BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Upgraded Stereo Evaluation, Dyn Hand Pack and Sports Package EVAL

Test drove the x28 a few weeks back and dealer did not have 35 in stock. I am vacationing in Florida for a few days so went to a local dealer and test drove the 35 they had in stock.

Many, many options selected: Prem pack, technology pack, cold weather, dynam handl pack, sports pack, premium sound and maybe a few others.

Car was silver on black. First, the salesperson spent a great deal of time with me going over all the technology and it was really impressive.

He didnt have the cord to go from ipod to music system but i was able to play my iphone (3G s) music via bluetooth. Very easy and in this format you controlled the play, pause, scroll, etc.. via the iphone.

Upgraded Stereo eval: Very very nice. I really like my music and thought it was very good as an $ 850 option. Yes, you could save the money and go aftermaket, but this would seem so much easier. I was able to turn up/down the treble/bass and play with the EQ on the idrive system as well and I could see paying for this option and being very happy with the sound. I did not play a CD (not sure if it comes with a player) and sat radio was ticked but subscription not started yet.

In short, with just bluetooth, you control all music through your iphone/ipod that you hold; but if you have the $70 cord, all cover art, etc.. comes thru the idrive screen.

* Additionally, the integration of the idrive, and the bluetooth and the nav and stereo was really quite amazing I thought. Backup camera and overhead camera also were quite remarkable. Really cool technology.

Dyn Handling Package: I tried both the normal and sport mode and you could easily feel the difference. Car also had 19inch wheels as well. I personally won't be getting this option but for the enthusiast I could see how you could desire it. You can change while driving with just a flick of the button.

Sports Package: I loved the paddles on the steering wheel and although I am not a huge fan of the side bolsters, I did have to admit that the seats were nice. But man I really loved those paddles...And the sports steering wheel was so thick. It also had a great weight to it.

Compared to the 28, obviously, the 35 was a screamer and had more power. But my 28 test drive was in New England and by myself, while the 35 was in Florida and with a salesman in the passenger seat. Not quite the same: rough roads vs smooth roads. Still, the power of the 35 was intoxicating.

All in all, I am debating the 28 vs the 35 still. On one hand the 28 has the smaller wheels that may ride better and if I ever get snows going down to 16's would be easy. the 35 comes with 18's so I'd have to get 17 inch snows.

The upgrade stereo for me is a no brainer.

Dyn Hand Pack? nice to try, nice to play with, but not personally for me but maybe others who drive more aggressively.

So what I thought would be a low 40's purchase (x28 with nav, heated seats, sat radio, upgraded stereo), may have balloned into x35 with prem, tech, upgraded stereo, sat radio and ??? i see $50,000 in my future

Other opinions? I'd love to hear them...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Marla17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

I am trying to figure out if I should order the upgrade stereo on a 3.5. So you really feel it is a no brainer decision? I really didn't play around with it long enough on the test drive. I was considering doing an aftermarket upgrade but was really trying to not do that.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Great.now you guys got m me thinking about upgrading th he sound.
      01-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
I love my sports talk and really love my music and the upgraded stereo was really good in my opinion.

I tested mainly the iPod via Bluetooth and it sounded really nice.

The 28 I drove did not have it and like you would expect in a BMW, it sounded bad.

875 is what... 2% of the price? I mean most of use the sunroof a few times a year while the radio every day every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Marla17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

Sounds like I better go with the upgrade!
Appreciate 0