BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
donleycott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

2014 Series 3 questions??

Can anyone who currently has a 2014 with the new NAV software answer a few questions for me??

If I don't buy the DAP+ feature which includes "speed limit info" is there any other way to get speed limit info assuming I bought NAV and DA??

If the answer is no, doesn't it seem awfully dumb that you have to buy a $2000 feature to get what Garmin gives you for $100..

NEXT Question:
Can someone explain the purpose of the SIM card that comes with the car??

Thx
Pat
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donleycott View Post
Can anyone who currently has a 2014 with the new NAV software answer a few questions for me??

If I don't buy the DAP+ feature which includes "speed limit info" is there any other way to get speed limit info assuming I bought NAV and DA??

If the answer is no, doesn't it seem awfully dumb that you have to buy a $2000 feature to get what Garmin gives you for $100..

NEXT Question:
Can someone explain the purpose of the SIM card that comes with the car??

Thx
Pat
The "speed limit info" option actively watches speed limit signs to post the speed limit info to the driver. The garmin stuff relies on map data. It is probably 6 of one and half dozen of the other as far as preference, but the SLI that comes with BMW is integrated into everything compared to a garmin hanging off of your windshield. My guess is that the SLI option comes in much more handy in areas (UK comes to mind) where roadways have dynamic speed limits.

As for the SIM card: the traffic info in NAV comes in via cellular data, and then all of the connected drive features like the BMW Live widgets and the Internet browser (if you paid to have that feature enabled). It is also the way that the vehicle communicates with BMW Assist to schedule service, and for voice communication to occur.
Appreciate 0