BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Importing Trip (with waypoints) to Pro Nav + Google Street View Zoom

Hi all,

If there is already a thread to this let me know- the forum search doesn't work so well.
Anyway- I'm planning a trip to France early next year and want to travel a preplanned route (not the one recommended by Sat Nav).
I know Send to Car can only send a single destination- is it possible via USB to import a whole route including waypoints, if so how? (page 15 of Entertainment handbook)?
OR is my only option to build a route directly on the Pro Nav interface :-(

Also- I was messing around with the Sat Nav and discovered a very slow Google Street View for my destination. I could look at 4 90 degree views using the i-drive controller but there didn't seem to be a zoom in option. Is there?

Last edited by philtrick123; 10-17-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I don't think you can use way-points.

Alternatively you could send the multiple destinations in your trip sequence artificially creating the way-points.
      10-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Hi all,

If there is already a thread to this let me know- the forum search doesn't work so well.
Anyway- I'm planning a trip to France early next year and want to travel a preplanned route (not the one recommended by Sat Nav).
I know Send to Car can only send a single destination- is it possible via USB to import a whole route including waypoints, if so how? (page 15 of Entertainment handbook)?
OR is my only option to build a route directly on the Pro Nav interface :-(

Also- I was messing around with the Sat Nav and discovered a very slow Google Street View for my destination. I could look at 4 90 degree views using the i-drive controller but there didn't seem to be a zoom in option. Is there?
I did exactly what you want to do earlier in the year. I planned routes taking in various points of interest moving between 5 different Eurocamp sites. I named each of the 5 routes having planned each on the lap top and then sent each to the car. All worked perfectly. No need for USB.
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X35D For Me View Post
I did exactly what you want to do earlier in the year. I planned routes taking in various points of interest moving between 5 different Eurocamp sites. I named each of the 5 routes having planned each on the lap top and then sent each to the car. All worked perfectly. No need for USB.
The route I want to take is continuous, i.e. non stop. I'm driving to the Alps, and google maps + the car sat nav want to take me through Paris. I also want to detour slightly before I get to Lyon. So it's a single journey with around 5 points I want to pass through.
Any ideas. Handbook says you can import a trip via USB- How? Or can I do it via the BMW Connected Drive website?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

You can only send end points, not routes. If you can recreate the same route using multiple end points, send them all to the car as described above by X35ForMe, then put them together by adding them as destinations. You're stuck with BMW's interpretation of the minimal spanning tree between any two points though - which isn't great sometimes

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

see print screen below.

I selected multiple destinations (waypoints) and was able to send to car. I don't know if it works but I'll try tomorrow as I plan a 2hr road trip.
Attached Images

10-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Using BMW Routes & Traffic online you can set waypoints into your route.

Enter Start & End of route and let it give you a route.
Left click on the part of the route you wish to avoid and slide the small circle to the route you want. Let it recalculate. Fiddle if necessary.
Save and Send the Route to the car

This produces a route with waypoints that the car respects.

I suggest that you practice with a local route first.

I have found no way of doing this from in the car.

Not as good as most Nav Systems, but it worked well this summer in an extended holiday in France.

Note - Doing the same thing with Google Maps does NOT work. Despite modifying the Google route and creating Waypoints, all that is sent to the car is the destination not the route.

Last edited by Rogerbu; 10-18-2012 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
see print screen below.

I selected multiple destinations (waypoints) and was able to send to car. I don't know if it works but I'll try tomorrow as I plan a 2hr road trip.
I tried this in- and per Rogerbu's comments it didn't work. It only sent the final destination. I'll try Rogerbu's suggestion.
I wonder if there is a programmer out there who put BMW Routes & Traffic online functionality into a Google Maps add-in?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
see print screen below.

This won't work. If you look at the dialog box that pops up on Google Maps it says "Only destination address will get sent." and indeed that's all that gets sent. You can send each waypoint individually and then add them together into one route in the car though

You can also put together a route on the BMW website (www.bmw-routes.com/uk/) as suggested but I have had all sorts of issues trying to do this before. Maybe it's better now...

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0