BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
TwiztedTD
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

Help! New to me x3 issues whistling noise and stalling

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2014 BMW X3 35i three months ago.

Ive been having an odd issue with the car over the past few weeks.

On startup it will rev very high for 30 seconds or so, and as the RPMs drop to the normal idle the car will sometimes stall out and I have to restart the car. Or if it put it into gear, the car will rough idle and jump a bit.

Ive also noticed that sometimes there is decent power, and sometimes its like its lost some power when accelerating from a stop.

Lastly I also noticed when accelerating slowly or decelerating slowly there is a whistling noise. I know the car has twin turbo, but im not pressing the gas hard. An example would be when going very slow through a parking lot. You can hear the whistling spin up and then down. This is very noticeable noise that was not there before. It sounds very much like the turbo but I dont think the turbo should be spinning up that much so soon?

When the car was stalling i'd get a CEL light and the codes
P00BD and P1020(01)

The car seemed to drive better with the MAF unplugged so I changed out the MAF sensor. But im still having issues.

Does anyone have any ideas? Ive read it could be a leak/vacuum issue. Someone said check the intake boot/elbow? But I cant find anywhere online where this party may be?

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiztedTD View Post
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2014 BMW X3 35i three months ago.

Ive been having an odd issue with the car over the past few weeks.

On startup it will rev very high for 30 seconds or so, and as the RPMs drop to the normal idle the car will sometimes stall out and I have to restart the car. Or if it put it into gear, the car will rough idle and jump a bit.

Ive also noticed that sometimes there is decent power, and sometimes its like its lost some power when accelerating from a stop.

Lastly I also noticed when accelerating slowly or decelerating slowly there is a whistling noise. I know the car has twin turbo, but im not pressing the gas hard. An example would be when going very slow through a parking lot. You can hear the whistling spin up and then down. This is very noticeable noise that was not there before. It sounds very much like the turbo but I dont think the turbo should be spinning up that much so soon?

When the car was stalling i'd get a CEL light and the codes
P00BD and P1020(01)

The car seemed to drive better with the MAF unplugged so I changed out the MAF sensor. But im still having issues.

Does anyone have any ideas? Ive read it could be a leak/vacuum issue. Someone said check the intake boot/elbow? But I cant find anywhere online where this party may be?

Thank you in advance.
P1020 - Valvetronic Eccentric Shaft Sensor Power Supply. Try changing the sensor, if that does not work, than you'd need to change the shaft.
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 1
Riick135.50
      01-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

It does sound like a sensor issue of some sort. It could be related to timing, air flow, or something else but a sensor is not happy - bad sensor, or getting bad information based on something else like a leak.

Agreed w/ the above, if a specific sensor is being called out, try replacing it unless you can think of another reason it isn't working (corroded harness, broken wire, and so on).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

If power deliver is off too, I'd highly recommend having the car inspected and stop driving it. Failure of the eccentric shaft being neglected can caused further engine damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
TwiztedTD
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

The codes stopped after I changed the MAF sensor.

I took the car to the dealer and they found a cracked seal on the charge pipe after they did a smoke test.

Thanks everyone for the help/suggestions.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiztedTD View Post
The codes stopped after I changed the MAF sensor.

I took the car to the dealer and they found a cracked seal on the charge pipe after they did a smoke test.

Thanks everyone for the help/suggestions.
Thanks for updating the thread with solution!
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0