BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #45
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Oh and yes, I do mean more than gravel tracks. We like to camp and I mtb. But it is rare that we'd want to venture further than the ability of the X3, though it does happen.

No opportunity to go off road in test, but YouTube shows plenty of examples. The dimensions (approach, departure, ramp angles) are definite indicators.

The question is - does the evoque drive well enough on road to make up for 99% of the driving we do to make the extra 1% worthwhile. The answer seems obvious... but then there is comfort and that Firenze red to factor. It just makes the X3 seem the 'practical' choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #46
Filski
Private
Rep

Hell of a 'practical' choice it must be said though
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #47
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
Oh and yes, I do mean more than gravel tracks. We like to camp and I mtb. But it is rare that we'd want to venture further than the ability of the X3, though it does happen.

No opportunity to go off road in test, but YouTube shows plenty of examples. The dimensions (approach, departure, ramp angles) are definite indicators.

The question is - does the evoque drive well enough on road to make up for 99% of the driving we do to make the extra 1% worthwhile. The answer seems obvious... but then there is comfort and that Firenze red to factor. It just makes the X3 seem the 'practical' choice.
Thanks for clarifying that - I can certainly understand your dilemma. In your case, yes the Evoque would be a better off-road choice then the X3 although I do recall reading that Aussie-spec Evoques only have a space saver spare? Wouldn't want to be doing any real offroading without a full size spare.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #48
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Having covered many thousands of miles world wide in LR products, I could never be persuaded to part with my own 'hard earned' on any of them. There are not many 'diggers' I know who would consider spending good 'tinny' money on one either. LRs have proved to have been far too unreliable, let me down more times in more inhospitable places than I care to remember. Consider a Kia or Toyota if you need a reliable off road workhorse or a GTB for a bit more class.
Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #49
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I am in the market for a upscale CUV and seriously considered the Evoque. I test drove two different models and found the Ford sourced turbo 4 very respectable. I think it's a nicer looking car than the X3 too.

Following my 2nd test drive in the RR I test drove the 28i X3. The two cars were like night and day! I currently drive a boring 4dr, 4cyl auto Honda Accord and I vowed to replace the Honda with something fun to drive. Wow the 28i blew me away with its performance and I loved the sound of the engine.

I'm now in the market for a BMW! Anyway, before I order a car I want to test drive the turbo six. With the torque coming on at 1300rpm I'm sure the i35 is the way I want to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #50
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Not to support, looks like the evoque winning quite a number of awards Inc Top Gear car of the year!. http://i.autoblog.com/2011/12/02/ran...-car-of-the-y/
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #51
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I just saw my first Evoque in person this week. Exterior wise it's not a very good looking car nor bad looking either, unique is the best way I can put it since there isn't really anything else that looks like the Evoque besides the Ford Flex.

Does the Evoque and the Flex share the same platform? The car looks really similar to the Flex but at the same time it's got typical RR styling but with a rounded shape versus the boxy shape that other RRs have.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #52
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

nop. Completely different underpinnings between cars.

The RR is based on the previous LR2 which I believe was based on a Euro spec Ford Mondeo.

The RR is a better off road car than the x3 but on road it's all x3.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #53
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Can anyone actually qualify that the Evoque is a better off road car? Other than just the brand reputation of Range Rover?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #54
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

RR has always meant Rolls Royce to me. Now that BMW own Rolls and Tata own Range / Land Rover then it's ok to change I suppose.
      12-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #55
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
I see there is a bigger Evoque coming out

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/260365/

Not 'till 2015 and only 4 cylinder endines. I'll stick with the X3 for now
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #56
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
I see there is a bigger Evoque coming out

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/260365/

Not 'till 2015 and only 4 cylinder endines. I'll stick with the X3 for now
Interesting article, if and when it will be an X3 competitor.

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #57
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Lets find a couple of holes and see if the X3 can do this with the stock tires.

... to your question I'll see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
Can anyone actually qualify that the Evoque is a better off road car? Other than just the brand reputation of Range Rover?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #58
Filski
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
Yes it is. Shorter wheelbase and overhangs mean that all clearances are better boding well for body work. The terrain response system is more capable than xdrive for off road but not as good on road. Lots of YouTube out there but no direct comparisons from what I can tell.

