BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

Brake issue in hot weather

During a heat spell in the last week of June (the temperature was above 30*C / 86*F) my brake pedal started to sink under constant pressure and need to be depressed further and further to maintain the same braking force.

A few times at a stop, I'd be holding the brake pedal constantly and the car would start rolling forward again until I pressed the brakes further, all the way until it was about 1 inch off the floor.

I haven't read about any issues like this concerning F25s, but all other forums seem to point to a faulty master cylinder.

I took the car in to the shop a couple days ago, but with it being a relatively cool day, they weren't able to replicate the issue and the diagnostics ended there (after also checking for fault codes).

There's a lot of you in much warmer climates than here in Calgary... Anyone else experienced this issue? I feel like the dealership could/should have been more proactive, but I'm a bit at a loss as to what else they could do. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

No problems here in inland So. California.

Last time you had a brake bleed....brake fluid is hydrophilic.

Somewhere off the internet...."Because brake fluid is well known as a hygroscopic fluid, its molecular O-H structure easily allows hydrogen bonding with hydromolecules, e.g., H2O. The moist brake fluid reduces the boiling point and moreover causes the deterioration of the functionality of the brake system."
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
ChicagoNorthShore
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangsta View Post
During a heat spell in the last week of June (the temperature was above 30*C / 86*F) my brake pedal started to sink under constant pressure and need to be depressed further and further to maintain the same braking force.

A few times at a stop, I'd be holding the brake pedal constantly and the car would start rolling forward again until I pressed the brakes further, all the way until it was about 1 inch off the floor.

I haven't read about any issues like this concerning F25s, but all other forums seem to point to a faulty master cylinder.

I took the car in to the shop a couple days ago, but with it being a relatively cool day, they weren't able to replicate the issue and the diagnostics ended there (after also checking for fault codes).

There's a lot of you in much warmer climates than here in Calgary... Anyone else experienced this issue? I feel like the dealership could/should have been more proactive, but I'm a bit at a loss as to what else they could do. Thoughts?
It was just 90 degrees here in Chicago and I drove the car around all day and had absolutely no problems, must be your car.
Appreciate 0