BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #23
Iowa X3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denrusso View Post
Yes, I have that as well. I turn it off sometimes, just don't remember to do it every time I drive.

Is there a way to turn the feature off for when you start the vehicle?

Thanks,
dr
You can code it to stay off permanently. I used Carly for BMW to disable it, this way I don't have to manually hit that button each time.

As soon as I found out about the timing chain issue after I bought my 2013 I stopped allowing ASS to do it's thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #24
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Tesla continues to make improvements in their manufacturing. This article is from over a year ago.
There have been some more recent developments and news items with regard to Tesla that may be of interest.

Consumer Reports in its recent tests found significant flaws in the Tesla Model 3 braking distance, ride quality and controls that prevented it from recommending this model. There were positives reported in the range and driving excitement among other areas.

https://jalopnik.com/consumer-report...sla-1826198783

A Tesla Model 3 owner clipped a parking sign resulting in a minor dent to a fender. He was shocked to find the repair cost $7000. Whether the high cost is due to the limited experience with similar Tesla repairs or how the Tesla is designed is not clear to me. However, this type of repair experience for a minor collision has the potential to increase insurance costs for other owners of the Tesla Model 3 in the future.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/20...edium=referral

Elon Musk recently announced a higher performing Model 3 that will sell for $78K. Meanwhile, the base priced $35K Model 3 will not be offered for 3 to 6 months after a 5,000 unit per month manufacturing rate is achieved. This may mean the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit will not be available by the time the base model is available. Musk reported that Tesla would "lose money and die" if it sold the base model earlier. It will be interesting to see how Tesla competes for its future sales when its customers no longer receive the benefit of a substantial federal tax credit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-...18-5?r=UK&IR=T
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #25
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
There have been some more recent developments and news items with regard to Tesla that may be of interest.

Consumer Reports in its recent tests found significant flaws in the Tesla Model 3 braking distance, ride quality and controls that prevented it from recommending this model. There were positives reported in the range and driving excitement among other areas.

https://jalopnik.com/consumer-report...sla-1826198783
Yes, I've read this as well. As I previously stated, Tesla continues to have Q/C issues especially with respect to new models and this an area they need to address. I think part of the problem is how far above demand is compared to supply. They are under a tremendous amount of pressure to deliver and it seems that they may be "cutting corners" in some aspects.

I think it's interesting that one of your arguments is Tesla's poor quality. The basis of me writing this thread has to do with needing to replace my engine after 6 years/90,000 miles. BMW even extended their warranty for the issue I am experiencing for 7 years/70,000 miles - outside of my window. A base warranty on Tesla battery pack (one could consider this it's engine?) is 8 years/unlimited miles.

They may have some issues with Q/C but at least they stand behind their product better than some brands.

Quote:
A Tesla Model 3 owner clipped a parking sign resulting in a minor dent to a fender. He was shocked to find the repair cost $7000. Whether the high cost is due to the limited experience with similar Tesla repairs or how the Tesla is designed is not clear to me. However, this type of repair experience for a minor collision has the potential to increase insurance costs for other owners of the Tesla Model 3 in the future.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/20...edium=referral
After reading the article and learning that of the $7,000, $5,500 is labor I think it fair to say this is due to the unfamiliarity of this car and probably the other two Tesla models as well. Again, as more are sold, there will be more service needed and more techs trained on them. This will also result in additional charging stations installed throughout the country.

As it is right now, with careful planning, you can drive anywhere you need in one of these vehicles.

Quote:
Elon Musk recently announced a higher performing Model 3 that will sell for $78K. Meanwhile, the base priced $35K Model 3 will not be offered for 3 to 6 months after a 5,000 unit per month manufacturing rate is achieved. This may mean the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit will not be available by the time the base model is available. Musk reported that Tesla would "lose money and die" if it sold the base model earlier. It will be interesting to see how Tesla competes for its future sales when its customers no longer receive the benefit of a substantial federal tax credit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-...18-5?r=UK&IR=T
Agreed. I personally don't think the credit is as big of an incentive to get people to purchase the vehicle. If you have the means to purchase one, you've driven it, and understand what you are buying than the $7,500 is just a nice bonus you can expect to receive next April.

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #26
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think it's interesting that one of your arguments is Tesla's poor quality. The basis of me writing this thread has to do with needing to replace my engine after 6 years/90,000 miles. BMW even extended their warranty for the issue I am experiencing for 7 years/70,000 miles - outside of my window. A base warranty on Tesla battery pack (one could consider this it's engine?) is 8 years/unlimited miles.
Based on posts in this forum and others the problems with the timing chain guide for the N20 engine appear to be largely limited to the 2013 model year and possibly some 2014 models, i.e., before the timing chain guide redesign. It is hard to ascertain how widespread this problem is from forum posts like yours.

Consumer Reports rates the reliability of the 2013 X3 above average for both minor and major engine issues. CR rates the 2014 X3 much better than average for both minor and major engine issues. CR states the "average" for both major and minor engine problems for 2013 or 2014 models is 1%. If the 2013 X3 is above average in reliability than major engine problems and minor engine problems were reported to CR for less than 1% of these vehicles. This CR reliability report does not suggest a widespread quality problem with the X3 engines.

Unfortunately, you were among the early X3 28i (N20 engine) owners that experienced the timing chain failure. Your routine use of automated stop start may have contributed to the problem as discussed in posts above. This timing chain problem has been widely discussed in forums like this one. Some owners chose to replace the timing chain guide to mitigate the risk.

I too would be frustrated if my engine failed as yours did. However, it seems extreme to extrapolate a widespread QC problem from this thread. I would give more weight to a statistical analysis of a larger data sample like the one from Consumer Reports.