Going to go for a longer drive in the evoque in a few weeks to see how it really handles onroad. My mind keeps changing with the wind at the moment but there are a couple of things I keep coming back to - run flats being one of them. More gearbox problems surfacing on the evoque but I doubt there is too much between the x3 and evoque on QC and reliability overall.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #59
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
I doubt there is too much between the x3 and evoque on QC and reliability overall.
Really? Good luck with that!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #60
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Lets find a couple of holes and see if the X3 can do this with the stock tires.

... to your question I'll see what I can find.
Quote:
Yes it is. Shorter wheelbase and overhangs mean that all clearances are better boding well for body work. The terrain response system is more capable than xdrive for off road but not as good on road. Lots of YouTube out there but no direct comparisons from what I can tell.

Going to go for a longer drive in the evoque in a few weeks to see how it really handles onroad. My mind keeps changing with the wind at the moment but there are a couple of things I keep coming back to - run flats being one of them. More gearbox problems surfacing on the evoque but I doubt there is too much between the x3 and evoque on QC and reliability overall.
I'm not claiming that the X3 is superior to the Evoque off road. I'm just not sure if it is fair to jump to conclusions that just because the Evoque is "Range Rover" that is automatically superior at off roading.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #61
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Hey Paul,

I'm not trying to start a flame war here but the bimmer seams to be having a tough time in the mud.

I'd believe the RR has the pedigree to handle the off road better and the bimmer gets the nod on road...

... but really how many people are gonna take these expensive cars off road? Get a jeep its better and cheaper in the dirt.

The x3 blew me away on the road and that's where I'm gonna keep it if and when I get one.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #62
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Hey Paul,

I'm not trying to start a flame war here but the bimmer seams to be having a tough time in the mud.

I'd believe the RR has the pedigree to handle the off road better and the bimmer gets the nod on road...

... but really how many people are gonna take these expensive cars off road? Get a jeep its better and cheaper in the dirt.

The x3 blew me away on the road and that's where I'm gonna keep it if and when I get one.
I'm not sensitive... no offense taken. The Evoque may very well be better of road. I just don't like false pretenses.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #63
Filski
Private
Rep

It needs to be remembered that the evoque is not directly comparable to anything from BMW. They have slightly different strengths.

Both are targeted at the same market - an aggressive styled SUV in the medium sized segment. What ever your personal preferences on styling and percentage of off road/on road ability remain just that - personal. The X3 is a drivers car, on road performance is key with some gravel tracks thrown in. It drives superbly on sealed surfaces. The evoque sacrifices some of that performance on road but gains it off road.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #64
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Also....whilst an Evoque is not exactly an X1 competitor, it's more of an X2. There's no way I could live with less interior space than my X3 has. The Evoque is just that bit smaller in the back to make it not viable for me.
      12-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #65
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Tired of Evoque's design already...

Hi guys.

I think that people will get tired of the Evoque design in time. It looks like a big Mini Cooper. BMW's have a better "classic" design wich will hold better in time.

Then you have the drive, where the X3 is by far the better choice. If you compare the smaller diesel engines and the bigger ones, X3 is a lot better to drive. Then there is the small rear window in the Evoque wich is a lot like looking through a letterbox.

This is, of course, my opinions, and there's no good way to discuss opinions. Better to discuss facts:

Range Rovers as a whole has a bad reputation, at least in Europe, as cars with lots of issues and bad engineering. This means that most people will sit on the fence for a while to see if the issue list of the Evoque escalates like its bigger brother and the Land Rover's before making the order.

Also, the Evoque is a smaller car. Less space in the rear seats and small compartment in the back compared to the X3.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #66
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Filski-good luck w/ your decision...of course I have my preference...8 months later I still find myself wandering into my garage in the evening w/ a cold beer to just gaze at it...but I digress...anyway, you mentioned that you mtn bike-me too...one thing I did before I ordered was I took my size large 29" wheel bike to the dealer to confirm that it fit inside-does, with no problem...I have actually gotten 2 bikes inside-laid down, w/ a heavy blanket in between. Fitting a bike inside was key for me as I travel and like to keep it locked inside if I'm traveling for a few days...not sure you could do this w/ the RR...

oh, and to whoever was at a light next to the RR....I would love to have that situation come up w/ my 35i...actually, I'm always looking for that situation..
Appreciate 0