BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Cupcake
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M-Sport

Cracked Windshield. Advice?

I was driving home from the dealer on I-20 Friday and a heard a loud "pop". The rock hit high enough on my windshield that I could not see it while driving. I got home about midnight that night so I didnt even think to look for a crack. Today someone was looking over my car and spotted the chip, which has now turned into a 6 inch crack and is currently growing in size. I've decided the best thing to do is replace and pay out of pocket. (My insurance deductible is 1000)

Specs for my car. 35i, M-sport, HUD, premium, convenience, tech. I know with the HUD I will prob need a OEM windshield plus the rain sensing wipers.

I've called safelite and a dealer and no one seems to know wtf to do. The dealer I ordered the car from is 10 hrs away (bought from a family friend CA). The dealer I called for a quote said that my VIN number isnt registered with BMW NA which is not true. I explained that I've even talked to someone at BMW NA while my car was in production to check on order status.

Any suggestions? It makes me sick that my new baby has to have all of this done, especially being 3 days old.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
You may want to go through your insurance depending on how much the windshield turns out to be. One of the main reasons I didn't order HUD was because I was told that it requires special glass and if the windshield needs replaced, it is very expensive. Isn't there another dealer around you that you can check with for an estimate? Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
I was driving home from the dealer on I-20 Friday and a heard a loud "pop". The rock hit high enough on my windshield that I could not see it while driving. I got home about midnight that night so I didnt even think to look for a crack. Today someone was looking over my car and spotted the chip, which has now turned into a 6 inch crack and is currently growing in size. I've decided the best thing to do is replace and pay out of pocket. (My insurance deductible is 1000)

Specs for my car. 35i, M-sport, HUD, premium, convenience, tech. I know with the HUD I will prob need a OEM windshield plus the rain sensing wipers.

I've called safelite and a dealer and no one seems to know wtf to do. The dealer I ordered the car from is 10 hrs away (bought from a family friend CA). The dealer I called for a quote said that my VIN number isnt registered with BMW NA which is not true. I explained that I've even talked to someone at BMW NA while my car was in production to check on order status.

Any suggestions? It makes me sick that my new baby has to have all of this done, especially being 3 days old.
Wow, what bad luck. With a 6 inch crack that's growing, your only choice is to replace the windshield, Don't even consider an epoxy injection "repair".

If your dealer can't find your VIN number listing try calling BMW NA customer service. No idea of what a X3 (HUD) windshield costs to replace, but wouldn't be surprised if it exceeds $1000 for the glass and labor.

I had a similar crack in a Subaru Legacy GT a couple of years ago and it was nearly $800 and it was a lot smaller piece of glass.

Hope BMW can get you a new windshield ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post

Tough luck dude!
Wish you luck with the repair. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Cupcake
Rep

Heres an update. I called BMW of Nashville, Huntsville, and Memphis; all within 1 1/2 hours from my place and they all told me the same thing. Around $1000 after windshield and labor, actual windshield varied from $649-688. Heres the problem, there are 28 windshields on backorder and it may be 1-2 months before I can get a new windshield. I called safelite out of disparity and they said they would come look at it in the AM. As long as it doesnt grow anymore they say they can stop it until my new windshield gets here from Germany.

BTW this happened to my Escalade as well. 2nd day I had it an 18 wheeler got the windshield too, I'd rather it be the windshield than the hood though! Metallic is no fun to fix!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I always hate to hear about this. Happened to my Z4 when it was fairly new, from a truck a good 1/2 mile up the road (if I stayed any farther back I would have been going in reverse). Luckily it was a small batwing chip and never spread.

As far as cost, check with your insurance. I seem to recall that most policies have a much lower deductible for windshield damage. I don't think it counts against the other comp/collision deductibles.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Get it replaced ASAP. Most insurance companies cover this easily - mine does not even tap my deductable. Talk to your dealer about OEM replacement and see if they have any suggestions.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Cupcake
Rep

Heres a few pictures of the crack...and my car

Going to see if safelite can at least fill it so it will stop cracking. I may sound horridly picky but I really would rather have the windshield with the BMW roundel on it, just so there is no question whether my HUD will work with it. However, 1-2 months just sounds crazy for a windshield to come in. I may have to settle for something else in the meantime for safety of myself and passengers. At least the crack is in the very top corner of the passenger side so its not in my direct line of sight. Thanks for all the feedback! You guys are the best.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Ouch! Definitely a new windshield. Be thankful it's not winter. I replaced a '04 325i w/ rain sensor a couple years ago. They came to the house and charged only $600 for oem replacement. Sounds like your roads maybe a problem. Have you thought about windshield protection film?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

A lot of insurance companies cover windshields 100%. If not it's comprehensive coverage and not collision so it won't make your payments go up and if you told them you have a new X3 they should cover the HUD because it's a dealer option not aftermarket, that would be like them not covering replacement of a backup camera after a crash. This is also a good reason to have a $250 or lower comprehensive deductible, it doesn't raise your rates like the collision deducible does.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

BMW replacement a must!

Speaking from personal experience with an 08 535xi I can tell you if the windshield isn't a 'BMW' windshield the dealer will treat it as an aftermarket part and won't touch it for any issues like rearview mirror, rain sensor, etc. Make absolutely certain you get that roundel on the windshield - my previous car was used and had a aftermarket windshield I had to replace just to get the rearview mirror fixed - very painful! Good luck!