BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

I went the broker route and after 4 months the order failed - seems very common.

I then looked carefully at the ex demos on BMW's site. I eventually got a 30D with all the features I wanted. It had been on the road 4 weeks and 1250 miles (as delivered to my home in Portsmouth from Birmingham) - the discount was over £7000.

I was delighted. I had a 30D with the features I wanted for the price of a similar 20D

On delivery the only thing I found was that one of the Alloys had been kerbed - dealer response was to instantly authorise that it be repaired. My choice local or at dealers - I was going to Birmingham 2 weeks later so I waited and let them do it - invisible.

With the exception of Auto & Metallic. I assumed that all other features are worth nothing at sale time.

I worried over the Nav. at 2K it is expensive. I am now glad I went for it.

Whilst looking at the ex demo cars, I had hardened up on the feature set I wanted. I then phoned dealers in the south with the 'opportunity'. Give me 7% and I will order today - best I could get was 4% - Ex demo 30D was the better deal for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #24
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
I went the broker route and after 4 months the order failed - seems very common.

I then looked carefully at the ex demos on BMW's site. I eventually got a 30D with all the features I wanted. It had been on the road 4 weeks and 1250 miles (as delivered to my home in Portsmouth from Birmingham) - the discount was over £7000.

I was delighted. I had a 30D with the features I wanted for the price of a similar 20D

On delivery the only thing I found was that one of the Alloys had been kerbed - dealer response was to instantly authorise that it be repaired. My choice local or at dealers - I was going to Birmingham 2 weeks later so I waited and let them do it - invisible.

With the exception of Auto & Metallic. I assumed that all other features are worth nothing at sale time.

I worried over the Nav. at 2K it is expensive. I am now glad I went for it.

Whilst looking at the ex demo cars, I had hardened up on the feature set I wanted. I then phoned dealers in the south with the 'opportunity'. Give me 7% and I will order today - best I could get was 4% - Ex demo 30D was the better deal for me.
Thanks Rogerbu, can you let me know how you purchased your X3 i.e. BMW auth via local dealer??
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #25
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Thanks Rogerbu, can you let me know how you purchased your X3 i.e. BMW auth via local dealer??
As I had already talked to the remote (Birningham) dealer, my local dealer was not prepared to become involved.

The local dealer also said that the price via him would likely be higher than I could negotiate with the original dealer as he effectively 'bought' the car from the remote dealer then 'sold' it to me at a profit.

Do the sums very carefully on the ex demo cars, there seems no pattern of discount versus time as demo or miles. Some cars were even being sold at a negative discount.

I built an excel worksheet that built each car I was interested in from base + each feature I wanted. Less the price the car was being sold at to give me an effective discount (features I was not prepared to pay for ie Internet were not counted).

One of the reasons that the Birmingham ex demo worked out well was that the dealer was part of the Synter Group. They got me a good price on my Toyota from a Toyota dealer within the Synter Group.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
As I had already talked to the remote (Birningham) dealer, my local dealer was not prepared to become involved.

The local dealer also said that the price via him would likely be higher than I could negotiate with the original dealer as he effectively 'bought' the car from the remote dealer then 'sold' it to me at a profit.

Do the sums very carefully on the ex demo cars, there seems no pattern of discount versus time as demo or miles. Some cars were even being sold at a negative discount.

I built an excel worksheet that built each car I was interested in from base + each feature I wanted. Less the price the car was being sold at to give me an effective discount (features I was not prepared to pay for ie Internet were not counted).

One of the reasons that the Birmingham ex demo worked out well was that the dealer was part of the Synter Group. They got me a good price on my Toyota from a Toyota dealer within the Synter Group.
Thanks again Rogerbu. I've looked at the official used list on the BMW UK website and can't find any 3.0D under £39k, so I can only assume you wanted a top spec 2.0D. Did you manage to get any discount on the quoted used price? Would you mind sharing your build excel worksheet?
Appreciate 0