BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-31-2022, 08:31 PM   #1
DMVisions
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i, 2023 M240i xDrive

Water pooling in spare tire well in trunk!!!! Liftgate not working!

My power lift gate on my 2013 X3 35i stopped working about 2 weeks ago. I had read discussions about this being an issue with water damage to the tailgate control unit or faulty motors on the struts.

Sure enough, I found ~2 gallons of water in the spare tire well area with a submerged tailgate control unit. I just purchased a new control unit on eBay with the same part number in an effort to remedy my power lift gate issue. Hopefully this fixes that issue.

The bigger issue at hand though is the leak!!!! Does anyone know or experienced a similar leak / source of leak?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 04:07 PM   #2
bmwPower99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw f25 X3 35d

The two main main areas I have found are the third brake light and the door wiring loom. More details here https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1919627
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 02:20 PM   #3
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

After you suck up the water you might try cleaning the 4 drains for the sunroof. If they are clogged you collect water in that area as well as on the floor drive on the passenger side. I use a portable air compressor for the 2 in the front. For the rear. Open your tail gate look were the hinges are. There are 2 drains by the hinges. I went and picked up a plumbing snake at HarborFreight. I clean them 2/3 times a year. Some people think you can't use compressed air because it might separate. There are no fittings to separate.
Appreciate 0