BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Tailgate/boot close question

Quick question regarding how the tailgate closes....

It's a manual close, but noticed when you rest it closed it doesn't pull the tailgate shut like on the F11 5 series touring. Is this right?

I have to give it a good slam to close it, doesn't sound right when it closes? Just picked this vehicle up used so am unfamiliar of how they close?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

You need the auyo option for that....sorry.
      07-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
You need the auyo option for that....sorry.
my old man has the F11 manual close, the latch/hook looks identical. (elongated hook/loop on tailgate like mine, and same latch too) you just rest his shut and it pulls it in the last inch...

you really have to give it a slam to close it just doesn't seem right?

also what is auyo??

suppose i could read the part number of the latch to see worse case...

cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
my old man has the F11 manual close, the latch/hook looks identical. (elongated hook/loop on tailgate like mine, and same latch too) you just rest his shut and it pulls it in the last inch...

you really have to give it a slam to close it just doesn't seem right?

also what is auyo??

suppose i could read the part number of the latch to see worse case...

cheers
Auyo is how I typed auto on my phone :-)

Yes it does need a slam, there's no assist on the non-auto close version. It does also clang somewhat.
      07-17-2015, 01:59 AM   #5
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

You may just need to adjust the rubber stoppers (on the tailgate itself) if it's that difficult to close. The only thing you need to be careful of is that you don't have them in too far as then the tailgate can rattle when you're driving (mentioned elsewhere on this forum).

I actually think mine closes with a nice thud and I wouldn't say I have to slam it shut either. I guess on some maybe the number plate is loose and it's that which causes the rattle effect?

Just to add - It has no automatic pull in mechanism if you just try and close the tailgate gently, as Clive mentioned you would need the electric tailgate and that wouldn't need any manual intervention (well, shouldn't!).

Last edited by PX3; 07-17-2015 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: Added additional comment
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 02:25 AM   #6
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
You may just need to adjust the rubber stoppers (on the tailgate itself) if it's that difficult to close. The only thing you need to be careful of is that you don't have them in too far as then the tailgate can rattle when you're driving (mentioned elsewhere on this forum).

I actually think mine closes with a nice thud and I wouldn't say I have to slam it shut either. I guess on some maybe the number plate is loose and it's that which causes the rattle effect?

Just to add - It has no automatic pull in mechanism if you just try and close the tailgate gently, as Clive mentioned you would need the electric tailgate and that wouldn't need any manual intervention (well, shouldn't!).
Thanks for the update guys..

Yes, did think the Number plate may need some adhesive strips as that could twang. If I drop the tail gate the last say 12" it doesn't close under its own weight, if I give it moderate assistance, it doesn't close, bit of a firm slam (not swinging off it) it thuds shut!

Did see the rubber stops, but as this is a used car I'm assuming it's possibly setup right, as the original owner would of had it in with BMW for sure.

There is such a noticeable difference from shutting the doors to the tailgate, the doors shut with a real nice sound and little effort, the tailgate sounds cheap with what I consider to Much force to close, as stated it does need a bit of a slam...

Will have a play today

Thanks again guys
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
The short answer is that the X3's tailgate is nothing near to quiet in its closing action or sound. Of course, one man's noisy is another man's acceptable, but based on my experience it's nothing near as smooth as closing the other doors. Even with the auto tailgate on mine, it closes with a fairly noisy thud.
Appreciate 0