BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-11-2022, 10:27 PM   #1
Tweaksta
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 F25 30d M Sport

Cool Armrest and glovebox USB's don't recognise thumb drive.

Hi, I wanted to load some tracks onto a thumb drive to either access directly or to copy to the HDD in the car. I do have Spotify but I just need something to play if I go out of mobile range (which I will be doing in about 3 weeks). The vehicle has got:
676 Hifi Loudspeaker System
6NF Ext.con.of The Music Play.i.mobilph
6NK Connectivity Bluetooth And Usb Devi
606 Navigation System Business
6VC Control Combox
Have I got the systems required to allow for USB thumb drive reading? I can read audio files off my phone if connected via armrest USB but not thumb drives or an USB SD card reader adaptor.
Any ideas? Suggestions? Tricks to try?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 12:15 AM   #2
Tweaksta
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 F25 30d M Sport

Just to follow up I got it working. File System needed to be FAT32 and armrest USB slot. All working beautifully. No FLAC though.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Cool, glad you got it. Yep it's gotta be FAT32.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 02:50 PM   #4
Packard42
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Further info on USB sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaksta View Post
Hi, I wanted to load some tracks onto a thumb drive to either access directly or to copy to the HDD in the car. I do have Spotify but I just need something to play if I go out of mobile range (which I will be doing in about 3 weeks). The vehicle has got:
676 Hifi Loudspeaker System
6NF Ext.con.of The Music Play.i.mobilph
6NK Connectivity Bluetooth And Usb Devi
606 Navigation System Business
6VC Control Combox
Have I got the systems required to allow for USB thumb drive reading? I can read audio files off my phone if connected via armrest USB but not thumb drives or an USB SD card reader adaptor.
Any ideas? Suggestions? Tricks to try?

Thanks!
I've been trying to increase the the USB thumb drive size beyond what is stated as the size limit and finally was able to use a 128GB USB 2.0 drive in my 2011 335I convertible.
Previously, I had been using a USB 3.0 64GB drive formatted FAT32 (red tab)and that seemed to work ok except my CD collection got bigger.
First, I tried the USB 2.0 FAT32 128GB drive (black tab) and the car would not recognize it. I accidentally discovered that if I pulled out the working 64GB drive and installed the 128GB drive while the car was reading the first drive it would then recognize the 128GB drive and I could play the files on it until I turned the car off. Back to not recognizing the 128GB drive when starting the car again.
Next, I bought a USB splitter cable that allows two drives to be plugged in to the one armrest port. So I have a USB 3.0 64GB drive and the USB 2.0 128GB drives plugged in at the same time.
While both drives are not recognized, the 128GB drive is the one seen and now I have it working without losing recognition when the car is turned off, even after a few days.
Can't tell you why this works but it does in my car. Only drawback is a USB 2.0 128GB FAT32 drive takes hours to copy more than 100 CDs to, but only have to do it once.
Appreciate 0