BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
The comments around 'just press the pedal harder' simply does not apply in our specific situation.

If we press the gas petal the car sits there for maybe a second or a little less before it goes, regardless of the amount of throttle being asked for. If you feather the throttle or floor it the lag is always present. If I floor it (100% throttle), it will sit there for a second or so then go. It will chirp all 4 tires and this isn't very comfortable in every day stop and go traffic (plus on occasion the tires have chirped and the traction control kicks in and then you really have an OH Crap moment as cars approach). This creates dangerous situations when turning into traffic as the delay is not consistant and many times when you are trying to quickly make a turn from a stop it will lag for a second then go and in turn the on-coming traffic gets a little close for comfort.
+1

PERFECT description
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
+1

PERFECT description
Exactly the same scenario I am going though daily, and it really annoys when I slow down for EZ-Pass toll booths (5 or 15 mph limit)..if I press the gas pedal hard to beat the merging traffic, ECU will think for 1 or 2 seconds then suddenly a neck straining acceleration kicks-in and in that mean 1 or 2 seconds delay some guy will try to merge in front of me then I have press the brakes very hard.

It also common in 4-way Stop junctions...people think I am trying to yield them by taking off slowly.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Agree with n55x3 and all above.

This really can be considered a safety issue.

Lets use this scenario... stopped in traffic you notice that you will be hit from behind but traffic only permits moving forward a few feet. What do you do? step on the gas and sit and wait to be hammered from behind. If you aren't careful you could launch the x3 into the car in front after the throttle tip in delay (and impending crash from behind) prompt a bigger stab at the accelerator to avoid the first crash.

BMW needs to be held accountable for this design flaw.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #26
tr7372
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
The comments around 'just press the pedal harder' simply does not apply in our specific situation.

If we press the gas petal the car sits there for maybe a second or a little less before it goes, regardless of the amount of throttle being asked for. If you feather the throttle or floor it the lag is always present. If I floor it (100% throttle), it will sit there for a second or so then go. It will chirp all 4 tires and this isn't very comfortable in every day stop and go traffic (plus on occasion the tires have chirped and the traction control kicks in and then you really have an OH Crap moment as cars approach). This creates dangerous situations when turning into traffic as the delay is not consistant and many times when you are trying to quickly make a turn from a stop it will lag for a second then go and in turn the on-coming traffic gets a little close for comfort.
I've only had my 2013 35i for a couple of days, but have not noticed anything even remotely like this description. Hopefully it's been addressed and the TSB can fix it for previous model years.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #27
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr7372 View Post
I've only had my 2013 35i for a couple of days, but have not noticed anything even remotely like this description. Hopefully it's been addressed and the TSB can fix it for previous model years.
Your's should be fine, since the models that are affected are manufactured before 1/16/2012...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #28
MCX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
+1

PERFECT description
My 2012 X3 3.5i was built two weeks before the software update. My lag/delay was most noticable when doing a rolling stop or romping on the gas on the highway when attempting to merge.

My dealer just completed the update and, though I only have one day on the vehicle since getting it back, I have to say I am pleased. the throttle response now feels more like the 328 loaner car I had -- almost immediate and smooth rather than jarring.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #29
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCX3 View Post
My 2012 X3 3.5i was built two weeks before the software update. My lag/delay was most noticable when doing a rolling stop or romping on the gas on the highway when attempting to merge.

My dealer just completed the update and, though I only have one day on the vehicle since getting it back, I have to say I am pleased. the throttle response now feels more like the 328 loaner car I had -- almost immediate and smooth rather than jarring.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #30
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

That's great to hear MCX3! Did you take the TSB that was posted on this forum or did you just tell the dealer of your problems? When you got the paper work back were there any comments on exactly what was performed?

We made an apointment for the wife's X3 next Tuesday. I've printed out the pdf that rchaas posted earlier in hopes that will expedite the fix this time around.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #31
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

The TSB says N52T. I've read other threads that talk about the N52 vs N52T. Is there really a difference? Is the N52T used in US models?
I've got a November 2012 built 28i and want to have the issue checked out.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #32
Bill S
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 30d N57 + E60 535d M57

Took the tsb to my UK dealer - it is applicable in the US only.
No availability of this upgrade in the UK until it has been "tested" in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #33
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
Took the tsb to my UK dealer - it is applicable in the US only.
No availability of this upgrade in the UK until it has been "tested" in the US.
TSB mentions only about Petrol engines and not diesel engines...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #34
MCX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 3.5i

Quote:
That's great to hear MCX3! Did you take the TSB that was posted on this forum or did you just tell the dealer of your problems? When you got the paper work back were there any comments on exactly what was performed?

