BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
roguefury
Registered
Rep
Drives: Future 2013 X3

About to pull the trigger on an X3, but...

Howdy,

Been lurking here over the last few weeks as we finalized which vehicle would replace our trusty 2004 Subaru Forrester. After looking at everything from the new PruisV (ugly, and surprisingly poorly made) to the GLK350 (quiet, but back seats are very, very small), we arrived where I hoped we would, the 2013 BMW X3!

I drive a 2009 328i, and was hoping my wife would opt for a BMW as well, so it was nice to get to this point. Now, we have a challenge that has dealers in our area (San Francisco Bay Area) a bit stumped:

My wife will be the primary driver for the X3, and she has small feet...a women's size 5 to be exact. When she puts her heel down on the floor, her toes barely reach the brake pedal. This, as you can imagine, is a bit of a problem. The GLK, Toyota Highlander and several others, had a similar problem, btw. During the test drive, she felt uneasy because she had to unnaturally lift her foot to apply the brake.

- So, does anyone know of a good solution? I asked the dealer if there was an aftermarket brake pedal available, and he gave me a blank stare. The GLK dealer said it may make sense to form cut an inch thick plywood board to lay down on the driver's side of the GLK (probably a similar thing for the X3 would work). Not sure which way to go here and I'd appreciate some ideas from the group here.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

[edit] BTW, we have tried adjusting the seat, but being short, that creates other problems
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefury View Post
Howdy,

Been lurking here over the last few weeks as we finalized which vehicle would replace our trusty 2004 Subaru Forrester. After looking at everything from the new PruisV (ugly, and surprisingly poorly made) to the GLK350 (quiet, but back seats are very, very small), we arrived where I hoped we would, the 2013 BMW X3!

I drive a 2009 328i, and was hoping my wife would opt for a BMW as well, so it was nice to get to this point. Now, we have a challenge that has dealers in our area (San Francisco Bay Area) a bit stumped:

My wife will be the primary driver for the X3, and she has small feet...a women's size 5 to be exact. When she puts her heel down on the floor, her toes barely reach the brake pedal. This, as you can imagine, is a bit of a problem. The GLK, Toyota Highlander and several others, had a similar problem, btw. During the test drive, she felt uneasy because she had to unnaturally lift her foot to apply the brake.

- So, does anyone know of a good solution? I asked the dealer if there was an aftermarket brake pedal available, and he gave me a blank stare. The GLK dealer said it may make sense to form cut an inch thick plywood board to lay down on the driver's side of the GLK (probably a similar thing for the X3 would work). Not sure which way to go here and I'd appreciate some ideas from the group here.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

[edit] BTW, we have tried adjusting the seat, but being short, that creates other problems
You might check with these guys. http://www.ultimatepedals.com/

Dunno if tweaking your brake pedal would void any warranty parts ...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
roguefury
Registered
Rep
Drives: Future 2013 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
You might check with these guys. http://www.ultimatepedals.com/

Dunno if tweaking your brake pedal would void any warranty parts ...

Thanks for the link. I quick view of their site and it seems they offer overlays for existing brake pedals, not extensions. I'll look again though, so thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
sids911
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, 3 GT

This may / may not help, but I felt a bit unnatural sitting in the X3 at first (I'm 5'11", `75 lbs, foot size, mens 12). What worked for me was moving the steering wheel closer towards me. That allowed me to sit comfortably and then I adjusted the seats.
Appreciate 0