BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
bcaz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

First glitch today ...

As a fresh owner of a 2012 x3 28i, I've enjoyed five weeks and 900+ miles of trouble-free performance. On the way home tonight I pushed it into Sport (w/DHC) and tooled up a nice winding road at a spirited speed. Not that it's related, but when I attempted to turn on the radio -- FM, satellite, AM, whatever -- the car was stony silent. Phone, same thing. I pulled over and powered down/re-started/re-booted the car twice to no effect. When I re-started I even got a message like "warning tones disabled" or something like that. Meanwhile the nav and other non-sound systems appeared to be intact. Finally, on the third stop/re-start, perhaps 30 minutes after the first, everything worked just fine.

Is this "normal," something that happens now and then that I should expect and shrug off? Or is there a serious problem? In fairness, my Windows-based laptop struggles on about 1 in 20-30 boots and I'm used to it -- they've always been this (annoying) way. My next laptop may be an Apple ...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Sounds very strange but it's one of those where if it doesn't happen again I would just ignore it. Not seen anything like that warning tones disabled message on this forum before

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I had a similar experience once. No stereo sound. I think the menus were still there, but I'm not positive. I turned off the car, got out, locked it, unlocked it, got back in, and started it up again. No warning messages along the way, so kinda similar and kinda not. It hasn't happened again, though.
      02-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

hehe, I wonder if Bill Gates drives a bimmer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I had a similar experience once. No stereo sound. I think the menus were still there, but I'm not positive. I turned off the car, got out, locked it, unlocked it, got back in, and started it up again. No warning messages along the way, so kinda similar and kinda not. It hasn't happened again, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Unlike Ford's Sync system, the x3 doesn't run on windows.

I would like to know how you got all those annoying warning chimes to turn off though.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post

I would like to know how you got all those annoying warning chimes to turn off though.
I couldn't turn them off but I was able to turn the volume down for most of them
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post

The original iDrive was in fact Windows CE based. This latest version runs on a QNX OS.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
The original iDrive was in fact Windows CE based.
Informational, but not exactly relevant.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaz
As a fresh owner of a 2012 x3 28i, I've enjoyed five weeks and 900+ miles of trouble-free performance. On the way home tonight I pushed it into Sport (w/DHC) and tooled up a nice winding road at a spirited speed. Not that it's related, but when I attempted to turn on the radio -- FM, satellite, AM, whatever -- the car was stony silent. Phone, same thing. I pulled over and powered down/re-started/re-booted the car twice to no effect. When I re-started I even got a message like "warning tones disabled" or something like that. Meanwhile the nav and other non-sound systems appeared to be intact. Finally, on the third stop/re-start, perhaps 30 minutes after the first, everything worked just fine.

Is this "normal," something that happens now and then that I should expect and shrug off? Or is there a serious problem? In fairness, my Windows-based laptop struggles on about 1 in 20-30 boots and I'm used to it -- they've always been this (annoying) way. My next laptop may be an Apple ...
Just keep in mind that your bluetooth connection can get hung up. Bluetooth has the capability to mute the sound system such as when making a call.

Perhaps when you were in sport mode you flew around a curve and accidentally jarred your bt telephone causing an anomalous condition with the phone and in turn muting your sound system?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
bcaz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Just keep in mind that your bluetooth connection can get hung up. Bluetooth has the capability to mute the sound system such as when making a call.

Perhaps when you were in sport mode you flew around a curve and accidentally jarred your bt telephone causing an anomalous condition with the phone and in turn muting your sound system?
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. It hasn't happened again yet, but if it does I'll turn off and re-boot the phone to see if it's the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #11
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Happened to me twice. I switched to a different driver profile and then back again. It worked.

The second time a few weeks later, I shut the car off and locked it, waited 15 seconds, and started it back up again. All was well. Did the same for my friend's Range Rover. She looked at me like I was a genius.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

I just had this no warning tones glitch happen today. Got into the car after a 15 minute rest stop break and no tones would sound, including no audio from the stereo. I restarted the car 3 times and nothing changed. Drove for 30 miles, filed up the tank, and tones came back on after refueling (and obviously restarting). Annoying.

This was a 2013 x3 3.5 m sport.
Appreciate 0