BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Don't trust parking gates!

Today while pulling out of my work parking during rush hour, the traffic was backed up as usual when I used my card to open the gate to get out. It rotated up to let me thru and I've done this a thousand times with my old car... I pulled up ahead and had to stop short because there was a car in front of me, the gate has always stayed open until I pass through for the many years I've worked there.

Well today there was some malfunction, I used my card to open the gate and pulled thru and had to stop because the car in front of me couldn't go. As I was waiting, I saw the gate start to come down onto the hood of my car! I tried to put it into reverse to back up but the car behind me was right on my ass so I was stuck and and to watch it lower right down onto the hood! I had to get a guy from the building to reset that arm to lift it back up as my card would no longer work once I passed thru.

Luckily it had a foam type padding on the end of it and when it came down it stopped right at the hoodline. It left a slight mark but no damage I can see thankfully but I'll definately never ever pull under one of those again!!

Heads up, don't ever trust the sensors on those things, stay well behind them till the traffic passes!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Thanks for your advice.... lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

That most have been very frustrating, at least you had no damage to your X3!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

That's why I was always afraid of those things. My workplace has the gate that rises up but it is bright yellow. If that hits my car, it will leave a huge gash and yellow scratches. So I rush through it right after it goes up.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
*Whew*, I was all prepared for a story with a much worse ending. Still, I would advise you inspect the hood extremely carefully. At the least, they should owe you a detail job to remove any hint of a mark. If there is a scratch or any little dents, it might be more. You'll be amazed how much more you'll see in a garage with artificial light on it.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
*Whew*, I was all prepared for a story with a much worse ending. Still, I would advise you inspect the hood extremely carefully. At the least, they should owe you a detail job to remove any hint of a mark. If there is a scratch or any little dents, it might be more. You'll be amazed how much more you'll see in a garage with artificial light on it.
LOL, same here. I was expecting an ending like... the car was split into half or crushed into pieces. But yeah, ask if they can pay you for repairs.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

I had similar incident back in 1994. The gate went up slowly (as it usually did) when it reached the top, it's like it hit a release and dropped back down. Fortunately my hood was lower than the gate. Unfortunately I had already started moving forward and couldn't stop before my electric antenna was bent. They had security video of the gate but that magically disappeared when I asked then to repair the antenna.

Always take a picture with your phone's camera, even if you think there is no damage.
      07-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509trooper View Post
Always take a picture with your phone's camera, even if you think there is no damage.
Good advice.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0