BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #23
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
Judd I have no idea how you deal with Perillo. I went in the other day to have a window "squeak" fixed and a wire tucked back into the grill. I had to wait an hour just to tell me they needed to keep the car for a day to fix the wire. I was also told that they would need to order a part for the window squeak and it wouldn't get there till January! Needless to say I took it back to the dealer I bought it from(in the suburbs) and they had it fixed in under an hour! The window didn't even need a new part! Anyways good luck with your X3.
Who did you speak to? There are good guys and bad guys. You don't want to be stuck with the incompetence brigade.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #24
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

GOOD NEWS

I have word from Perillo BMW that my car should be ready for pick-up on Tuesday. I'm ready to be done with this loaner, which, as I have learned in driving it spitefully hard, was left partially in transport mode; the rev limiter is set to 4500 RPMs .

Anyways, while the suspension/steering clunk won't be fixed for a while, I can drive my car until they figure it out. As promised, they fixed the door panels that were damaged by the imbecile woman who backed into me AND they refinished my paint job. Reportedly, they also took care of all the rattles they could using insulation tape and the like.

I saw my car sitting at Perillo's offsite garage on Goose Island earlier this evening . I bite my tongue to say that they should be working on it over Christmas (I celebrate Hanukkah) . Here are a few pics I snapped of it with the paint tape on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #25
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Good luck jud. Sorry to hear all the misfortune

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #26
sard
Major
Rep

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #27
sard
Major
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #28
sard
Major
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #29
sard
Major
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #30
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post

iPhone App?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #31
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
iPhone App?
The Bimmerpost app who stole Christmas...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #32
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Good one! +1
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #33
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bittersweet News

I got a call this morning that my car was ready for pickup. I zipped down to Perillo and pulled in with the loaner--or should I say loathener. After waiting for a half hour, the service rep behind the desk told me that it wasn't ready...then she told me she was mistaken and that it was ready. I turned around at hearing a familiar exhaust note and I quickly walked out to greet what felt like a long-lost family member. I did a quick walk around of the car to find the paint job like new (I'll have to see it in the sun) and the door panels perfectly aligned. All was well. But not so; quickly thereafter the longing reconnection, the service foreman told me that they had just received the dashboard piece today and they still needed to install it...AND that they are still waiting on the new seat from Germany. He told me the car would be ready without the seat by either tomorrow or Thursday and that I could pick it up then and come in for another appointment when the seat arrives. I was expecting to pick up a car TODAY with but one problem: the suspension/steering clunk, but alas no...I can pick it up Thursday with the promise of bringing it in again TWICE over the next few months. And I just know I'll be bringing it in more than that.

So now I get to drive this loaner some more. The best way to describe it--I've actually thought about this a lot, which speaks to how much time I probably shouldn't have--would be excruciatingly underwhelming. Mmmm, 230 horsepower at an engine speed I can't reach. This, this is what I paid for, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #34
Wei Z
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Judd, my 35i has the exact same problem like yours, and as well as the 28i which is the test car of the dealer.
It seems a lot of x3 have this problem.
I sent my car to the dealer and still awaiting their feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

It's baaak!

Saw the Juddmobile back in it's parking spot in the garage. Is all now well?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #36
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Saw the Juddmobile back in it's parking spot in the garage. Is all now well?
All that can be well is, but the steering clunk is a work in progress!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #37
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

We should arrange a 3-way

(Well that got some attention!) You should try ours and maybe we could persuade our neighbors to try theirs. Then we can see what the differences and similarities are in terms of creaks and clonks.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #38
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
(Well that got some attention!) You should try ours and maybe we could persuade our neighbors to try theirs. Then we can see what the differences and similarities are in terms of creaks and clonks.
A fine suggestion!

I am concerned that if you do exhibit the same problem but just haven't noticed it yet, I'd hate to be the guy to illuminate such an insufferable issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #39
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei Z View Post
Judd, my 35i has the exact same problem like yours, and as well as the 28i which is the test car of the dealer.
It seems a lot of x3 have this problem.
I sent my car to the dealer and still awaiting their feedback.
Do let me know what happens!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #40
Sandyb123
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 2.0 xDrive

We have had a few problems with our steering rack. It's been back to the dealer a few times but they initially declined to admit there was a fault. I took it to the other dealer across town but they said that a power steering pump had effected a very few cars and ours wasn't one of them.

On Wednesday I called them again and insisted this problem was getting worse. It had gotten so bad the car 'skipped' in slow speed manoeuvres. The play in the steering had become so bad that you could physically move the steering wheel with the power steering off but unlocked. This was accompanied by a loud mechanical cluncking noise. We have also seen very heavy wear on the outside edges of both front tyres which shouldn't be seen until the car has done twice the miles it has.

We took it back to the dealer and they immediately quarantined the car. They didn't say it, but it's not road safe. So we now have a 3 series until new parts are shipped from Germany next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #41
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb123 View Post
We have had a few problems with our steering rack. It's been back to the dealer a few times but they initially declined to admit there was a fault. I took it to the other dealer across town but they said that a power steering pump had effected a very few cars and ours wasn't one of them.

On Wednesday I called them again and insisted this problem was getting worse. It had gotten so bad the car 'skipped' in slow speed manoeuvres. The play in the steering had become so bad that you could physically move the steering wheel with the power steering off but unlocked. This was accompanied by a loud mechanical cluncking noise. We have also seen very heavy wear on the outside edges of both front tyres which shouldn't be seen until the car has done twice the miles it has.

We took it back to the dealer and they immediately quarantined the car. They didn't say it, but it's not road safe. So we now have a 3 series until new parts are shipped from Germany next week.
Not sure you meant to say "pump", or if the folks you were speaking with weren't listening, but there is no pump; power steering is electrical on the X3. No pump involved.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #42
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190
Judd I have no idea how you deal with Perillo. I went in the other day to have a window "squeak" fixed and a wire tucked back into the grill. I had to wait an hour just to tell me they needed to keep the car for a day to fix the wire. I was also told that they would need to order a part for the window squeak and it wouldn't get there till January! Needless to say I took it back to the dealer I bought it from(in the suburbs) and they had it fixed in under an hour! The window didn't even need a new part! Anyways good luck with your X3.
+1. It's a shame they are the only game in town in downtown Chicago. Luckily, I now live in Wisconsin and have superior options.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #43
Sandyb123
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 2.0 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Not sure you meant to say "pump", or if the folks you were speaking with weren't listening, but there is no pump; power steering is electrical on the X3. No pump involved.
Sorry I don't think I meant pump. They have advised the steering rack has been completely replaced.

Question: The tyre ware on the car has been so bad that BMW say I need two new front tyres. The car has been with them three times so;

1) is this related to the steering rack problems and if so, should BMW be liable for the excessive wear on the outer tyre, and
2) Should they have noticed and balanced the tyres the first two times the car was in,

What are my chances of pursing this with BMW?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #44
jsl1419
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M sport

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
+1. It's a shame they are the only game in town in downtown Chicago. Luckily, I now live in Wisconsin and have superior options.
Yeah, same here! Bought mine in Chicago and live in Milwaukee
Appreciate 0