BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #45
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
Dont do the dunlop route...

below is a picture of mine still with 7mm tread,already showing signs of splitting.. and these arnt the worst photos...

What is the manufacture date of them?

I have had that on the last three sets of Continentals, gutted that Dunlop seem to have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #46
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Is that a non runflat?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #47
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
2013 late, non run flat sport sp.

Have already contacted Dunlop , who warranty for 5 years, great.

Well not really, they only way to claim is by sending them back through either the original retailer or through any other tyre retailer that you buy your new tyres from.

This means that they will refund you through the retailer pro rata based on the remaining tread, eg 80% tread left, 80% refund.

This all sounds fine, but it means you cannot buy from the online retailers we mentioned earlier, so it basically balances out. You pay more but get a refund, or you pay less but don't get refund! Gutted...

To be fair they are still safe to drive on, this cracking although unwanted, doesn't really cause any real issues. But having said that, I'm still not happy with the cracking...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #48
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Loads of tyres do it now, Continental looked at mine and came back and said I had left them out in the sun too long. It is a bloody car FFS!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #49
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Loads of tyres do it now, Continental looked at mine and came back and said I had left them out in the sun too long. It is a bloody car FFS!!
This
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #50
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
They will be saying you got them too wet next! Actually, that is more likely in the UK!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 02:24 AM   #51
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Oh come on gIzzE, I think you need to make more of an effort and keep the car in the shade or at least garage it if the sun is out. Maybe put some sun cream on the tyres?

AnyGreg - Did you notice a big difference going to non runflats?
I know I keep asking different people (inc Ian), but its good to get several opinions.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 03:08 AM   #52
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
Oh come on gIzzE, I think you need to make more of an effort and keep the car in the shade or at least garage it if the sun is out. Maybe put some sun cream on the tyres?

AnyGreg - Did you notice a big difference going to non runflats?
I know I keep asking different people (inc Ian), but its good to get several opinions.

Thanks
Problem is there is just too much sun in the UK! Lol

Yeah, as Gizze says, it's a big difference, I've done it on a few of my BMs, pros and cons either way buddy.

I just keep 2 tins of the 500ml holts tire weld plus compressor in the boot, never used em, last tin expired lol
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:05 AM   #53
andmar444
Registered
Philippines
Rep
Drives: X3 2014 Silver, Q3 tfsi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
Whilst on the topic of changing / replacing tyres, are we expected to change all 4 tyres at the same time when the time comes? (whether you're replacing runflats for runflats or standard for standard)
Is it still recommended to replace all at once?

I have staggered tyres, in case it makes a difference.

Just thought this information would be beneficial for all.

Thanks
Hi Petex3, (and everyone on this thread who can help..)

So hows your experience w/ staggered tires? My rear right tire (stock dunlop sp rft) got busted yesterday (bad 3rd world roads) and im not sure whether to change all, the 2 rears or just the busted one. And can i use a different brand? -- Yokohama is whats readily available here...Or should i change to regular tires? THanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #54
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
OP

When it came time to replace the OEM Goodyear LS2's on our X3, size 245/45-19, I wanted to stay with run flats for safety and convenience, especially since our X3 is primarily my wife's car.

Replaced the LS2s with Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP (run flat) tires. We like them, have no issues. Ride quality is good, although we have DHP which may be a factor; handling and snow traction is fine, at least for an all season; they are quiet; and they hold air pressure very well.
We have an appointment this Friday to have our LS2s replaced with the Michelin MXM4s as well - looking forward to seeing how the ride changes. The Svc Advisor at the tire store agreed that, in his opinion, they were the best choice for run flats on the X3.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #55
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We have RFTs in summer but our winter tyres are non-rft. Dont really notice much difference between the two, certainly handling is the same.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3

Last edited by plymjack; 08-22-2015 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:13 AM   #56
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by andmar444 View Post
Hi Petex3, (and everyone on this thread who can help..)

So hows your experience w/ staggered tires? My rear right tire (stock dunlop sp rft) got busted yesterday (bad 3rd world roads) and im not sure whether to change all, the 2 rears or just the busted one. And can i use a different brand? -- Yokohama is whats readily available here...Or should i change to regular tires? THanks!
Hi andmar444,

Apologies for the late response, I have been on vacation
My experience with staggered tyres has been fine, but then again I've had them on two other BM's in the past without any issues.
I currently have the stock tyres, Pirelli P Zero Runflats.

