BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Stephen H
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport Alpine White

Comfort Access Package

Hi Guys,

I collected my car on the 1st September. It was built in July. Soon after I collected it I found my comfort access package was wrong. The twin button arrangement in the power boot was missing. I only had the single button that would be provided with a power boot without comfort access.

At first BMW thought this was normal but eventually agreed that it was wrong and my car should have had the twin buttons (close and close and lock). I thought it would be a quick fix but BMW say it cannot be corrected retrospectively. They have given me a cash settlement in lieu which I am happy with but would have rather had everything correct.

I wondered if anybody else had noticed this error.

I have had no other issues with the car and absolutely love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
kglo
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

That sounds pretty strange...I am waiting to get my X3 with Comfort Access Package (end of Oct), so hopefully they got this right. Did the other parts of your comfort access package work (e.g. door handle,etc.)?

Just to be sure, you are talking about the button described in this video (start at 20sec mark) right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2rNZDvtnM&feature=player_embedded
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Stephen H
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport Alpine White

Yes, that's the button. Mine only has one function, close. it does not have the lock part. I had to take a photo of the button to send to BMW to prove it..

Everything else on the package works fine. The sensors on the door handles are OK and I can open the tailgate without using the key fob when the car is locked. I just have the wrong button inside the tailgate without the locking feature.

This means if the tailgate is the last door closed I have to lock the car with the key or use the door sensor. It's not a big deal but it's not what I ordered.

I still don't understand why the error cannot be rectified.

The dealer was very helpful and I still think the car was a great choice. Enjoy yours.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Good that you pointed out the second lock button on the tail gate. I have it but never used it I always assumed that if the car is locked and I open and close the tail gate it will automatically get locked again. I may have to check its functionality now with and without car locked.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
Andyh747
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I'm still in search of an option to enable opening my powered tailgate with the remote and the car is locked. At present mine won't.

However reading this thread sparked my interest about whether the car locks when the tailgate closes. I've experimented with mine and this is what happens (I don't have CA):

If the tailgate is open I can lock the car with the remote. If I then press the remote button for tailgate or press the tailgate button inside, the tailgate closes and locks along with the flash of the indicators. I assume this means the alarm is armed.

This makes me wonder what the lock button is for with CA. I assume that if the car is unlocked with the tailgate open, pressing this extra button closes and locks ALL the doors?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

That's what it does on mine.
      03-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
Andyh747
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Thanks.

Is it possible to retrofit CA? Is the only extra hardware the handles with builtin sensors? How do you tell which handles have CA and which don't?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
mistermagoo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 x35i, 2015 X5 x35i

Does anyone know if it's possible to UNLOCK all doors AFTER opening the tailgate, without having to use the fob or run to either of the front doors to unlock? My wife and I have a 14 month old, and when we head out, my first stop is the back of the car to start loading all of my son's stuff. Don't feel like fumbling for the key or to run to the front of the car to let my wife/son get in.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

If your wife carries the 2nd key fob the doors should unlock when she grabs the door handle. This won't help with the rear doors as comfort access only works on the front doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermagoo View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to UNLOCK all doors AFTER opening the tailgate, without having to use the fob or run to either of the front doors to unlock? My wife and I have a 14 month old, and when we head out, my first stop is the back of the car to start loading all of my son's stuff. Don't feel like fumbling for the key or to run to the front of the car to let my wife/son get in.

Thanks in advance.
      04-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyh747 View Post
Thanks.

Is it possible to retrofit CA? Is the only extra hardware the handles with builtin sensors? How do you tell which handles have CA and which don't?
I do not know what all is involved, but I suspect it would require upgraded door handles (front right and left) plus upgraded electronics, upgraded softwate and possibly different keyless remotes. It is POSSIBLE that your vehicle does not have the wiring to support it...

I don't think there is an aftermarket option to order (maybe in your country), so it would be a custom upgrade job that should be done by someone VERY familiar with the X3 electronic systems.