BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Top Gear First drive X3 20d, as usual.....

.....they are not jumping up and down about it.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/x3/roa...2.0d-se-driven
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

It wasn’t too bad, a heck of a lot better than their review of the first generation X3.
I wish they could have tested one without winter tires and had tested the 3.5i gas engine instead of the 2.0D diesel.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Top Gear are a bunch of MUGS and couldnt care less what they think - all SUV's gets comapred to a Range Rover stuck up a mountain, it is a funny TV program (far too many obvious set ups recently) but not done a serious review in recent years, Jez, Captain Slow and Hammond are too used to driving the very cream of cars

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Top Gear are a bunch of MUGS and couldnt care less what they think - all SUV's gets comapred to a Range Rover stuck up a mountain, it is a funny TV program (far too many obvious set ups recently) but not done a serious review in recent years, Jez, Captain Slow and Hammond are too used to driving the very cream of cars
lol! As much as they don't show any love for my favorite Car brand, I watch them for entertainment for they are funny, nutty men more like WWE.(a mixture of stage acting and a hint of reality)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
lol! As much as they don't show any love for my favorite Car brand, I watch them for entertainment for they are funny, nutty men more like WWE.(a mixture of stage acting and a hint of reality)
WWE! Great analogy!

I can't stop watching the show but the reviews have less and less practical value.

It's annoying how almost every car that gets reviewed has VDC and they always bang on about how good the damping is but never compare it to an X3 without. Now that would be a useful review.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

It's good to see that overall they like the 2nd gen X3, the review for the 1st gen was just brutal. I wish they tested the 35i or the 30d as I think they are the best performance oriented luxury suvs out there with the exception of the cayenne turbo S which costs upwards of $100k. They said that the X3 "[lacks] anything blatantly distinguishing" but I believe mainly performance and handling mixed with luxury is it's distinguishing factor.

Top Gear is a great show and very entertaining but nowadays all they ever test are supercars. I actually like Top Gear America more, the cars they test aren't as good but the cast is great, Tanner Foust is awesome, and the Alaska episode was hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
WWE! Great analogy!

I can't stop watching the show but the reviews have less and less practical value.

It's annoying how almost every car that gets reviewed has VDC and they always bang on about how good the damping is but never compare it to an X3 without. Now that would be a useful review.
Possibly because BMW won't let anyone have a car without VDC.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

The funiest thing about Top Gear are not the now over egged, acted and rehersed set peices which are the staple of each show. It's the irony lost on the pertrol heads who have waited for years to get a tickets, to be told by the 3 clowns on the stage in some underhand manner that they can afford these cars and you can't. It's still entertaining mind!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Possibly because BMW won't let anyone have a car without VDC.
insisting on VDC=More sales of this option to those who haven't researched
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I've noticed that lots of the xDrive20d reviews are manual too. I guess it's a balance of keeping the total cost of the reviewed car down whilst demonstrating its best bits

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #11
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I've noticed that lots of the xDrive20d reviews are manual too. I guess it's a balance of keeping the total cost of the reviewed car down whilst demonstrating its best bits
and those who preview Manual propose you go for the automatic, smart from BMW so you can buy yet another option.
Appreciate 0