BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
medan
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D

Braking Smoothly

I was wondering if anyone else have this minor issue of not braking the x3 smoothly to a complete halt.

When I am coming to a stop, I can never manage to brake the x3 smoothly. There is a slight "jerk" before coming to a complete stop.

I never had this issue with braking smoothly on my other cars (Ford, Honda, etc).

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this. Is it an issue with the brakes? or transmission?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medan View Post
I was wondering if anyone else have this minor issue of not braking the x3 smoothly to a complete halt.

When I am coming to a stop, I can never manage to brake the x3 smoothly. There is a slight "jerk" before coming to a complete stop.

I never had this issue with braking smoothly on my other cars (Ford, Honda, etc).

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this. Is it an issue with the brakes? or transmission?
My X3 has that problem before...... Sent it for brake service and the jerking has gone.....
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
iwinit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I think it is a common problem in many new BMW cars with the 8-speed automatic transmission and brake energy regeneration. My 2011 535i had the same problem. But you will get used to it and learn how to brake smoothly accordingly. (Hint: gradually reduce your braking force prior to a complete stop.)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I agree with iwinit that a lot of the jerkiness can be attributed to the transmission. One thing to keep in mind is that the ZF transmission constantly downshifts as your speed decreases. This can attribute to a slight jerky sensation when slowing. The advice about gradually decreasing braking force prior to coming to a stop is helpful too. Definitely takes some getting used to.

While on the brake topic, has anyone noticed the difference in initial brake bite when you lazily move your foot from gas to brake pedal versus when you rapidly move foot from gas to brake? As they described it to us at the PCD experience, if you move your foot quick enough the brakes 'pre-tense' in anticipation for an emergency stop situation, which in my opinion is a very cool feature and works really really well on our X3. The thing is, if you go fast enough from gas to brake, in a non emergency situation you can still trigger this initial aggressive bite and the results can be startling.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

While on the topic of braking, anybody else feel like the brakes are underwhelming on this car. I feel like they don't have enough bite and I often start braking gradually only to have to add more pressure than I'm used to in order to actually stop. Maybe it's the weight of the car, or just that I'm comparing it to my M3's stock brakes, but I'm still not used to them especially when switching back and forth between cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplayin View Post
While on the topic of braking, anybody else feel like the brakes are underwhelming on this car. I feel like they don't have enough bite and I often start braking gradually only to have to add more pressure than I'm used to in order to actually stop. Maybe it's the weight of the car, or just that I'm comparing it to my M3's stock brakes, but I'm still not used to them especially when switching back and forth between cars.
I was thinking this today actually.. I too have come from an M3, so its probably not really a fair comparison between the two, but yes.. they are nowhere near as sharp as the M3's.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

My point of comparison is a 911 so for me the X3 brakes are very L O N G...You need to start braking much earlier because of the weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
..they are nowhere near as sharp as the M3's.
Yup - according to Edmunds, the E46 M3 has it beat from 60-0 by..........3 feet.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplayin View Post
I agree that for normal breaking the bite feels softer than in my previous BMW's, but I think it's more the pedal than the capability. The couple times (and only a couple so far) that I've needed to stop quite fast, the system feels very different, much more like the previous cars, and comes to a quick stop. I expect it's farther than a lighter/smaller BMW, but it was a lot shorter than I'd expected having noticed the different brake feel. Curious if you notice the same.
      01-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have similar experiences as Nahoa and believe it's more so the distance one needs to travel when pushing the brake pedal more so then the brakes not being up to the job.

One thing that I really like about the X3 compared to previous cars that I've owned is that so far I haven't experience esp kicking or the anti-lock brakes pumping when braking hard even when raining.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

+1 on that. One of two "quick stops" was an emergency stop and it was very smooth (and I didn't hit anything). No chatter.
      05-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
Joseph Chen
Registered
Rep
Drives: Iszuzu Trooper

Thumbs up X3 downshift jerks problem

a slight "jerk" before coming to a complete stop..... the problem you are experiencing is caused by the unbalance between the engine to the transmission lubrication, and this problem is resulting in the high oil temperature. Your ATF oil temperature must be over 100 degrees (normally the oil temperature is 85 to 100 degrees) I used ATF LUKE G-7 excluded my problem and have received excellent improvement. I shear to you for reference.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

No noticed any issue - the brakes perform fine, more concerned about the car behind not being as quick to stop! Had need for one "quick" stop and it felt very good and under control all the time.
Never had a "performance" car so cant really compare it.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Re the softness, it does firm up a bit after 1000 miles. I may still bed the pads in to see if that helps more but haven't had the time.
Appreciate 0