40-60mph feels like spaced out ripples in road even on smooth tarmac, its fine below and above that speed and while some say i was being fussy i could definitely feel it wasn't right, also had a slight noise/hop from rear on tight junctions etc.

Ive tried a few things to sort these after some research on here other sites but think now ive finally cured it, see below for the details which may help someone in future.

Replaced all 4 tyres for new Falkens -- Didnt make any notable difference to vibration.

Changed the Transfer box oil --- This smoothed out the feeling i was getting on tight turns, possibly slightly better on the cruising vibration but certainly didnt cure it, disappointed with that as was hoping it would after reading others finding it did, old oil was black as coal so well overdue, will flush it again soon to make sure its tiptop.

Replaced the Propshaft (some call rear driveshaft) centre bearing and rubber Guibo where it bolts to transfer --- This seem to of sorted the vibration and car feels smooth as i would expect at all speeds so fingers crossed thats it 100% sorted.

After removing the heatshield above exhaust (lowered exhaust but didnt remove it) i could unbolt the bearing holder from floor of car and there was a small amount of play in the bearing itself i could feel, visually the rubber portion etc looking very good, same on guibo visually no issues but changed anyhows as i had bought one.

I did these jobs without removing prop from rear diff after seeing YT video where they managed to lower front of prop down and tap bearing off, i wont lie it was a hell of a battle doing it this way as im only doing it on small ramps/axle stands so not much room to swing hammer, in the end i got my air chisel with flat end bit and used that to gradually ease the bearing off but still took a lot to get it moving!

I was about to invest in a 50mm spanner so i could take the prop off the diff and do it on the bench rather than working under car, managed it without thankfully.

Ive fitted quality german made Febi/Bilstein parts which came to £88 total here in UK via online motor factor, my BMW main dealer wanted £210 for what is probably same parts in BMW box!

Lets hope its smooth motoring from now on
Appreciate 0