In answer to your question, I guess it depends on how much tread you have left on your other tyres? If they are all pretty low, then I guess it's time to replace all four tyres. I wouldn't recommend having two different tyre brands on the car, as this can cause issues with the handling apparently.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #57
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

3 questions here
1) I have the Pirelli run flats driving me crazy with their crashyness on bad roads, will switching will guarantee smoother ride? Thought new RFTs are better for don't Want to go through all this and find it really is the suspension setup.
2) is there an alternative to a spare tire when you switch to non RFTs like the skinny tire of old I hardly have space to keep a full spare in the limited room of my X4 trunk.
3) Any special process for the swap ?

Last edited by Bimar; 09-08-2015 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #58
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

1) Yeah. Crap with them, great without.

2) You can just buy a space saver.
But to be honest the gunk and compressor will get you home just as well.

3) Yeah, you get your wallet out and take a beating on 4 new tyres that should have been fitted from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #59
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
3 questions here
1) I have the Pirelli run flats driving me crazy with their crashyness on bad roads, will switching will guarantee smoother ride? Thought new RFTs are better for don't Want to go through all this and find it really is the suspension setup. ...
As F/U to my 18 Aug 2015 post - we now have about 900 miles on our new Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP 245/45 R19 102H Run-flat tires having just returned from a Labor Day extended Holiday trip.

I've got to say the ride is leagues above what we were experiencing with our original Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires. My wife got tired of hearing me say, 'I feel like I have a new car' during our travels.

Whether you would have a similar experience is impossible to predict, especially if you do have issues other than your tires causing the poor ride, but for us this was a great option as we wished to stay with Run-flats. Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #60
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
3 questions here
1) I have the Pirelli run flats driving me crazy with their crashyness on bad roads, will switching will guarantee smoother ride? Thought new RFTs are better for don't Want to go through all this and find it really is the suspension setup.
2) is there an alternative to a spare tire when you switch to non RFTs like the skinny tire of old I hardly have space to keep a full spare in the limited room of my X4 trunk.
3) Any special process for the swap ?
Not sure since you have a X4, but on my X3 after switching to non-rft (MXM4), the crashiness is gone.

That being said, it is still a firm ride (more like the older BMWs). The non-rft will reduce the impact harshness but won't help soften your suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #61
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
Not sure since you have a X4, but on my X3 after switching to non-rft (MXM4), the crashiness is gone.

That being said, it is still a firm ride (more like the older BMWs). The non-rft will reduce the impact harshness but won't help soften your suspension.
The standard suspension on the X4 is firmer than the same on X3 I could do all this and still get the same, drove the FJ Cruiser on same roads was more supple than a Merc hehehe!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #62
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post

I agree, It doesn't ruin the suspension at all, it still has the control you expect from a BMW, just you no longer cringe when you hit a pothole or raised ironworks, it just soaks it all up. The other thing is you get much more bite on the rear when cornering fast on roads that are not the best of surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #63
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I agree, It doesn't ruin the suspension at all, it still has the control you expect from a BMW, just you no longer cringe when you hit a pothole or raised ironworks, it just soaks it all up. The other thing is you get much more bite on the rear when cornering fast on roads that are not the best of surfaces.
Exactly what I want soak the bumps just a bit, I notice on warmer days tires less crashy. After 1 year and 4000 miles ready to switch out the RFTs., softest tires even gotten were the Dunlop Grantrek AT3 if I can get anything close for my 18s will be relieved.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 05:38 AM   #64
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 335is convertible (manual)

Regarding the space saver spare, would someone please post the BMW part number? Thanks.
'06 330i MT, sport,premium (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 05:46 AM   #65
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbuzzy View Post
Regarding the space saver spare, would someone please post the BMW part number? Thanks.
Do not know the number, but here is the link for you drivers in the USA..

http://www.bimmerzone.com/product/BIM-SST-F25-KIT.html

also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emergency-Sp...-/371409110112

Last edited by Peter_R; 09-09-2015 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: Added another link
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #66
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I think loads of BMW space savers will fit, just be careful with some of the ones designed for 5 series, they have a different hub size.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=36_1274
Appreciate 0