BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
European-spec lights on US model?

Thinking about getting the X3, but the lack of amber rear turn signals on the US model is getting to me.

Any way I could get these at the factory or if I did performance delivery?

Also what about getting a set of European-spec headlights without the amber reflector?

Any thoughts?
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
alpineweiss
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F25 X3

The parts itself, possible. But from what I know, just not through the US network of dealerships. I think BMW NA stopped allowing US dealers to acquire Euro parts. Contact a Canadian dealer, or, I read that someone on e90post had success getting euro headlights from a Mexican dealer for their E90.

Just don't expect the headlight assembly to be cheap. I was quoted 1200 each; 1700 each from my stealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

+1 absolutely, +1

Why o' why do they ditch the amber turn signals in the US? Do they think we like those just because US automakers built them for so long? I was thrilled when my dealer told me (incorrectly) that the F25 turn signals were amber.

I consider this a huge safety advantage. The red -- even though the BMW signals are pretty good -- still blend in much more easily in crowded situations when you really need your signals to indicate your movement among a mass of other lights the drivers behind are watching (hopefully). They must also be more visible at a distance, particularly in poor weather.
      02-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
amber is safer, red is only used in the US
go figure
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The headlights I can live with. But I have to do something about the taillights.

It doesn't make sense to me as a manufacturer to stock two different parts just because of color preference. It actually would cost more money. I once called up BMWNA customer service to find out for a different model, and their excuse was "that's the way it is." Even the NHTSA is considering mandating amber rear turn signals.

Actually, if you want amber turn signals from the factory in the US today, either you have to buy the cheapest BMW - a 1 series or the most expensive one - a 7 series. All the other models have been switched to red. Just boggles the mind.

BMWNA, if you are reading this, please give us an answer why it has to be different here! It is good stewardship from the company if it mandates amber rear signals on their cars. The customers cannot decide this, and will buy whatever the manufacturer gives them.

Doesn't it make sense for safety to override aesthetics? Just because the US DOT allows both amber and red rear turn signals, doesn't mean that they should pick the cheap option. We are paying for luxury vehicles, of which are known for their good safety record. Don't cheapen the car just for aesthetics.

I wonder if the factory workers ever question why they have to put a different cluster on depending on the destination of the vehicle.

Anyways, my wife and I are torn between the XC60 and the X3, and this may push me away from the BMW if I can't find a reasonable solution. I would prefer the X3 though.

I am curious if the dealer could do anything for me. Before I bought my E92, I test drove an E90 and the dealer admitted that he also thought it was strange that it had red signals, being that the E46 didn't have them.
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweiss View Post
The parts itself, possible. But from what I know, just not through the US network of dealerships. I think BMW NA stopped allowing US dealers to acquire Euro parts. Contact a Canadian dealer, or, I read that someone on e90post had success getting euro headlights from a Mexican dealer for their E90.

Just don't expect the headlight assembly to be cheap. I was quoted 1200 each; 1700 each from my stealership.
Interesting. If we end up going for the X3, I will investigate the route that you mentioned.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up

For those that are curious, here is the part info for the amber turn signal outer cluster from RealOEM: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=63&fg=20

For vehicles with Xenon lights
  • 63217217311 - Rear light in the side panel, left
    63217217312 - Rear light in the side panel, right

For vehicles w/o Xenon lights:
  • 63217217305 - Rear light in the side panel, left
    63217217306 - Rear light in the side panel, right

Next step is to figure out how to procure them.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0