BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Drivetrain Malfunction

Strange happened this evening whilst driving home, got a drivetrain malfunction message on the idrive, unfortunately i couldn't stop safely so carried on whilst trying to glance over and read what it said - i remember it said something like safe to continue and also contact BMW service, after 2 minutes or so it went off, i got home 10 minutes later, restarted and everything seemed fine. Had a quick look on the forums and they seem to suggest a misfire either from spark plugs or coil packs? I have noticed on a couple of occasions over the last month or so what I can only describe as a blip in power for half a second or so perhaps this is related? Car is already booked in with BMW in 2 days time to have the anti-dazzle wing mirror sorted (goes green even in broad daylight!) and an annoying rattle fixed which is either coming from the rear bench seat or passenger side rear door so will keep you posted!
      01-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
smckinsey2001
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3

Drivetrain Malfunction

The same thing happened to me on Wednesday dropping my son off at school. The error came up and the car started shaking. I was able to drive home, I kept it under 40mph. It's been in 20 and below this entire last week, and I read that it could have something to do with the weather. Starting tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 40's. I've received the message before but would never be there after I turned the car off.

I haven't driven it the last few days because we're snowed in but I did start it yesterday and the message came up. Does anyone know what this could be?It's a 2012 so out of warranty. (So I'm nervous: help I'm also one month away from paying it off. I'm sad if this is
something major. I've had it since it had 9 miles on it. It's my baby.

Can anyone give me an idea?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
Had a quick look on the forums and they seem to suggest a misfire either from spark plugs or coil packs? I have noticed on a couple of occasions over the last month or so what I can only describe as a blip in power for half a second or so perhaps this is related? Car is already booked in with BMW in 2 days time to have the anti-dazzle wing mirror sorted (goes green even in broad daylight!) and an annoying rattle fixed which is either coming from the rear bench seat or passenger side rear door so will keep you posted!

You do not have spark plugs or coil packs fitted to your UK F25 DIESEL.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 04:21 AM   #4
eleniki
Alderran`s lost princess
Rep
Drives: A bit old BMW

That's bad...
Here's some posts from other forums, commenting the same problem but on different models, yet you still may find it useful:
1.http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1286526
2.http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=731298
3.http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931162
      01-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

turned out they had to reprogram the exhaust emissions module or something like that
      04-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
supreetsingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i - 2013

Hi Guys

I got my car washed bumper to bumper from someone. They did the Engine wash too.

After that and even on the day i have to pick up car , Engine Lights , Drive train malfunction with all other lights come up. They told me its because its recently washed let it dry up. I took car back home and for 3 days the problem remain the same driving without power and not starting up early in morning.

On 4th day onward the problem dint happen. But again after 2-3 weeks engine light came up with drive train malfunction. I got it checked with other mechanic , he reset the sensors.

But after a week finally they drive train malfunction light come up with other flat tire inactive and chassis stabilization lights . This time even if you start again, its not going. I had to take car back home carefully. And it stays there overnight. But in morning when i tried to start my Car, its not starting up and second its throwing some black smoke from muffler.

WHat do you guys think can be the issue.?
I have peoples choice warranty of Gold package but except High Tech Electronic coverage.
I am a little worried now.

Car kms - 125k
Fuel - Reserved.
Model - BMW X3 35i
Year - 2013
Weather = -9 feels like
Appreciate 0