BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

Your thoughts on the power lumbar support

Being picky when it comes to car seats the dealer advised me to take the sport seats; as an extra option I chose the power lumbar support.
Teh lumbar support adds an adjustable comfort for the lower back that you can move up or down, and in or out.

No matter where I position the lumbar support, I always feel some pressure which is very annoying, even when I pull the lunar support completely inwards.
I just went to the dealer to try a seat without lumbar support and in that seat you don't feel any pressure in the lower back.

I assumed that if you take a seat with adjustable lumbar support, you can pull it in so far that you don't feel anything, but that does't seem to be true.

Does anybody recognize this?
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I have full electric sports seats with lumbar support and don't feel any pressure unless I adjust lumbar so that it sticks out more and applies pressure. You should be able to adjust it back the other way ("deflate" it) so it would be like it is with no lumbar support. If you can always feel pressure, I would say that there is a problem with it. You need to try another X3 that has sports seats with lumbar to compare

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Agree. I can take mine back far enough (pressing the part of the control that's toward the rear of the car) so that I don't feel "forward" pressure on my back.
      11-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I don't really feel anything when deflating the lumbar support inwards either. Although a slight amount of pressure is nice for longer drives.

I think the way that people sit when driving has a very large impact too, upright all the way vs slightly slouching.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

My case is the other way, I have the lumbar support but whatever setting I set, I don't feel any pressure at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

I think I put it pretty low and not very protruding. Took me a few days, but didn't touch it since.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
My case is the other way, I have the lumbar support but whatever setting I set, I don't feel any pressure at all.
This definitely means it isn't working IMO. There is obvious pressure if you push the "forward" button - arrow pointing toward the front of the car

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

LOVE the lumbar support. I have a weak back so I push it out about half way. Not sure why you would have gotten the lumbar at all if you don't want to feel it at all...that's the whole point of it.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Not sure why you would have gotten the lumbar at all if you don't want to feel it at all...that's the whole point of it.
Good question! When I was selecting the options for the car I was afraid that I might regret not having taken the lumbar support (is this still grammatically correct?). Better safe than sorry. So now I'm still sorry :-)

I agree with RSchneider, I'll just give it a couple of days.
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Lower back portion of the back bone is prone to injuries and many seniors complain about problems there. Good sitting posture is needed for people who spend a lot of time on seats (while driving or at work). There is nothing wrong in taking precautions by going for lumbar support in your X3, no need to regret if you have it in your X3
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreeze View Post
Good question! When I was selecting the options for the car I was afraid that I might regret not having taken the lumbar support (is this still grammatically correct?). Better safe than sorry. So now I'm still sorry :-)

Hrm, I think it's something you will get used to and grow to prefer! Best of luck.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

All this aside, and as I've already said, when lumbar is fully "deflated" you shouldn't be able to feel it. If you can, you probably have a fault with it not "deflating" properly. You need to get in another X3 at a dealership with lumbar support to compare it

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Being picky when it comes to car seats the dealer advised me to take the sport seats; as an extra option I chose the power lumbar support.
Teh lumbar support adds an adjustable comfort for the lower back that you can move up or down, and in or out.

No matter where I position the lumbar support, I always feel some pressure which is very annoying, even when I pull the lunar support completely inwards.
I just went to the dealer to try a seat without lumbar support and in that seat you don't feel any pressure in the lower back.

I assumed that if you take a seat with adjustable lumbar support, you can pull it in so far that you don't feel anything, but that does't seem to be true.

Does anybody recognize this?
It's a "Must Have" for me.
      11-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #14
BMW2021X5MSPORT
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Power Lumbar

I have the exact same issue. Feel pressure in the lower back regardless of what I do.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #15
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW2021X5MSPORT View Post
I have the exact same issue. Feel pressure in the lower back regardless of what I do.
Wow, a 10 year old thread resurrection
For me, the adjustable lumbar works well and is one of the best features in vehicle
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #16
BMW2021X5MSPORT
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Power Lumbar Not Comfortable

Lol - I did not realize that it was a 10 year old thread. I was just happy to find someone with the same issue. Too bad it was so long ago.

I have a 2021 BMW X5. Its crazy how uncomfortable my lower back is..... No matter how much I deflate the lumbar support its always too much pressure on my lower back. If I tighten the side bolsters and deflate lumbar as far as it will go, its a little better. I have owned many cars. Many much cheaper then this one. Have never had an issue with the seats.
Appreciate 0