BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-02-2015, 05:14 AM   #23
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
Ok, I realise this is an old post but it relates to my question.
Yesterday here in the UK we were lucky enough to experience temperatures in the region of 35C (95F) (hottest day for some years) so obviously air con was essential. I found the air con wasn't as cold as my 7yr old E90, even though I had everything set to low (blue setting, 16C on both sides). Don't get me wrong it was putting out cold air, but not what I would class as freezing my hands off like the E90 does (even when that is set to 17.5C).
Having read this particular post I too was driving with the blind open half way and the sunroof on tilt, so I wonder whether this could have some adverse affect? Although I would have thought that the air con would attempt to push out colder air to keep up if it felt as though it was struggling. I understand that maybe I was losing some of that cold air, so will certainly try it out again with the sunroof and blind closed, but I just wanted to see how your X3 has coped in the warmer weather (Guys in the US, please don't come on and say that's not hot!!! This is the UK after all Although you guys should be the perfect people to tell me the answer)

Cheers
Pete

1. I have been driving during the hottest part of the day for the past two days in the UK in my 63 plate X3 xDrive30d M Sport. The temperature in the south east was indeed over 30 C for a lot of the time and we never had a problem with the Air Conditioning (A/C). In fact within 5 minutes of switching it on to cool the car down to the preset of 16 C we have had to raise the cabin temperature back up to 20 C because my wife has felt too cold.

2. Now to the facts about A/C in cars. Initially, you should not have any sunroof or window open in hot weather, because you are allowing more hot air than is required to come into the cabin from the outside and then cooling it down and allowing it [cooled air] to escape out through the sunroof or the open window. You are in effect making it work more than it needs be. Remember I said initially!

3. To cool the car down rapidly (best in Comfort mode) do the following in cars with Automatic air conditioning with extended functionality (page 126 refers with button numbers in brackets):

- Press the left hand rotary button (3) MAX A/C make sure the light is ON. The temperature of 16 C will be displayed.
- Ensure A/C button (12) is pressed and light is on.
- Ensure Auto (4) OFF (no light)
- AUC/recirculate-air mode (8). Press as required. Having this in A definitely helps for the first period of time because NO MORE AIR is allowed in the so you are super cooling just the internal air.

4. The length of time the car was parked in the shade or out in the sun will dictate who long it will be before the cabin is cooled down enough and you can switch to normal auto mode. Once the occupants are comfortable go into Auto mode where the temperature in the cabin is automatically regulated to that what is set on the display. You can now switch to ECO PRO if desired.
- Press Auto button (4) light will come on. Note. You can adjust the fan speed using button 5 when in Auto.
- Open sunroof to tilt (with blind all the way back) and use button 8 AUC/recirculated mode.
- Adjust rotary dials for driver passenger comfort temperature.

5. I hope I have not stated the obvious in the above. If you are already doing this and not getting cooled, I suggest a discussion with the dealer.

Note. The above procedure worked on my e91, F31 and the older 120d.

Peter
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #24
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: E90 320D, F25 X3 30D

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
3. To cool the car down rapidly (best in Comfort mode) do the following in cars with Automatic air conditioning with extended functionality (page 126 refers with button numbers in brackets):

- Press the left hand rotary button (3) MAX A/C make sure the light is ON. The temperature of 16 C will be displayed.
- AUC/recirculate-air mode (8). Press as required. Having this in A definitely helps for the first period of time because NO MORE AIR is allowed in the so you are super cooling just the internal air.
As someone living in Mumbai, with temperatures above 30 degrees C half the year , I can tell you the following is the quickest way to get the car cool.

When getting into a hot car parked in the sun, put the windows down at least 3-4 inches. Keep the sunroof and sunshade closed. Press the max ac button and leave it there for about 3-4 minutes. Then set it to your desired temperature and put it on auto. Works best for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #25
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Pete

1. I have been driving during the hottest part of the day for the past two days in the UK in my 63 plate X3 xDrive30d M Sport. The temperature in the south east was indeed over 30 C for a lot of the time and we never had a problem with the Air Conditioning (A/C). In fact within 5 minutes of switching it on to cool the car down to the preset of 16 C we have had to raise the cabin temperature back up to 20 C because my wife has felt too cold.

2. Now to the facts about A/C in cars. Initially, you should not have any sunroof or window open in hot weather, because you are allowing more hot air than is required to come into the cabin from the outside and then cooling it down and allowing it [cooled air] to escape out through the sunroof or the open window. You are in effect making it work more than it needs be. Remember I said initially!

4. The length of time the car was parked in the shade or out in the sun will dictate who long it will be before the cabin is cooled down enough and you can switch to normal auto mode. Once the occupants are comfortable go into Auto mode where the temperature in the cabin is automatically regulated to that what is set on the display. You can now switch to ECO PRO if desired.
- Press Auto button (4) light will come on. Note. You can adjust the fan speed using button 5 when in Auto.
- Open sunroof to tilt (with blind all the way back) and use button 8 AUC/recirculated mode.
- Adjust rotary dials for driver passenger comfort temperature.

5. I hope I have not stated the obvious in the above. If you are already doing this and not getting cooled, I suggest a discussion with the dealer.

Note. The above procedure worked on my e91, F31 and the older 120d.

Peter
Thanks for the lengthy reply Peter. I will certainly try out step 3 as I left the setting on Auto the whole time it was running yesterday, so it will definitely be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes. Although its a cooler day today, so maybe yesterday was one of those very rare humid days that we will have to wait another 9 yrs for!!
Appreciate 0