BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
3 Years In...

My X3 is coming up to 3 years ownership, and figured I'd give a brief view of my thoughts and impressions.

The car is Sapphire Black, Black Interior 3.0M Sport 2011, I've just hit 30,000 miles.

Faults

The car has had the following faults during this time;
1. CD Drive / Ripping jumping - Dealer reloaded software, problem not gone away, suspect the drive needs to be replaced.
2. Famous underscreen rustling noise - initially padded out with foam, dealer then did something, went away, but is coming back.
3. Drivers Door release cable snapped - to be replaced at next service.

Those are the only issues I've had. I've had 1 flat tyre which was replaced under tyre insurance (which paid for itself).

Overall, I have totally loved this car. The quality of the build I think has been superb, the car still looks like new and the interior has stood up exceptionally well for 3 years (although its only usually a single driver).

Its helped me move house, its helped lugged ridiculous loads around, and all in its stride.

Power delivery has been great, fuel economy over this time is at 34mpg total for the 3 years, which the best I've ever seen at 46Mph.

Originally I had planned to pay my final payment, and keep this car, because it does basically and has done basically everything and anything I have asked of it.

Handled pretty well in the snow, only defeated by one hill, and that was on all weather tyres.

Loved the performance, and most of the handling. Glad I got the variable suspension though, as having it on sport all the time would have ruined this car for me, especially on UK roads.

The dealer has offered me a great trade in price on this, meaning that in 3 years the car has only depreciated 13,500 in 3 years, which must be the best in any BMW I've ever owned.

Why change? Initially I was thinking of switching across to an X5M5.0D, was quite used to being high up.. however due to the deals that BMW have on at the moment, it ended up would you believe cheaper to spec up a new M6 Gran Coupe, which is the car that I have ordered to replace it.

Total change yes.. I come from a long line of M cars, and this deal on the M6 was too good to ignore, so the next few years from september I will be moving back to a full M.

Overall, for anyone thinking about an X vehicle, I would say the X3 is the ultimate compromise in space / size / cost / performance.

What about options that I didn't get that I wished I had?

1. Heated Steering wheel is something I would have gone.
2. Powered boot
3. Maybe a sun/moon roof.

Otherwise.. it was as I wanted.

X3 - A fantastic all round performant car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Good write up Matt.
Out of interest what kind of hill beat the X3, was it quite an incline? I've wondered how well the X3 would cope in snow as typically last winter I never saw any which would have been the first time since owning our X3. Being that I too own a sport model with 19" wheels and standard factory supplied tyres, I'm keen to know how well it would drive / cope.

Although the only thing that worries me is one that has been mentioned before on this forum, is the fact that the X3 struggles in reverse, so not quite sure how well it would reverse off my drive after having snow! I've only tried to reverse up a kerb, but it wouldn't budge! (I drive an Auto and tried disabling the computer aids, but they made no difference).

Nice to hear the resell value is pretty good too.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:43 AM   #3
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Yes a good write up... ours has enjoyed a similar use history.
Re: Snow... Ours handles really well on winter tyres, both here (for our week of snow) and on a trip to Austria, not had an issue with reversing.

Very interested in your resell offer, that is very pleasing, hope our dealer can match it.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:58 AM   #4
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Going slightly off thread, but....
I know that buying Winter Tyres for purely UK usage is difficult to justify (unless you live in a rural area).
I bought some last year because we were driving to Austria in Winter (legal requirement). We didn't encounter any snow there, or in the UK.
BUT I did let my friend take the X3 to the French alps. A vehicle pulled out on him on a mountain road, and he think the extra grip saved his family and the X3.
Watch

Not had the problem with the reversing issue. Does it only affect 2 litre cars? I have a 3.0d.
Never used the CD/DVD player- USB music only.

Only 3 problems with my X3-
1- Famous under screen rustling noise - DITTO. I just push the area down, and it seems to be ok for a while.
2- Driver front seat squeak. Cured at last dealer visit
3- Famous Nav Issue with colour coding of roads. Fixed via free dealer Nav upgrade to 2014-1
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I found this elsewhere in the forum and it appears that I just have to live with the reverse issue!

Some weeks ago wasn't able to reverse through a very small amount of packed snow because of this...from a certain point on, the car seemed to give up on maintaining traction, the engine revved but it felt like someone switched of traction to the wheels.