We made an apointment for the wife's X3 next Tuesday. I've printed out the pdf that rchaas posted earlier in hopes that will expedite the fix this time around.
I did not bring the TSB......it had not been posted here when I brought the car in. My service adviser had not heard of the problem but brought up a list of open TSB's to see if he found one matching the description of the problem and did find the same one posted here and created the work order. Do yourselves a favor though and print the TSB posted here and bring it in with you to save some time.

When the tech performed the test drive he commented on the ticket notes that he was not able to confirm my complaint but they did the upgrade anyhow. I was not in the car during the test drive....had I been he would have seen the issue.

On the Repair Invoice (all no charge):

0000006 Performing Vehicle Test
6100730 Programming /Encoding Control Units
FC: 1042037100
Part# <blank>
Count: <blank>
Claim Type: <blank>
Auth Code:<blank>

In the tech notes he listed ".........found SIB 24 02 12 concerning exact symptoms. Checked vehicle integration level and found that the car integration level requires update to the latest update. Vehicle initial integration level F025-11-09-507. Current vehicle integration level after programming: F025-12-03-501."
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #35
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Just picked up the car from the dealer and I can feel the substantial improvement while short driving back home, 'D' responds like 'DS' and I should adjust to that in heavy Boston traffic.

I did try 'DS' mode and embarrassed an Audi TT driver.... I am convinced with the s/w update.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #36
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Great news sivakumarbalu.

There were many members on this forum who denied there was a problem... I suppose they were unaware how a proper accelerator was suppose to work.
QUOTE=sivakumarbalu;11825531]Just picked up the car from the dealer and I can feel the substantial improvement while short driving back home, 'D' responds like 'DS' and I should adjust to that in heavy Boston traffic.

I did try 'DS' mode and embarrassed an Audi TT driver.... I am convinced with the s/w update.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #37
jsl1419
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M sport

I've noticed it from my first test drive last year. Finally, I'll drop mine off this Thursday to update software.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #38
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Took the X3 into the dealer yesterday with 3 complaints: Throttle Lag, Fluctuating idle, loud wind noise coming from the right A-pillar / mirror area.

Upon greeting the advisor and explaining the main problem: throttle lag I got the standard 'This is how all BMWs opperate, there is nothinig wrong with your X3. If there was a problem BMW would have contacted you. blah blah blah.' We then produced the TSB (can't thank the original poster enough for this) and he then said and I quote 'We would greatly appreciate it if you didn't tell us how to do our jobs.' WTF, really? Anyway, later in the afternoon they called to say there were doing the software update and it would be ready for pick up the following day (today). They also ordered 2 revised parts to address the wind noise and they were supposed to be delivered today as well. Concerning the fluctuating idle, that should also be resolved with the SW patch.

So all in all wife was extremely happy and very excited to see if the SW patch really addresses her throttle lag. I really hope it does. It's no fun listening to the wife come home every single night talking about how much she hates the throttle tip in on her X3.

Also, they gave her a new F30 Modern Line 328i. I'll be honest, it's not that great. I had high hopes too. Beleive it or not but I really think the X3 feels more stable and obviously the N55 is more stout than the little turbo 4 in the 328. I'd pick the X3 over the F30 any day. I had planned on picking up a new F31 335i (wagon) in M Sport trim if they decide to ship to the US but now I may seriously have to consider looking at an S4 or something similar. I just hope with the M Sport adjustable suspension and the N55 the F31 will be entirely different than what we drove around in yesterday. Also, fwiw, this F30 had a terrible whisteling coming from same area as that on the X3 BUT it was even louder.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #39
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu View Post
Just picked up the car from the dealer and I can feel the substantial improvement while short driving back home, 'D' responds like 'DS' and I should adjust to that in heavy Boston traffic.

I did try 'DS' mode and embarrassed an Audi TT driver.... I am convinced with the s/w update.