All owners might value a longer, unlimited mileage warranty. Of course, BMW also offers the option of purchasing an extended warranty. BMW at no cost to owner in this case extended the USA warranty for 7 years and 70,000 miles for a specific problem in certain vehicles. It is indeed unfortunate this extended warranty did not cover your problem. Again, I too would be upset in your situation.

Not sure that I equate the Tesla battery warranty with the warranty on an internal combustion engine. Certainly, an 8 year/ unlimited mileage warranty on the battery should reassure Tesla owners. It is interesting to me that there has been some discussion by Tesla owners of how this battery warranty may be applied in the future.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...y-warranty-how

Last edited by MichiganMike; 05-23-2018 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #27
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1089085

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1445907

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07.../#comment-3950
      05-23-2018, 11:02 PM   #28
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your routine use of automated stop start may have contributed to the problem as discussed in posts above.
Should I not have used ASS? I would hope that if this function does cause damage to the engine then BMW would allow us to turn it off permanently? Or do they force you to keep it on only to justify mpg ratings?

If it were a Tesla they would just send an update to the car. When I wake the next morning it would be resolved. For free. Not to mention additional improvements such as an additional 68hp. For free. How much does BMW charge for a map update?

https://www.motor1.com/news/64232/la...0-hp-increase/

Quote:
I too would be frustrated if my engine failed as yours did. However, it seems extreme to extrapolate a widespread QC problem from this thread. I would give more weight to a statistical analysis of a larger data sample like the one from Consumer Reports.
Consumer Reports rates cars on a scale of 0-100. The Model S scored 103. CR had to make changes to it's scoring methodology just for this car so the end result was a perfect 100. The first care ever to do so. Ever. This from a relatively new car manufacturer.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/27/auto...85d/index.html

Again, as I have previously stated in this thread, their newly released vehicles do tend to have QC issues. But they do address them and correct them as they are being produced and not necessarily wait for a new model.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...3-reliability/

Quote:
BMW at no cost to owner in this case extended the USA warranty for 7 years and 70,000 miles for a specific problem in certain vehicles.
And right here is how I extrapolate a widespread QC problem. Not from this thread but from BMW essentially admitting that there is a problem.

Quote:
Not sure that I equate the Tesla battery warranty with the warranty on an internal combustion engine.
Well, it's what powers the car.

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #29
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep

OK - just heard back from my mechanic. The car is ready! Total cost is $7,200 includes the engine and labor. He was surprised that the engine came with the water pump so I saved a few $ there (list on the water pump is $500). He did also change out the starter as it does have 90k miles and changing one is labor intensive if the engine is still in. So with the access he had, he went ahead and did it.

I asked that he code ASS off and he will try to complete that prior to me picking it up tomorrow morning.

He reiterated that he was surprised about the cost of the new engine - $3,300 from his local BMW dealership. He was expecting at minimum double that and probably more. He test drove it and said the car feels great.

Looking forward to getting her back!!

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #30
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Consumer Reports in its recent tests found significant flaws in the Tesla Model 3 braking distance, ride quality and controls that prevented it from recommending this model.
And just like that, Tesla fixed the issue. Via an over-the-air update that was delivered to owners. For free.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...raking-update/

From the article: "I’ve been at CR for 19 years and tested more than 1,000 cars,” says Jake Fisher, director of auto testing at Consumer Reports, “and I’ve never seen a car that could improve its track performance with an over-the-air update.”

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #31
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

So far, for reliability over my first 59K miles, I had the wheel speed sensors replaced under warranty.

I've had to add a small amount of coolant a couple times. Not able to figure out the pattern.

And, in bad/cold weather, some of the sensors like to give faults. But comes back in better weather.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #32
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I have a 2015 X3 2.8i with a build date of 05/14. Can anyone tell me if my engine has the new and improved timing belt design?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #33
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark View Post
I have a 2015 X3 2.8i with a build date of 05/14. Can anyone tell me if my engine has the new and improved timing belt design?
You do not have the revised timing chain.

https://bmwtechnician.com/2019/01/31...ain-7-70-list/
      07-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #34
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
You do not have the revised timing chain.

https://bmwtechnician.com/2019/01/31...ain-7-70-list/
AWESOME!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #35
Scott_M25
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3, 2015 M235, 2006 330

We just had this issue happen to us this past Monday. We had 104K miles on our 2013 X3 so the extended warranty didn't apply.

Got the standard "$11000 for used, $17000 for new" quote in addition to "or $5000 to fix the timing chain and roll the dice that there was no additional damage to the engine"

All bad options. Total sh*t sandwich.

I called around and got the following quotes from local shops:
  • $10000 new, $8000 used
  • $8200 used (40k miles, all parts, taxes labor incl. - 6 month warranty)
  • $6150 used (50K miles, all parts, taxes labor incl. - 6 month warranty)

Unreal that this happened. Admittedly I was completely ignorant to this even being an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #36
ubviswanath
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i

Please register a complaint on NHTSA website for Timing-Chain issue

I called NHTSA today and so far they only have a couple of complaints pertaining to the timing-chain problem. There are 68 other complaints related to power-braking and an investigation is launched for only that.

This timing-chain is a universal problem and I seriously insist that a complaint be filed so an investigation can begin.

Can you take a moment and go to www.nhtsa.gov and write up a complaint of when your issue occurred and what you have done about it.

It takes less than 5 minutes and is very very straight forward - enter VIN number (it is available online on your insurance declaration page), select "Engine & Powertrain" as the affected components and type in the incident.

Also contact KKG Law office and talk to the paralegal about your issue.

Appreciate 0