Some months ago, during summer, the car was at the dealership to verify the situation and the answer was that it was known by the factory, and accepted as normal, but that it would be corrected on the LCI cars, as mentioned by rtm, via software update. Now, isn't it obvious that there should be a service bulletin for the updated software on older cars? At the time the dealership said that it wasn't expected.

Not sure it's worth me buying winter tyres, as we don't have enough snow in the South East to justify it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post

Not sure it's worth me buying winter tyres, as we don't have enough snow in the South East to justify it.
They are good in low temps too but last winter most of the time the temps would have been too high and winter tyres which would have worn out (4mm limit). The UK is such a hard country to predict in terms of winter weather severity!
      07-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Although the only thing that worries me is one that has been mentioned before on this forum, is the fact that the X3 struggles in reverse, so not quite sure how well it would reverse off my drive after having snow! I've only tried to reverse up a kerb, but it wouldn't budge! (I drive an Auto and tried disabling the computer aids, but they made no difference).
Can you confirm- from a standing start if you try to reverse up a standard UK road curb, the car will not let you? Can you video and post this?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Can you confirm- from a standing start if you try to reverse up a standard UK road curb, the car will not let you? Can you video and post this?
That's exactly what I have tried. I parked up at my work place and rested the rear tyres against the curb (not sure how high it is exactly, but it's not what I would class as excessive) and then tried to reverse and the car does nothing. Even if I turn off DSC etc it just revs high, it feels as though it's not even trying to grip the curb and from memory there was no slipping of the wheels either.
I could probably do a video, but not easily as my wife has the car more than me.

This is a 2.0D Auto by the way.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #9
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Good write up Matt.
Out of interest what kind of hill beat the X3, was it quite an incline? I've wondered how well the X3 would cope in snow as typically last winter I never saw any which would have been the first time since owning our X3. Being that I too own a sport model with 19" wheels and standard factory supplied tyres, I'm keen to know how well it would drive / cope.

Nice to hear the resell value is pretty good too.
Hi Pete, the hill wasnt that steep, had an adverse camber, and I actually stopped at the bottom as there was a crash, so I think had I not stopped, I would have had the momentum to make it up, but once I'd stopped I was just sliding back down the hill (in a panic!)

Never tried to reverse up a hill in snow!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #10
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Can you confirm- from a standing start if you try to reverse up a standard UK road curb, the car will not let you
Have done this - both both wheels up a kerb and one wheel (both sides) worked fine not a problem.

Winter tyres were fine from Nov to March this season - even at 15degC they do not wear any more than all seasons.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Have done this - both both wheels up a kerb and one wheel (both sides) worked fine not a problem.

Winter tyres were fine from Nov to March this season - even at 15degC they do not wear any more than all seasons.
Just tried this with the rear wheels only against a kerb and got up no problem. I didn't try with the front only because someone started watching me and I felt like a Wally
I'll try reversing up a steep incline when I can find a suitable one with no bystanders
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 01:58 AM   #12
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just tried this with the rear wheels only against a kerb and got up no problem. I didn't try with the front only because someone started watching me and I felt like a Wally
I'll try reversing up a steep incline when I can find a suitable one with no bystanders
Philtrick - Do you own a 2.0D Auto? And were you able to reverse up the curb without disabling any of the electronic aids? I've just seen your other thread and seen your X3 which looks like a 3.0D to me, which is probably why you had no issue as I understand this only affected the 2.0D Auto's.

I know exactly what you mean about looking a bit strange when doing this, I felt like a plonker as anyone watching is probably thinking you have no idea how to drive!
I will have the X3 tomorrow so will try again when I get to work and let you know how it goes.

Sorry Matt, I didnt mean to hi-jack your thread.

Last edited by PX3; 07-08-2014 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #13
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Philtrick - Do you own a 2.0D Auto? And were you able to reverse up the curb without disabling any of the electronic aids? I've just seen your other thread and seen your X3 which looks like a 3.0D to me, which is probably why you had no issue as I understand this only affected the 2.0D Auto's.
Sorry Matt, I didnt mean to hi-jack your thread.
3.0d, so I guess I might as well stop testing if it only affects 2.0D's.
I'm amazed that BMW haven't issued a fix for pre-LCI cars.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 03:04 AM   #14
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
3.0d, so I guess I might as well stop testing if it only affects 2.0D's.
I'm amazed that BMW haven't issued a fix for pre-LCI cars.

Well at least you did some off road
Maybe I'll mention it to the dealer during my next visit and see whether they deny all knowledge.
Appreciate 0