Great news! I'm going to make an appointment and bring mine in soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #40
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Well if the SA were doing their jobs they would already know there was a TSB to address your concern. You would think the SA would appreciate additional information to resolve your issue and to help future customers.

My Niece's boyfriend is a SA for a Honda dealership and says they hate customers who bring in information from the internet. Lets face it the SA have to deal with dozens of models and production years so they can't be expected to know everything... I just wish they (the SA) understood that.

Quote:
Took the X3 into the dealer yesterday with 3 complaints: Throttle Lag, Fluctuating idle, loud wind noise coming from the right A-pillar / mirror area.

Upon greeting the advisor and explaining the main problem: throttle lag I got the standard 'This is how all BMWs opperate, there is nothinig wrong with your X3. If there was a problem BMW would have contacted you. blah blah blah.' We then produced the TSB (can't thank the original poster enough for this) and he then said and I quote 'We would greatly appreciate it if you didn't tell us how to do our jobs.' WTF, really? Anyway, later in the afternoon they called to say there were doing the software update and it would be ready for pick up the following day (today). They also ordered 2 revised parts to address the wind noise and they were supposed to be delivered today as well. Concerning the fluctuating idle, that should also be resolved with the SW patch.

So all in all wife was extremely happy and very excited to see if the SW patch really addresses her throttle lag. I really hope it does. It's no fun listening to the wife come home every single night talking about how much she hates the throttle tip in on her X3.

Also, they gave her a new F30 Modern Line 328i. I'll be honest, it's not that great. I had high hopes too. Beleive it or not but I really think the X3 feels more stable and obviously the N55 is more stout than the little turbo 4 in the 328. I'd pick the X3 over the F30 any day. I had planned on picking up a new F31 335i (wagon) in M Sport trim if they decide to ship to the US but now I may seriously have to consider looking at an S4 or something similar. I just hope with the M Sport adjustable suspension and the N55 the F31 will be entirely different than what we drove around in yesterday. Also, fwiw, this F30 had a terrible whisteling coming from same area as that on the X3 BUT it was even louder.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #41
ZipSpeed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

Brought my X3 in to the dealer today to replace a faulty combox. The software had to be reloaded and I'm going to assume the throttle lag fix was part of this update. The throttle is so much more responsive now! 300 HP actually feels like 300 HP now!

No more Corollas beating me off the line anymore!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #42
AtlM5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i

You guys do realize that this isn't a design flaw right? It is just how turbo cars are. BMW has done a lot to mitigate this side effect of turboing the car but it will still always be there somewhat at least. You guys should drive a car with a big single turbo then talk about lag.
      04-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #43
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlM5 View Post
You guys do realize that this isn't a design flaw right? It is just how turbo cars are. BMW has done a lot to mitigate this side effect of turboing the car but it will still always be there somewhat at least. You guys should drive a car with a big single turbo then talk about lag.
This is not turbo lag. I've owned enough of them to know that it doesn't have to be this way. My '99 944T had terrible lag. There was no delay in throttle response, but it didn't make a lot of power until the rpm and boost came up. Our old PT Cruiser turbo didn't have this delay, but it did some turbo lag.

My 2002 330 was very similar in laggy throttle response off idle. At the time, I attributed it to the drive-by-wire throttle. I drove a friend's Z06 Vette, which was also DBW, but you'd never know it. It's all in the programming.

BMW knows how to do it right, though. I've owned a 2001 and 2011 M3s that felt very natural in response. I don't know why they have programmed the X3 to respond this way. Even my 2008 135i was better (also a turbo).

BTW, my X3 was a February 2012 build. I've learned to live with it by either taking off very gently, or if a quicker launch is needed, I left foot brake until the power starts to build. That technique seems a little smoother than using the auto-hold function.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #44
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlM5 View Post
Definitely not turbo lag. The X3 does use a big single turbo. The X3 actually has almost no turbo lag to speak of.

My daily driver is a stage 2 subaru legacy GT, now that thing has some serious turbo lag.

On a related note, got the X3 back from the reprogram. Seems to be much better. Throttle tip in resulted in almost immediate movement. The true test will be today when my wife puts it through its normal paces. But my initial feeling is that the lag has been mostly eliminated. X3 felt very different.
Appreciate 0