BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Got a screw in my run flat tire - story inside

here's my experience with run flat tire...

as soon as I hit that screw, my car warned low tire pressure right away.

tried patching kit, it won't go in

finally decided to put in a bigger screw, so far it's ok.....will probbaly replace both rear tires...mileage: 28,200km

anyone able to tell the tread depth based on the pic? any recommendation for rear tire replacements?

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

Take it to a tire store, pay them $10 to patch the freakin tire. The patch will last longer than the tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
rallycobra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

The least expensive fix is to keep driving it that way, but make sure you carry a couple of extra screws in bigger sizes with a screwdriver so if it goes flat again you can change to a bigger screw

How many miles did you drive on the tire with it flat? I would just plug it, but if you drove it home 100 miles at highway speeds, it may should be dismounted and the sidewall checked inside. Once it's dismounted, if the tire looks okay go ahead and have it hot patched.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrmann View Post
Take it to a tire store, pay them $10 to patch the freakin tire. The patch will last longer than the tire.
its sunday, no stores are open, it wont be $10 patch because if run flat. most shops wont even service run flats. we tried patching using the kit, no go.. it will have to be fixed from inside.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycobra View Post
The least expensive fix is to keep driving it that way, but make sure you carry a couple of extra screws in bigger sizes with a screwdriver so if it goes flat again you can change to a bigger screw

How many miles did you drive on the tire with it flat? I would just plug it, but if you drove it home 100 miles at highway speeds, it may should be dismounted and the sidewall checked inside. Once it's dismounted, if the tire looks okay go ahead and have it hot patched.
probably around 10-15km on flat...right now im thinking about replacing at least the 2 rear tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 04:00 AM   #6
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88 View Post
... we tried patching using the kit, no go.. it will have to be fixed from inside.
Does that mean run flats cannot be patched?

Immediately after buying my X3 I purchased a patch kit and a high quality/capacity 12 Volt compressor I keep under the rear deck. The idea being I can patch a hole and extend the range until I can get to a trusted tire store.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Am I right in assuming that as there is a fair amount of wear on those tires, all 4 will have to be replaced due to rolling radius and X Drive?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
its sunday, no stores are open, it wont be $10 patch because if run flat. most shops wont even service run flats. we tried patching using the kit, no go.. it will have to be fixed from inside.
You certainly CAN plug RFT tire punctures. Pick one of these tire plug kits up from walrmart. You'll be plugged in 10 mins tops.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T.../dp/B000ET525K

I plugged my wifes GY LS2 RFTs on her X3 couple years back and the plug held for another 12,000 miles. You don't even have to take the tire off the rim but you will need a way to refill with air. Also, the spot where you got the screw is the absolute most ideal spot for a puncture. A plug will last you until you've completely worn the tires out.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
probably around 10-15km on flat...right now im thinking about replacing at least the 2 rear tires.
If you drove the car for 10-15km with no air in the tire, your sidewalls are compromised. I would replace both tires in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you drove the car for 10-15km with no air in the tire, your sidewalls are compromised. I would replace both tires in the rear.
Good to know. My initial thought was to replace both rear tires anyways.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good to know. My initial thought was to replace both rear tires anyways.
Just curious, I took a closer look at the picture where you said you tried to 'patch' the hole and it failed. The compound you were using looks like the same stuff found in tire plug kits. Did you just try to push it in with your finger? If so you are pretty much guaranteeing failure. Those cords are not intended to be used that way. After you plug the whole you'll have 2 ends of the tire cord sticking out. You just chop the extra off with a razor and off you go.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

Quote:
I don't know where GTA is. Here in Pensacola, if its round, rubber, and rolls, the tire can repaired at the puncture point you have. I had one of my run flats repaired a few months back with a screw in the same location. took the tire off the rim, patched from the inside, $10 out the door. I hope you get it fixed as economically as possible for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Just curious, I took a closer look at the picture where you said you tried to 'patch' the hole and it failed. The compound you were using looks like the same stuff found in tire plug kits. Did you just try to push it in with your finger? If so you are pretty much guaranteeing failure. Those cords are not intended to be used that way. After you plug the whole you'll have 2 ends of the tire cord sticking out. You just chop the extra off with a razor and off you go.
I just notice that after you pointed it. It looks like the plug was not instead correctly, maybe he didnt have the T handle tool.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I just notice that after you pointed it. It looks like the plug was not instead correctly, maybe he didnt have the T handle tool.
i did use it correctly with the T handle tool, there was no room to force it in because the run flat layer at the bottom. even tried pumping some air in before pushing in the T tool. no go..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i did use it correctly with the T handle tool, there was no room to force it in because the run flat layer at the bottom. even tried pumping some air in before pushing in the T tool. no go..
There is no 'run flat layer' at the bottom. The RFTs are RFTs because of increased sidewall strength which allows them to maintain shape under 0 psi conditions.

Push harder. Most kits come with a small auger which you use to ream the hole first. Then you slide the tire cord into the 'needle' t handle device and push it in. Lube the tire cord with rubber cement, also typically provided in said kit. I've done this countless times over the years on both RFT and non RFT and I will say that some tires are pretty darn tough and you have to push really hard. Wear some thick work gloves if available.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
There is no 'run flat layer' at the bottom. The RFTs are RFTs because of increased sidewall strength which allows them to maintain shape under 0 psi conditions.

Push harder. Most kits come with a small auger which you use to ream the hole first. Then you slide the tire cord into the 'needle' t handle device and push it in. Lube the tire cord with rubber cement, also typically provided in said kit. I've done this countless times over the years on both RFT and non RFT and I will say that some tires are pretty darn tough and you have to push really hard. Wear some thick work gloves if available.
thanks for the advice. but gonna be a huge hassle going back to friends place to take out the wheel and what not.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #17
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I also got my run flats repaired. In fact, 3 times in a year. Many shops won't do it, as a lot of people explained, but some will.
I also have the plug kit in the back of the car, but until now, I only had to use the compressor to give it a top up before I reached the 'trusted' garage that charges me... 15 quid.

03-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #18
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
I also got my run flats repaired. In fact, 3 times in a year. Many shops won't do it, as a lot of people explained, but some will.
I also have the plug kit in the back of the car, but until now, I only had to use the compressor to give it a top up before I reached the 'trusted' garage that charges me... 15 quid.

good to know

at this point, i have decided to get new set of tire/rim for summer use and use my 369M for winter since these alloys are strong for winter.
Appreciate 0